Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Russian seed bank facing destruction - 1000 different strawberries
Posted by: brome ()
Date: August 22, 2010 11:45PM

[news.yahoo.com]

The agricultural station is facing the loss of 225 acres (91 hectares) on which it grows one of the world's largest field collections of fruits and berries, including almost 1,000 types of strawberries from 40 countries, 300 varieties of cherries and almost 900 kinds of black currants. It also has a rich variety of grasses and grains, though the institute's larger grain fields are located elsewhere.

As many as 90 percent of the plants are no longer found anywhere else in the world. Most of them are old varieties no longer in use, but the Vavilov Institute maintains them in case they will be useful in the future for developing new varieties.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Russian seed bank facing destruction - 1000 different strawberries
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: August 23, 2010 06:35AM

This is dreadful news. I hope that the land can be saved but I am not at all confident. I have shared on facebook - if there was an outcry big enough but even then....

Date: August 23, 2010 09:47AM

PAVLOVSK, Russia – The world's first seed bank survived World War II thanks to 12 Russian scientists who chose to starve to death rather than eat the grain they were saving for future generations.

Now the Vavilov Institute of Plant Industry's seed bank is in danger again, this time because of court-approved plans to rip up its vast fields of genetically diverse plants and build fancy homes on the prime real estate they occupy near St. Petersburg.

:O That's so horrible! To think of people sacrificing themselves only to have their legacy threatened by greed sad smiley

Last year I started buying heirloom seeds to 'store'. These kind of stories really worry me.

Posted by: brome ()
Date: September 04, 2010 08:05PM

Go to Seed Savers Exchange to sign the petition to save the seed bank:

[www.seedsavers.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables