Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Any recommendations on hemp seed?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: August 21, 2010 09:45PM

On my thread about raw breakfasts, I read a few mentions of hemp seed. I have not had good experiences with hemp. First I bought the oil and like flax oil, it had an aftertaste that made it seem like it was rancid. These types of oils are very delicate and like sesame seeds, it's hard to get any without bitterness or some flavor which indicates that it is not good. I then bought hemp powder from Trader Joe's. I don't know if it's raw but it does have added sugar and vanilla flavor. Again, there was an unpleasant aftertaste. I finally went to a green expo and met up with that Manitoba hemp company. They had samples of hemp seed, but it seemed to also have a bit of bitterness, despite what they said. Is chia the same? I cannot consume seeds that taste bitter for the simple fact that I don't think they are very good for the body.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Any recommendations on hemp seed?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 21, 2010 10:22PM

Weird, I love the taste of hemp seeds. I sprinkled some in salad just today in fact. I don't find them bitter at all but then again, I enjoy bitter flavours. Endive, walnuts, dandelion etc. Many of those are tonics for the liver, etc. Do you like other bitter foods?

Date: August 21, 2010 10:27PM

I like radicchio, Coco. I don't LOVE bitter flavors, but I don't have problems eating them. When I have had dandelion or other bitter things, I know they are good for the liver. I just meant that when oils or nuts/seeds have bitterness, I feel that they have been compromised in some way. Sesame seeds are notorious for this and I don't feel that it is good to consume a seed product that tastes bitter. It feels to me that it has been oxidized and full of free radicals--therefore, unhealthy. It's frustrating to try these products and they all seem damaged. What brand of hemp do you buy? (By the way, I have tried hemp mylk in those aseptic boxes and they were horrid! Very bitter and not in a good way.)

Date: August 21, 2010 10:42PM

I like manitoba harvest, the brand you mentioned. I've met their reps as shows and really appreciated their professionalism and knowledge. Hmm. No, I don't suppose it's good to eat any seed that tastes as though it's going or gone rancid. I have a fairly sensitive nose to that myself (every single baked cracker out there has always smelled off to me, they are just ugh). I've never had the hemp milk myself, those processed sort of products strike me as unhealthy. How can they be good?
I wonder if there is a way to test seeds for rancidity? You can't sprout hulled hemp unfortunately...

Well, you don't have to eat them if you don't like them. It's probably good to listen to your body on this one. There are plenty of other sources of omegas and fats, you won't miss them.

Date: August 21, 2010 11:40PM

I wonder about chia. I just saw a recipe on Raw Radiant Health about savory chia pudding and it looked very interesting. Just soak and let sit, add tamari, garlic, and ginger. I was curious if chia is the same in that way. I am going to experiment with it. I would like to find a good hemp, though. It's got a good ratio of omegas 6 and 3s. I think it's even better than flax.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 22, 2010 12:16AM

banana who,

I find neither chia nor hemp to be bitter. I occasionally make a sweet pudding with soaked chia blended with medjool dates--yum! Hemp seeds I soak in a small amount of water, then wiz with lemon juice, sea salt, and fresh herbs to make a creamy salad dressing--also yum! Perhaps your body chemistry doesn't like hemp right now for some reason, and that's why it always tastes bitter to you? It's a naturally nutty sweet seed, so that's the only explanation that I can think of sad smiley

Date: August 22, 2010 12:36AM

Okay, Tamukha, I will give it a try again. And I never thought about dates and chia--that sounds awesome. Thanks for the recipe.

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: August 24, 2010 05:52PM

I love hemp seeds. They're nothing like the oil or protein powder, which I don't like. I use them in smoothies and puddings. Actually improves the taste. Chia seeds are the other seeds I use and also love.

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: August 24, 2010 08:26PM

I love both hemp and chia seeds. I make a chia seed fresca with soaked chia seeds and coconut water. I use hemp seeds for hemp milk and also salad toppings and salad dressings.

Date: August 25, 2010 12:10AM

Cha cha cha chia...(Sorry, just had tosmiling smiley)

Wow, hemp mylk sounds...groovy...What is fresca?

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: August 25, 2010 11:58AM

A fresca is a chia seed liquid mixture where the chia seed gels and forms a viscous drink. In Mexico, usually it's a lemon fresca. I like mine with coconut water or pomegranate juice.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: August 25, 2010 12:12PM

pborst - I have just bought some chia seeds - boy are they wickedly expensive in the UK!!

Could you explain in a little more detail how you make your fresca please? I have noticed that even a seed caught in your teeth with form a gel around it very quickly. So far I have had an experimental pinch - straight into my mouth - well that was ok but not exciting!! And I have sprinkled some onto my smoothie where they sat in a clump and I drank/ate them. I would like a better way of including them.

Also runners take them whilst running - have you any idea how - anybody?

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: August 25, 2010 07:37PM

If you don't crush the chia seeds first I don't see how they are going to digest and do you any good.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: August 25, 2010 07:51PM

Yes I was wondering about this. How would you do it - in a pestle and mortar?

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: August 26, 2010 12:32AM

I have a real old grinder (manual) that will crush anything and I sometimes use it for chia. It is not the perfect tool for this job, though. I think something smaller, like maybe a coffee grinder, would be better.

It is hard to grind things with a mortar & pestle if you don't roast them first.

Date: August 26, 2010 12:39AM

Actually, the chia are supposedly so easy to digest that it isn't neccessary to grind them. The gel they form is very nutritious/healing/whatever it is too.

They are super pricey in the States and Canada too. Silly expensive, I can't see why that is...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables