Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Kelp noodles - UK
Posted by: VeganDiva ()
Date: January 06, 2009 03:17PM

Does anyone know where I can find these in the UK?

Cheers xx

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kelp noodles - UK
Posted by: suvine ()
Date: January 06, 2009 08:13PM

How are they processed, does anyone know?

Date: January 07, 2009 01:44PM

The Sea Tangle Noodle company (USA) say that : 'Kelp Noodles are a sea vegetable in the form of an easy to eat raw noodle. Made of only kelp (a sea vegetable), sodium alginate (sodium salt extracted from a brown seaweed), and water' They say that they are raw and do not undergo any heating over 100 degrees F.

You have to order quite an amount tho, and I'm just wondering if I can source them anywhere here in the UK.

Thanks for any thoughts/help x

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 08, 2009 12:39AM

This is going to sound kooky, but try the U.K. Amazon.com gourmet food department--the American Amazon carries them. Scratch that; I just checked and Amazon U.K. doesn't HAVE a gourmet food department. Well, this online distributor in the States ships to the U.K., but with caveat and it's expensive:
[www.therawfoodworld.com]

Good luck!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2009 12:47AM by Tamukha.

Date: January 08, 2009 12:51AM

Suvine,

Here's an interesting discussion about these noodles:

[www.rawfoodtalk.com]

I'm not too tempted myself!

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: January 09, 2009 05:39PM

I was wondering about this too. I also wanted to know why the noodles aren't green, like regular kelp.

I tried emailing them, but didn't get a reply. I did get a reply from GoldMine, a company that sells the same noodles (Sea Tangle). Their email included the same information as the email received by VeganDiva, but also this:

"They aren't green, because the outer skin of the kelp is removed."

Makes me wonder how they do that. Do they use some kind of caustic chemical? The noodles aren't organic.

I guess I'll try emailing Sea Tangle again to ask them how they remove that outer skin.

But, whatever the case, with the outer skin removed, they're not a whole food product, although that's not necessarily terrible. Might be like eating an apple without the peel (except for the added sodium of course, plus the fact that they've been dehydrated).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2009 05:41PM by suncloud.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 09, 2009 06:47PM

Why not just add kelp to your "vegi pasta" (raw zucchini or yellow squash cut into thin long stands). With some unfermented soy and a dash of cold pressed nut oil you have a fun meal with the same nutrition,if not more! Sain Appetite'

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: January 09, 2009 07:24PM

Tamukkha, thanks the only reason I am thinking abiut trying maybe once, is cause everyone else is doing it. Which isnt a good reason...I know..

Date: January 09, 2009 07:56PM

Suvine,

If it's a raw food and cannot hurt you, that's a good reason to GIVE IN to peer pressure--who knows, you could end up eating something your body really likes. However, the one poster's comparing kelp noodles to animal cartilage was my total Turn Off; back when I still ate meat, I never liked gnawing on bones or gristle. Not yearning for that sensation now that I'm a vegge! If you try them, let us know how you like them.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: January 10, 2009 03:32AM

I've had those noodles before. If you soak them in a sauce for 30 minutes, they get very soft, like normal pasta.

Posted by: Rastadevi ()
Date: January 10, 2009 12:00PM

I bought the box, and I have tried them four ways so far. I did:

1) thai coconut curry sauce - tasty but rich
2) marinara - iffy
3) pesto - no go
4) chili/lime/agave pad thai style - ok

The smell of the noodles, even when soaked/rinsed very, very well seems strong to me. But I feel that way about most sea veggies. A little bit is all my body wants most of the time. I think that vegetable zucchini/courgette pasta is still my favorite, but the idea of mixing the kelp noodles with zucchini and carrot sounds really good, and the idea of putting it in the dehydrator is interesting.

I made Russell James' cabbage pillow recipe earlier in the week, and the cabbage marinade may work really well with the kelp noodles. That's going to be my next attempt.

"For the filling

5c white cabbage, shredded
6 spring onions (scallions)
2t cumin
2t ground coriander
1/4c cold pressed sesame oil
1T toasted sesame oil (optional)
1t salt
2T tamari or nama shoyu
2t lime juice
2 cloves garlic, crushed/minced
2 red Thai chilies, deseeded and minced
2T agave
3T tamarind paste* (optional)" - I substituted kombucha vinegar with dates

"1c fresh coriander, roughly chopped

* Soak 200g tamarind in 1/c water and break up with your hands. Strain the mixture through a sieve and you’re left with tamarind paste. It should be roughly the consistency of watery yoghurt.

• Combine all ingredients thoroughly in a bowl."

Here is the recipe from his blog.
[therawchefblog.com]

Date: January 10, 2009 05:47PM

Thanks for the recipe, Rastadevi! It looks like it would be good without the kelp noodles, and some crushed raw nuts added instead to make a kind of Asian slaw. And I'm with you, sea veg only in small amounts because courgette pasta is preferable!

Posted by: Rastadevi ()
Date: January 11, 2009 01:10PM

Hi Tamukha!

You are welcome, and the recipe is not just good, it's fabulous! I can say that, because it is not mine. winking smiley

Date: January 13, 2009 08:02PM

Thanks so much everyone for all your inputs, really appreciated.

I'm busy spiralising courgette, carrots, parsnips and butternut squash until I can get my hands on some. Which I'm quite happy doing, they're super tasty!

With love xx

Posted by: Omega ()
Date: January 13, 2009 08:09PM

IMO, spiralized fresh vegetables are healthier than kelp noodles as the fresh vegetables contain living water. Kelp noodles do not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2009 08:10PM by Omega.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables