Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I know this is a raw vegan website but...
Posted by: buddhistforlife ()
Date: August 25, 2010 01:14AM

...tonight was a chilly one in New York City, and all I had to work with was some brussel sprouts. Couldn't gather up an appetite for chomping on them raw. So, I fired up the ol' oven and roasted them (after drizzling with some extra virgin olive oil, and a bit of sea salt and pepper.)

Wow! Unbelievably tasty. I decided right then and there that I wanted to eat roasted brussel sprouts every night for the rest of my life.

By the way--- no, this did not unleash a rampaging desire to eat other "cooked" foods. Not at all. But I am wondering how one would prepare these miniature version of cabbages in a similarly tasty way... raw.

Any ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I know this is a raw vegan website but...
Posted by: pborst ()
Date: August 25, 2010 02:19AM

I'd marinate them in a tasty tomato garlic marinate and warm them gently in my dehydrator at 115 for two hours! winking smiley yum. You know the secret about putting the 9" x 13" baking pan in the Excalibur for marinates, right??? winking smiley [www.remember.org]

Paul

Date: August 25, 2010 03:05AM

Thanks, Paul. That sounds like something to try. Since I don't have a dehydrator, I am thinking that the oven (turned off) might be warm enough maybe?
If so, how long would that take?

Posted by: BackAgain ()
Date: August 25, 2010 04:36AM

lol. I just wanted to say I feel your pain. It's freezing here in MA! You'd think we'd at least get a month of "fall" to ease into the cold but no. I um ate a semi-raw soup. Some veggies overcooked and others were still raw-ish like carrots and celery. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2010 04:37AM by BackAgain.

Posted by: dvdai ()
Date: August 25, 2010 04:36AM

I saw a picture of a brussel sprout/potato meal a nonraw friend of mine cooked up and the sight alone of the brussel sprouts made me want some. So, the next day I ate some raw and they tasted good, but boy did I burp up something fierce!

david

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: August 25, 2010 10:26AM

Another way to "warm up" brussel sprouts I like is to run them through a grinder/juicer with carrots, coconut and whatever seasonings to make sort of a slaw.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: August 25, 2010 02:16PM

Yes this is a raw site,but golly gee are some veggies so comforting when subject to the death of the enzymes!!!!

VINNY

Date: August 25, 2010 05:42PM

Lol- thanks for that, Vinny!

Actually, I appreciate all of the comments, and I can relate.

The thing about brussel sprouts in particular is that I love them so much, but they are the rare veggie that I cannot figure out how to prepare raw in a way that even comes close to how they taste with a bit of heat applied. Other cruciferous vegetables are easier to deal with.

Well, it is what it is. Maybe, for me, I may have to sacrifice a few enzymes for a tasty warming meal once in awhile...

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: August 26, 2010 06:51AM

buddhistforlife, I know some may see this as being a killjoy, but don't you think that, really, it was simply the salt and pepper (both toxic) that made them so 'tasty'? Unfortunately, salt does make raw food remind us of the taste-titillating sensations we (thought we'd) left behind with the cooked food diet. The use of salt in general makes it much harder to go truly raw.

I reckon they wouldn't taste so 'tasty' without those toxic substances added to them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2010 06:53AM by debbietook.

Posted by: cyclopsicle ()
Date: August 26, 2010 01:59PM

A little salt and pepper isn't going to kill anyone. I just think comparing pepper to something actually toxic like cigarette smoke is kind of silly. We all can agree that compared to a delicious raw salad that roasted brussel sprouts are second best, but seriously it's food and roasted brussel sprouts with a couple extra ingredients isn't nearly as toxic as a piece of cake.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 26, 2010 02:45PM

Debbie! And you an Englishwoman, shame on you to suggest brussels sprouts aren't tasty without salt and pepper! smiling smiley

I don't eat brussles sprouts raw; I figure eating a few servings cooked in season won't kill me(and it won't), and considering my body does have a hard time with raw cruciferi unless juiced in small amounts, I oughtn't to chance it. Perhaps you could try making raw kimchee with brussels sprouts leaves instead of cabbage? It would smell especially putrid, but I bet it would taste divine!

Date: August 26, 2010 03:44PM

Well. Salt (and I'm talking natural sea salt here) is something I never used for the first few years going raw. And for someone who is physically active with a regular Bikram Yoga practice (yeah, it's HOT and you sweat buckets), I found that when I began adding in a few sea vegetables (dulse, nori, wakame) and/or a few shakes of sea salt once in awhile, my whole system sort of perked up. My energy improved, as well as my mood. It doesn't take much, but for me, I have to be aware of including even a bit now and again.

We will have to disagree on black pepper-- or even spices in general. I believe (and there is enough studies around to show) that certain spices are beneficial and even nourishing to the body. I happen to like the taste of tumeric, and the science behind it's anti-inflammatory properties abound.

Tam, that's a cool idea- making kimchee with the little sprouts. I actually like kimchee (the stinkier the better!), but have never made it myself. I know, I know--- it's not that difficult, but I have not gotten around to rolling up my shirt sleeves and digging into the process. On my list...

Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: August 26, 2010 11:46PM

1 table spoon of organic olive oil has the same amount of fat as 22lbs of potatoes.

If your going to eat cooked vegan food, you may as well make it low fat, low sodium and get some carbs so you can function good.

That said, sweet fruit is always the best option and it pays to be organised. smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables