Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Eat yourself impotent?
Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: September 04, 2010 12:13PM

From Barnard and McDougall.

Impotence signals blocked arteries

"Studies have shown that impotence is often a sign of blocked arteries, and artery blockages are commonly caused by the consumption of meat, eggs, and dairy products, which are high in cholesterol and saturated fat," says Dr. Neal Barnard of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine. "Animal products increase the amount of cholesterol in the blood. This cholesterol enters the blood vessels and creates plaque on the interior walls, which narrows the passageway for blood flow," Barnard says.

Barnard emphasizes that artery blockage can be prevented with diet and lifestyle changes and points to Dr. Dean Ornish's work as proof that a low-fat vegetarian diet "is the key to beginning the cleanup of your arteries.

"I'm suggesting that people get to know vegetarian foods," says Barnard. "Simple foods. Beans, vegetables, fruits and legumes. The good thing is, we're seeing athletes saying, 'That helps my performance.' We're having people who've had erectile dysfunction saying, 'I didn't realize that was reversible by changing your diet and getting circulation back again.'"

Eat yourself impotent

In an article titled "Eat Yourself impotent" Dr. John McDougall echoes Barnard's views. "The same diet that closes the arteries to the heart (heart attacks) and brain (stroke) also closes the arteries to the penis--the result is erectile dysfunction (ED), which means a delay in time for maximal erection, reduced rigidity, and decreased ability to sustain an erection."

Dr. McDougall makes an interesting comparison between the diameter of the penile artery and the left anterior coronary artery. "The penile artery has a diameter of 1 to 2 mm, whereas the proximal left anterior descending coronary artery is 3 to 4 mm in diameter, " he explains. "An equally sized atherosclerotic plaque burden in the smaller penile arteries would more likely first compromise flow compared with the same amount of plaque in the large coronary artery causing angina."

Dietary and lifestyle changes are at the top of Dr. McDougall's list to alleviate ED problems. "Fortunately, with a change in diet and a little exercise most of our patients are able to lower their blood pressure and get off of their 'erection deflating' medications, and they are able to reduce their 'plaque burden' by reversing the underlying atherosclerosis," says McDougall. "My male patients, and sometimes their mates, often share with me tales of renewed vigor and vitality. Now there's a valid reason to eat vegetables."

To those plagued by ED the message is quite clear. The colored pill may provide a few moments of pleasure, but it offers no solution to the problem. Instead of sitting in that bathtub gazing at the sunset and waiting for the pill to take effect, consider a lifestyle change that includes a low fat vegan diet and an exercise program. It might not only help you in the ED department, but it could also improve your overall health.

References:

Barnard, Neal. "Doctor in the House." PeTA's Animal Times, Fall 2007: 23.

Barnard, Neal. Interview with Tavis Smiley. Tavis Smiley Show. KCET, Los Angeles, January 29, 2007 [www.pbs.org]...

Edelson, Ed. "Erectile Dysfunction a Strong Harbinger of Heart Trouble." Washingtonpost.com, May 19, 2008

"Five Tips for Staying Sexually Active." Urology Times, October 1, 2007: pSS10

McDougall, John. "Eat Yourself Impotent." [www.drmcdougall.com]

Reinberg, Steven. "Erectile Dysfunction Affects 18 Million U.S. Men, HealthDay News, February 1, 2008

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Eat yourself impotent?
Posted by: RusticBohemian ()
Date: September 04, 2010 12:28PM

Yeah, you can eat yourself impotent quite easily.

Awesome picture here: [www.raw-food-health.net]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 04, 2010 02:01PM

It stands to reason; I suspect a lot of people have forgotten what, um, is actually occurring when a, um, whatsit grows[almost no one knows what "engorged" literally means anymore].

And "Eat Yourself Impotent!" make a great website name . . .

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: September 04, 2010 06:11PM

Great post durianrider!

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: September 04, 2010 08:31PM

[www.youtube.com]

One of the funniest stories I've ever seen in a health talk (2 minutes long from 18:30-21:30) Dr. Niel Barnard told about how he gave a talk to texas ranchers in the middle of cattle county about eating a vegan diet to reverse heart disease and he got booed.

Then he said "Look you guys, you can heckle me as much as you want to but this doesn't just cause heart attacks it also causes impotence."

And he had their complete attention for the rest of the lecture

and at the end of the lecture he had "all these guys in snakeskin boots coming up and asking me for my macho tofu recipes and power brown rice."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2010 08:33PM by tropical.

Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: September 09, 2010 10:09AM

*Barnard rocks.

*Great link Andrew, thats very comprehensive and love the banana photo! smiling smiley

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: September 13, 2010 04:31PM

"Macho tofu recipes"? I don't know about that. Tofu and soy products generally were traditionally used by Buddhist monks to take away their urges, which they felt were not compatible with their spiritual search and lifestyle.

But for a person who's eaten tons of meat and dairy, I am sure that some tofu would provide a cleanout. But after the cleanout, I'd stop the soy if I were a man.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: September 13, 2010 05:54PM

Drink beer for 15 yrs and you will not be able to get it up,no matter who your partner is.

Vinny

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables