Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Is raw wheat germ really raw and what about gluten?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: August 12, 2010 09:11PM

I used to get it occasionally. I liked sprinkling it on yogurt and thought that perhaps I could do it on fruits and salads. Since it's the germ, I would think that it's mostly oil so gluten wouldn't be an issue since it's protein. Another thing I wonder about is if it's really raw. There was a brand at the health store where I worked and we'd keep it in the cooler and it was flushed with nitrogen or something to keep it fresh. Supposedly raw (vs. that toasted stuff in a jar that you see). Or is wheat germ a '70s fad whose time has come and gone?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is raw wheat germ really raw and what about gluten?
Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: August 13, 2010 05:03PM

I used to sprinkle it on everything.
That was the 80's so maybe I am a little younger?smiling smiley
I believe its all roasted.

How about sprouting some wheat berries and dehydrating them,then crushing them up.
I did this once,and if you can get used to the hardness of the crunch,it works good.Gotta have some good teeth though.
Seems to me that would be the most pure raw option.

Vinny

Re: Is raw wheat germ really raw and what about gluten?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: August 13, 2010 08:34PM

The bag I bought definitely said 'raw' and it was refrigerated. The toasted stuff was stored on the shelf in a jar. I was just curious if anyone who eats lots of raw did wheatgerm. (P.S. I started buying it in the '80s, too.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables