Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What are the advantages of a fruit and vegetable centered vegan diet vs. a starch centered vegan diet?
Posted by: pborst ()
Date: August 27, 2010 02:28PM

I know we have probably at one time or another talked about all of them. But I wanted to see if we could make a thread that summarized the advantages (and disadvantages if you can think of any) of a fruit and vegetable centered vegan diet vs. a starch centered vegan diet.

The ones that occur to me are:

1. less acid forming and therefore less taxing to the kidneys and bones

2. higher nutrient per calorie density (see Fuhrman ANDI scores)

3. less addictive (fruits and vegetables are less addictive than starches)

4. lower glycemic load (obviously this is a generality, but in general fruits and vegetables of all kinds have lower glycemic loads per weight and perhaps calorie than starches).

5. closer to our "natural diet" that we evolved on. This isn't an important one to me but I recognize it's very important to some.

Your thoughts?

Paul

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What are the advantages of a fruit and vegetable centered vegan diet vs. a starch centered vegan diet?
Posted by: Krefcenz ()
Date: August 27, 2010 02:48PM

less calorically dense for the obese. A fruit and vegetable based diet is likely to be less calorie dense than a starch based diet as long as you limit the fat - nuts, seeds, and oils.

Re: What are the advantages of a fruit and vegetable centered vegan diet vs. a starch centered vegan diet?
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 27, 2010 03:59PM

Greater variety of nutrients

More hydrating

More user friendly[if low-fi]

More eco friendly; this is dabatable--does cooking starch based food cancel out the fuel costs for shipping raw plant foods from their native region?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 27, 2010 04:20PM

You *can* sprout grains instead of cooking them but they also have to be shipped from somewhere.
The less calorie dense is actually a deterrant to me personally, we are a family of skinny little high metabolisers and have a hard time keeping weight on. I'm not saying that starches, grains etc, are the solution but I don't know what is. I wish I could put on some lbs, I am cold a lot of the time and it sucks.

Fruits and veggies taste better than raw &/or sprouted starches.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: September 02, 2010 04:07AM

The first one is
1. Yummier.
2. Actually hydrating.
3. Resulting in a more pleasant body smell.
4. Effortless as aligned with our body natural instincts.
That's good enough for me.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: September 02, 2010 09:47PM

I think those are all such really great advantages listed above - starting with Pborst!

I will add: Eating this way seems to give me a lot more energy and a more positive attitude, I guess just because I feel better.

Also, baked, toasted, or fried starch (any dry-cooked starch) results in the formation of acrylamides, which are known to be linked to cancer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables