Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Weight loss
Posted by: tdquigley ()
Date: June 17, 2010 10:46PM

Hi all,
I have been 100% raw (including raw fish) for about three months now. I have lost a little weight but was expecting to lose more. I'm 5'6" and weigh around 110 lbs, which is fine but I think my ideal weight is about 5 lbs lighter.
Also, I often feel bloated in the mornings and my stomach is sometimes distended.
I don't normally eat much during the day but do eat at night.
I'm still waiting for that "bliss" feeling everyone talks about!
Any advice would be great!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Weight loss
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 17, 2010 11:03PM

Are you practicing proper food combining? If you are mixing flesh with other things, you could be doing yourself a mischief. Also, eating at night--whether cooked or raw--is generally hard on the digestion.

Posted by: tdquigley ()
Date: June 17, 2010 11:39PM

I briefly looked in to food combining but it looks complicated! I have also tried to find info on the 80 20 20 diet but my problem is that I don;t know which foods are carbs, proteins or fats. Does anyone have a list of something like that? I know eating at night is a bad habit, which I'm trying to wean myself off.
What are the essentials of food combining?

Posted by: cyclopsicle ()
Date: June 18, 2010 01:11AM

80/10/10 to me is eat all the fruit and greens you want, and keep your fat intake at 10% or less. Fruit makes up the 80%/carb part. Keeping a log of your food on fitday.com will tell you what nutrients and percentages you're getting. If you google food combining it should direct you to some simple charts. I always try to eat fruit alone because it digests very fast and eating it after eating fat may make one uncomfortable. Hope this helps. Other people can definitely give you better advice and I'm sure they will.

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: June 18, 2010 01:29AM

Try entering the foods you eat on www.fitday.com and you'll see the percentage of carb, fat and protein. You'll probably be amazed at how quickly the fats in nuts, seeds and avocados add up. I sure was. The percentages to look for are about 80-10-10 if you want to follow that plan; however, many people find the 10-10 percentages pretty low.

There are other sites that do the same thing, but I forget their names. (Maybe it is nutridiary.com?) I only used the fitday site for a couple of weeks until I felt comfortable with my choices. However, I've gotten lax and need to watch my percentages better myself, so I'll use it again for a while too.

As to food-combining... I find it complicated and not necessary for me, although others swear by its usefulness. I don't use it much, EXCEPT - I eat fruits alone, especially not with fats because fats take a lot longer to digest and if fruit is eaten at the same time, it sits around longer and makes gas. Eaten separately, fruit just goes along its merry way - no problems. If you don't want to be bothered with worrying about combinations of fruits you can eat "mono-meals" of just one kind of fruit until full. However, here is a site on raw food combining:

[www.raw-food-living.com]

The most important combinations are knowledge and intuition. Keep reading about raw food and experimenting and eventually you'll find what's right for you.

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: shazz150 ()
Date: June 19, 2010 05:04AM

Hi,
Please don't take this the wrong way, but it seems that you already weigh too little for your height! I checked a few height/weight charts and sure enough, for your height-5'6" you should weigh somewhere between 120 to 134lbs if you've got a small frame. 105lbs is closer to the ideal weight for a 5'1' female.
Maybe you're not losing any more weight on a raw food diet because you don't have any weight to lose!
I don't know if colonics or a cleanse would help with the bloating, (I've never had a colonic) but it doesn't sound like weight loss is the answer.
Shazz

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: June 19, 2010 11:34PM

Bone density can play a big roll as well, as I will on average weigh more than the average person same height, same Body fat %, as I have denser bones than average, however I dont think this is the case here, I agree with shazz, 110 is rather skinny for your height...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 01, 2010 11:01AM

I weigh less than I should and I keep on loosing weight. What should I do? I look too thin.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: August 01, 2010 11:59AM

Alenka, eat more, more calories and you'll put on weightsmiling smiley.

Date: August 02, 2010 03:59PM

powerlifer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Alenka, eat more, more calories and you'll put on
> weightsmiling smiley.

What should I eat more? What fruits contain more calories?

Date: August 03, 2010 02:40AM

generally speaking, the sweeter the fruit, the more calories it has...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: Swayze ()
Date: August 03, 2010 01:04PM

Alenka,

Bananas, dates, grapes, and mangoes are great for getting in calories.

Swayze
[www.fitonraw.com]

Date: August 03, 2010 01:10PM

Good suggestions on the more calorie dense raw foods above from Swayze.

But generally just eat more and you'll be intaking more calories.

Date: August 03, 2010 02:36PM

Thank you!

Posted by: rab ()
Date: August 03, 2010 03:40PM

Hehe, I wish I had that problem - 75 bananas a day, problem solved smiling smiley

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: August 03, 2010 06:36PM

Are you mixing fruits with other things? If you do it ferments and that might be the cause of the bloating. Fruits need to be eaten alone and on an empty stomach, which is why eating fruit in the morning makes sense - your stomach couldn't be emptier than at that time.

Date: August 04, 2010 09:36AM

tropical Wrote:
> Are you mixing fruits with other things? If you do
> it ferments and that might be the cause of the
> bloating. Fruits need to be eaten alone and on an
> empty stomach, which is why eating fruit in the
> morning makes sense - your stomach couldn't be
> emptier than at that time.

If you ask me, I answer))) I mix fruits sometimes with vegetables, but not at the same time. For example, for breakfast and dinner I have fruits, for lunch - vegetables. I'm trying to find any information about disadvantages of vegetables, but fail. I can't understand what's wrong with a cucumber or a carrot or cabbage.

Date: August 05, 2010 10:35AM

how quick do you loose weight being raw ?

Date: August 05, 2010 06:44PM

maay Wrote:
> how quick do you loose weight being raw ?
- 19 kilo during 7 months

Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: August 06, 2010 05:35AM

Be careful with raw animal products as you will get parastitic infestations/bacterial infections from them. You could have a ball of worms from the raw fish you have been eating. Do a google search on it.

Animal products have no fiber hence the reason people that consume them tend to have slower digestion/putrefecation in their digestive tract.

Also get your mercury levels checked.

My mate died last year after having to fast out some food poisoning from eating raw animnal. Was sad to see and totally preventable.

The worms wont kill you but the listeria, stiga spores, botulism, ecoli etc can as has been medically documented.

Date: August 06, 2010 10:06AM

Botulism is more prevalent on raw food sources than on meat, naturally... just saying, the rest you are definitely more likely to get from meat, although its highly abnormal to get parasites from fresh white fleshed ocean fish, as when filleting them, you can actually SEE parasites if the fish has any, and pick them out, the kind you find in ocean fish is quite different from those found in land animals, and easy to avoid, I do have to state though that I am NOT a proponent of raw paleo, just of correct information...I do love sushi though... (ps. mercury is almost non existent in fish that reach maturity in less than 3 years, but is much higher in fish who take longer to reach maturity.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: August 06, 2010 08:25PM

Ha-ha, I recently got a watermelon that[unbeknownst to me] had been contaminated with botulism--an insect had bored a hole in the grounded side and the bacterium got in that way, from the surrounding soil. Within a few days, the melon was a suppurating mess stinking of rotten meat. I'd seen the effects only on slides and in textbook photos in cooking school, so to see it in person was fascinating! Digusting, mind you, but fascinating. It is difficult to contract botulism in all but the incipient stage for those reasons: it makes a food smell putrid and the carbonation of the multiplying bacteria is pretty unmistakable. E. coli, on the other hand, sickens so many people because evidence of it is invisible. If you are gonna eat raw animal tissue, well, God help you, is all I can say.

Date: August 06, 2010 09:12PM

Sounds horrible tamukha, ive seen fruit go mouldy quick even that scares me lol.

Date: August 08, 2010 11:05PM

Ive seen it to Tam, its nasty,lol... however it can reach dangerous levels be4 things get that bad, its not much of an issue though with foods you eat fresh, as you can usually tell its bad easily, the thing is with E. coli, its incredibly rare on fish, it is only found on fish in situations where humans introduced it, when handled properly, you will never get E. Coli from fish or other meats, when veggies/fruits are handled properly, you will never have problems with botulism, so far veggies are the ONLY source shown that when handled properly can potentially transmit E. coli to you as it can live inside a healthy tomato without killing it, enough E. coli to hurt you cannot live within a living creature without making it noticeably sick and killing it rather quickly...

I personally have a friend, charlie, who got hep C from some salsa that was supposedly traced back to some mexican tomato's, he says he got a huge settlement in exchange for keeping quiet, and thats what bought him his previous and current home... considering how huge and nice his house is, and the fact he doesn't work, I decided to believe him... did I mention I bring a spray bottle of 50% diluted bleach with me whenever I hangout with him?lol...

There are dangerous things we can be exposed to through any food product, I dont like raw meat, except some sushi, although my favorite is Unagi, which isnt raw... but other than parasites, veggies and fruit can be just as dangerous as meat products, especially if they are mexican in origin apparently... not to mention, most major E. coli outbreaks are in fruit/veggies...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: August 08, 2010 11:56PM

Curator,

The major outbreaks from E. coli in produce are a deceptive statistic: they have occurred in crops contaminated by animal or human waste seeping into the watering fluid or onto the directly crops from nearby animal feedlots. It is not an organism endemic to vegetable or fruit growing land, unlike botulinum, which naturally resides in soil. E. coli contamination from meat, usually of inferior quality like that found in fast food operations, has always been more common due to large scale improper butchering and subsequent improper cooking of contaminated meat. Hepatitis is from human transfer, and can be very common as hygiene in food service is never as neat as people like to think. That is why I have warned that we raw foodists must employ caution when ordering foods raw that appear on the menu as cooked dishes; you may be taking your life into your own hands if you don't know the sanitation controls of the kitchen.

Date: August 09, 2010 01:35AM

well yeah, I know E. Coli on veggies come from other sources, animals that enter the field looking for food, or hunting the animals which are looking for food, can spread it to the crops, right about the meat and E. coli, hepatitis isn't always from the preparation, but can be transferred within the field to the produce,in fact the worst outbreaks known happened for those reasons,not in the preparation, apparently from a quick google search, there have been a number of hepatitis A outbreaks linked directly to mexican fields where human waste is frequently used as fertilizer...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: August 09, 2010 12:32PM

Curator,

Yeah, humans contaminate everything sad smiley

Date: August 09, 2010 09:11PM

yup, and unfortunately just washing them isnt enough to remove the contamination:/... another incentive to try and find a way to produce all of my own food...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables