Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Cherries!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: July 12, 2010 05:10PM

Hi everyone-

When cherries became available in the market in May, I bought a few bags and was like--meh. I just wasn't into them all that much; wasn't feeling the taste. I even wondered how people go on and on about loving cherries and why when I have had cherry pie, it's my fave. Well, the other day more cherries came in and I wasn't gonna get them but my boyfriend digs them. I had some and was floored! These were deep red and juicy/sweet. The other ones were not soft, lighter red, and not too sweet. Does anyone know if these are different varieties? And how long is this season? I thought cherry season was only in May--very short. But cherries are plentiful at the moment.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cherries!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: July 12, 2010 05:18PM

there are many different varieties of cherries, which can provide harvests throughout the year, I even used to have one variety that tasted like an apple when slightly under ripe...I miss my fruit trees,lol... chances are the first ones you purchased just weren't as ripe as these if they weren't at least a little soft, they probably are different varieties, these deep red ones your talking about sound like good ripe bing cherries, not entirely sure what the other ones you previously purchased happened to be... could have been under ripe bings maybe?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: July 12, 2010 05:27PM

Curator, I was thinking this. The texture was not good. It was like when you order a fruit plate at a greasy spoon and they give you underripe melon, which is the pits (like the bad cherries, pardon the pun).

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: July 12, 2010 05:32PM

hahaha, yeah, most likely it then, it happens often in super markets, especially if the cherries are from far away, as they have to pick them under ripe so they dont spoil on their way to you...really makes me miss my cherry trees a ton!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: July 12, 2010 06:05PM

Cherries always seem to come from WA. I wonder why that is? I mean, maybe they get more rain or something. But same with blueberries. They grow lots of them in Maine, but they grow many places, as do strawberries (although the wild ones I have had came from Wisconsin and they were tiny like other berries).

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 12, 2010 06:12PM

Cherry season in the Upper Midwest begins in June, for both sour and sweet; sweet lasts until the end of August. You may have gotten cherries from someplace else that were under ripe[a tragedy]. I cannot wait to go to the farmers market this weekend, where there will be cherries from all over Michigan, where the best cherries are grown, if I do say so myself : )

Date: July 13, 2010 12:21AM

Tamukha: Wow, MI? I think mine have all been from WA, although I was just at a farmer's market in my hometown on Sat. (outside Chicago) and they had cherries for $5 a pint or quart-sized container. Since I had scored these awesome ones, I didn't buy the others. It seemed a bit steep for that small a container.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 24, 2010 10:30PM

I'm thinking they were probably two different varieties. My local groceries sell one kind, that I can't think of the name of, that are an almost whitish-yellow with pink and then Bing cherries which are a more deep red/purple. The other ones, I hate (though the same variety picked straight from a cherry tree are delish!) but I am obsessed with Bing ones smiling smiley

Date: July 24, 2010 11:26PM

Oh man, the cherries we are getting lately... Sah~WEET! Big fat black ones and these amazing other ones that are light yellow with hints of light red, they are even sweeter than the bings. I could make myself sick on cherries.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 25, 2010 07:16AM

geeeez whieeezzz

whho DOESN['T luv CHERRIES

u can't go wrong with em

yummmmmy

great snack for reading books too

i associate cherries with reading books

then again, i associate just about ALL yummy fruits ( peaches \too) with reading books LOLsmiling smiley

but cherries specially

Date: July 25, 2010 12:59PM

I have a good friend who is completely serious when she says that she HATES cherries. She's the only person I've ever met who doesn't like them-- they're so tasty!

Date: July 25, 2010 08:22PM

The earlier ones (that were just aight) were lighter red and blah, not too sweet or juicy. Either a different variety or picked too soon. They were a bit firm, not soft and sweet.

Posted by: pineapplegirl ()
Date: July 29, 2010 07:57PM

WAH!

I ate a bag of cherries last night, not organic, I should know better.

they were very good though, but I checked and they are on that "dirty dozen" list

of the worst offenders on non-organic produce.

were these organic cherries that all on this thread are eating?

Date: July 29, 2010 09:10PM

@Pineapple Girl: Nope...I didn't know they were on the Dirty Dozen, either. I don't think I have seen organic cherries around, even at Whole Foods!

Posted by: Krefcenz ()
Date: July 29, 2010 09:54PM

What % can be removed through washing? Cherries are a stone fruit (e.g. pit, not Brad Pit, that's for the best looking cherry, but still a pit). Anyway, their smooth non-pourous surfaces. So how much can be washed off??? a lot a I bet unless it's a systemic. If it's a systemic, you are SOL. Eat melons and citrus instead. Cherries are the pits!!!

Posted by: pineapplegirl ()
Date: July 29, 2010 10:38PM

hey banana who! yah, they are on the dirty dozen.

once a year I do see organic cherries, but I don't think they sell very well,

they are at an outrageous price, could even be up to $10 or more a pound.

Krefcenz...Cherries are the pits!!! hahaha!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables