Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Black bell pepper safe to eat????
Date: September 03, 2010 12:32PM

I am growing a red bell pepper plant and the one(!) fruit on there never went red, for about a month it's stayed green, with a lot of black colour and is shrivelled.

Not sure if it's safe to eat? I'm assuming it doesn't want to ever turn red, but I don't know if the darkened skin is a sign of some kind of rot or plant defiency.

Anyone experienced in bell peppers?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Black bell pepper safe to eat????
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: September 03, 2010 01:00PM

Im no expert in gardening etc but id say give it a miss especially since its shrivelled also.

Not worth getting ill over i say.

Date: September 03, 2010 01:37PM

when i say shrivelled, i mean kind of skinny and shrunken rather than the shrivelled effect you get in rotting produce. yeah, not worth getting ill over but this is my prized only fruit on the whole plant! I can't bear to throw it away winking smiley

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 03, 2010 01:51PM

A green pepper should ripen into a red or orange one. Maybe it's the wrong light/soil/amendments to bring it to fruition? Don eat it, but do core it and pull out the seeds; see if they are not moldy or otherwise unhealthy looking. It's too late this season, but I say air dry them and save them in an envelope in a dark drawer for next year--maybe you'll have better luck with an offspring plant!

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 03, 2010 05:48PM

you may not be able to "bear throwing it away" because its your only prized fruit however, better to do that than throw away your health. your body is your only prized fruit of physical corporeal existence.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: September 04, 2010 01:27AM

It is definitely not good to eat if it is black... bell peppers usually only do that if they are dying, often something has attacked them from inside and the plant is still trying to get it to grow and produce seed, but its only prolonging the inevitable...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: September 04, 2010 12:21PM

Ahhh. I thought the black colour might have been the in-between between green and red. Doh! I guess I'll check out the seeds. This has happened before- years ago, I had a red bell pepper and the plant was kind of small but it put all its energy into one massive red pepper that was skinny and never filled out (which then went moldy). Maybe next year I'll use bigger pots or growbags.

< feel daft!

Thanks guys smiling smiley

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 04, 2010 12:29PM

curator is probably right
pathogenic attack leads to necrosis

your enthusiasm is admirable
enjoy your gardening adventuresmiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables