Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

bad reactions on a high green diet
Posted by: dave6 ()
Date: January 05, 2009 01:15PM

Hi Gangsmiling smiley

I have been on a high green diet for a few years now and am still getting negative reactions....confused? I started eating rawfood due to candida symptoms i had in the past, most of my symptoms disapeared but over the last 8 months i have started to get painfull stomach problems.

Reactions include

Bloating
Stomach gurgling
Flu symptoms

These would occur after every meal... normally salad.
Yesterday i had two juices- celery,apple,cucumber,spinach,kale and ginger after about 5 mins i had the reactions above. It seems to be getting worse the more i eat raw vegetables.

Any ideas?

Could it be something to do with mu stomach acid?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: bad reactions on a high green diet
Posted by: fresh ()
Date: January 05, 2009 01:25PM

-you may want to consider moving towards some more fruit and eating one food at a time.

- eating some things (like ginger) might not bother a beginning raw fooder, but will bother you as your body gets cleaner

Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: January 05, 2009 05:00PM

Use smaller amounts of greens in your juices. Too much chlorophyll can give you stomach upsets. Also, don't have your greens too close together.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: January 05, 2009 05:16PM

Try removing the ginger and see if that digests better for you.

Posted by: justin1 ()
Date: January 05, 2009 06:50PM

...and maybe it is so that all plants defend themselves because they do not want to be eaten or hurt...?

...How do they manage that...?

...Well, nature has equipped plants with ability to cause adverse effects upon the feeding organism, such as by having substances which are toxic and/or digestion inhibiting, or by properties causing in bad taste and/or smell, etc

Plant feeding organisms in animal kingdom have developed and adapted their digestion and elimination systems accordingly in order to meet the adverse effect resulted from eating-digesting plants, - elephants for example eat dirt to neutralize toxicity of plants, etc...

Just think about that in more deep, are human organism and organs, such as - stomach, digestion- and elimination systems well adapted and equipped for the purpose of feeding upon plants and battling their defense strategies...?

No, heating will not remove toxicity from a plant..., instead it transforms or even creates in new more harmful substances to cope with...

I agree with earlier suggestions, increase eating fruits, instead, and skip the plant part entirely...?...smiling smiley

Posted by: tglasco4 ()
Date: January 06, 2009 01:48AM

Hey dave i hope you feel better. Please report back if you try any of the above-mentioned recommendations as it would be interesting to find out for others.

Thanks.

Grace be multiplied to you.

todd

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 06, 2009 02:37AM

The only green I eat in massive quantities is lettuce.

The cruciferous ones (kale, collards, mustards, cabbages, arugula, etc.) I eat sparingly. I also eat the goosefoots (spinach, chard, beet greens) sparingly, about a handful or two compared to 12 cups of lettuces.

I had a horrible reaction one night after eating a huge spinach salad. I learned the hard way. Sounds like you are getting a little bit of what I had every day.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: January 06, 2009 07:19AM

If the greens aren't organic, maybe you're having a reaction to chemicals. It's happened to me.

And, like roxelli says, maybe try spacing those greens meals a little further apart. You could do that fairly easily by replacing some of those greens with more fruit.

Also, if possible, try a 36 - hour water fast once a week. I've always been very sensitive to greens, and regular fasting really helps me digest them.

Hope you're feeling better soon. smiling smiley

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: January 06, 2009 08:26AM

Are you using salt and oil?

Posted by: dave6 ()
Date: January 11, 2009 07:00PM

Thanks for the advicesmiling smiley

I have been doing just fruit over the past week and feel alot better. Most days will just do banana,coconut water and tocotrienals smoothies...working a treat.

I was doing a little bit of oil and salt with my salad but not much. At the beginning i felt amazing on high green but after 6 months i started to feel very passive and dull.

Will carry on with the fruit as am enjoying the firey energy

Peace

D

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 14, 2009 07:12AM

also cuz if u have candida
your intestinal flora is not built up to optimal levels
and if u ever used antibiotics or abused your system, your body may be ATTACKING you
like an autoimmune response even if what u put in it is not poisonous

overgrowth of candida is like having an autoimmune disease
but while you are trying to repair, your body may still be attacking you

blending your greens and going easy on the oils ( olive oil etc.) may be easier on your system

also, just reintroducing small amounts slowly

garlic also helps to rebuild intestinal flora

maybe try putting a nick of it in your juices but careful to not put too much or it will hurt

good luck

patience is also key
though who wants to be patient, huh? LOL smiling smiley

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 14, 2009 07:13AM

justin1
interesting stuff u say about plants and their defense system
true

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables