Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

am I eating too much fruit?
Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: July 22, 2010 03:41AM

smiling smiley

People ask me how much I eat each day to be as fit, slim and healthy as I am.

Here is a vid about it.
[www.youtube.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: am I eating too much fruit?
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: July 22, 2010 07:09AM

Wish I could get watermelons like that here in the UK. Just out of interest how much does a watermelon like that cost? We can get small watermelons but I have NEVER even seen an organic one!!

Date: July 22, 2010 10:02AM

I can remember that exact melon, sometimes its 5 $AUS a kg. We spend up to a 1000$ a week on fruit for us 2.

Date: July 22, 2010 01:28PM

wow - what d'you do - rob a bank smiling smiley

Posted by: rad gal ()
Date: July 22, 2010 01:51PM

$1000 a week on fruit??

How might those of us on a humbler budget succeed??

Posted by: Want2know ()
Date: July 22, 2010 02:41PM

yes, definitely an issue. also when having considered the costs if or when health gets damaged from cooked and non vegan food.
it's not something that joins the people. raw vegan diet becoming popular means health to the rich! that can't be the goal. raw foodists have got to become political about it..grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2010 02:42PM by Want2know.

Posted by: omega-3 ()
Date: July 22, 2010 04:13PM

I agree; we've got to become political about it! But I don't think I spend more on a raw vegan diet. I think I may spend less, actually. I have no idea how Durianrider spends $1000 a week on fruit. Well, I guess it's because he's a serious athlete. I exercise moderately, but I don't run marathons or anything, and I get so much nutrition per unit with my organic raw food (including tons of fruit)... it's certainly cheaper than going out to eat regularly, as many people do. I sure wish organics were cheaper, however.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 22, 2010 06:41PM

The organic watermelon I had recently was vile, vile I tell you! Watermelon is a low pesticide crop, so buy conventional at the farmers market for three bucks and enjoy! I think duranrider's costs might come from the addition of dates and things, plus the volumes he eats don't compare to most of our nutrition needs. I am not a marathoner, so 2500-3000 calories would kill me.

Posted by: Mean One ()
Date: July 22, 2010 07:30PM

According to Davis and Melina, in Becoming Raw, the average caloric intake needs for a sedentary or moderately active woman are 1800 to 2000 calories and 2400 to 2600 calories for a moderately active man. p.76 The average raw vegan caloric intake across all studies was 1700. p.77 Takes a lot less money to maintain 1700 to 2400 than 3000+. fwiw.

Anyone who clings to the historically untrue - and thoroughly immoral - doctrine 'that violence never settles anything' I would advise to conjure up the ghosts of Napoleon Bonaparte and of the Duke of Wellington and let them debate it. The ghost of Hitler could referee, and the jury might well be the Dodo, the Great Auk and the Passenger Pigeon. Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedom.

Robert Heinlein

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: July 22, 2010 08:16PM

maintenance calories are different depending on age/weight really.

But doesnt sound too far off.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: July 23, 2010 12:49AM

$1,000 a week? I spend less than that US a month on food for one.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: July 23, 2010 02:02AM

I spend that much in 5 months >.< lately theres been good sales too, best ive ever seen here since I was a small child, so ive had ALLOT of fruit... (10lbs of peaches just cost me $5, never seen peaches that cheap in my life!)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: omega-3 ()
Date: July 23, 2010 07:32PM

10 pounds of peaches for five bucks! I wish I could find deals like that. Well, at least I found cheap apricots at the farmers' market. Love apricots...

Date: July 24, 2010 01:47AM

they are really hard peaches, but actually have really amazing flavor, Im thinking some peach/pineapple sorbet may be in order...mmmmm....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: July 30, 2010 03:19AM

Hey its a lot more expensive in Australia! smiling smiley

You crew are so lucky living in the US/Canda/Europe..

I dont really care how much the fruit costs cos I have different priorities than I used to. I no longer see my body as a 'discount body'. I put in the best and forget the rest. I do look for bargains but if bargains aint around, I remind myself that every dollar I spend is a vote for what I believe...

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: July 30, 2010 05:11AM

Thanks, Mean One, for quoting from 'Becoming Raw' re calorie intake.

Their calorie figures make sense to me. One area in which I depart from other high-fruiters is on calorie intake. Some high-fruiters appear to think it impossible to thrive on less than 2500-3000 calories upwards (for a woman). My experience after three and a half years of raw is that this simply isn't true, or at least not true when you've been raw for a while.

Calorie-counting was part of my cooked life, and I'd never bothered to count them on raw, but recently I did tot up a day's calories and it came to 1800. That was on a day that included one and a half hours of hot yoga.

I'd say that was a typical day, so 1800 would be my average. If I stuff in any more than that, I usually feel bloated, uncomfortable and don't sleep well.

I feel very good on that, have never been ill since going raw, and have never craved cooked food, difficult though that may be for some to believe.

Date: July 30, 2010 06:02AM

I take issue with durianrider i'm afraid. You simply can't spend what you haven't got. I don't treat my body as a 'discount' body.

Although my eating is a priority in terms of how I spend my money so are my children and my other day to day living expenses.

For someone on a low income those comments are a little hard to deal with and seem ignorant and arrogant. (no offence meant)

Posted by: BackAgain ()
Date: August 01, 2010 03:16AM

flipperjan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I take issue with durianrider i'm afraid. You
> simply can't spend what you haven't got. I don't
> treat my body as a 'discount' body.
>
> Although my eating is a priority in terms of how I
> spend my money so are my children and my other day
> to day living expenses.
>
> For someone on a low income those comments are a
> little hard to deal with and seem ignorant and
> arrogant. (no offence meant)

I agree with you but I can't take the guy seriously. If the money isn't there, it's not there. $1,000 a week? There are months I don't even make $1,000 a month nevermind able to spend it a week. I'm sure it's great to have an easy life.

i have to say..nobody has ever refereed to me as a discount before.

Date: August 01, 2010 07:43AM

Im pretty sure most tropical fruits are more expensive in the US or canada, as they cant be grown in most parts of the U.S., and pretty much no part of canada...My friend sam was in australia from august of 2008 tll august of 2009, and he said fresh fruit was the cheapest he had ever seen it in his life, he DID say they had some CRAZY taxes while eating out, I cant remember all he said about the taxes, I think there was like some super high extra charge for alcohol, and they even let you bring your own, but you where still charged that tax or something for drinking it there, and a pizza place basically charged him some crazy extra amount for eating there on a certain day... is that normal throughout the country?

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 01, 2010 01:12PM

In OZ the gratuity, or tip, is included in the bill so waiters don't get stiffed by cheap aholes who don't feel they need to pay for the luxury of having a servant for the duration of their meal winking smiley.

A great way to afford fresh raw produce in the spring, summer and fall is to take advantage of the abundance of free stuff growing wild. A good guide book with full colour plates of the leaves, nuts and fruits growing in your area is invaluable. These are often nutritionally dense foods, superiour to super market produce by far. Many can be frozen or dried for use in the off season.

$1000 a week on food is really high for us. We 3 spend $400/month which is what I can afford. It's not like I'm living in a mansion and spending of frivolities either, diet is a priority for me. I mean, heck, I make lots of our clothes and fabric things we need out of other old fabric! $1000 a month... I Wish!

Date: August 02, 2010 10:24AM

My friend had to pay $25 for a single small pizza listed as $10 and 1 beer for $2...a 100% tip plus tax?lol...also, no waiter...sooo cashier tip?

yeah, I harvest the hell out of the local blackberries during their time of the year...mountain berries,salmon berries, thimble berries and huckleberries too...no nuts local to my area, some pine trees, illegal to harvest the seeds wild though as the set up you need to do so en-mass can harm animals potentially (giant plastic sheet under tree?eh...whatever...lol) and collecting them from the cones is more work than you get from then nutrition wise,LOL... spruce tip tea is wonderful, not raw though, but im ok with that, I dont want to eat raw spruce... but the massively high vitamin C (about 10 times the amount in an orange per cup on average.) maks it useful, plus deliciousgrinning smiley... dandelions seem actually rather sparse around here, mostly hawkweed out here apparently...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables