Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Dr Campbell gives Mercola a slap down..
Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: September 14, 2010 01:40AM

Here is the link.

[www.vegsource.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dr Campbell gives Mercola a slap down..
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: September 14, 2010 05:12AM

GREAT article! Thanks duranrider.

I love Dr. Campbell's description of the scientific method. Can't have science without it. Sorry Dr. Mercola.

Looking forward to Dr. Campbell's second book!

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: September 14, 2010 08:26AM

Great to hear Dr. Campbell is writing a second book.

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: September 14, 2010 05:37PM

Its about time!

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 14, 2010 09:38PM

I'm really glad of this, because the other day, I went to mercola.com and saw this: [articles.mercola.com]. Even the title was a bit, um, marginal sounding, but I swallowed hard and read the whole thing(except the comments; I posted this link at another thread on here and mentioned I assumed the comments would be all testosteroni about meat). I have thought for a long time that Mercola's insistence upon presenting Nutrition Typing as science-based is selective, at best, and dishonest, at worst. I understand that he feels this hypothesis may prove valid someday, and contends he's helped a lot of people using it, but there is economic self interest involved, and he uses Nutrition Typing more and more often to forward a meatist agenda, and this is obvious. Even so, this Mercola newsletter, to which Dr. Campbell is responding, takes the cake. I mean, to pick a fight with a venerable researcher on grounds of their using an erroneous premise by . . . using your own erroneous premise yourself, is nonsensical. Dr. Mercola is suitably vague in his criticism and allows that vegetarianism may be useful for some individuals also. But he never actually addresses the data indicating an animal oriented diet is not healthy long term. He seems to increasingly avoid this big hairy gorilla of a subject, or to misrepresent data for his own ends; he's currently on this weird anti-uric acid kick without once discussing meat consumption's impact on uric acid levels! Thus, this dispute he's started with Dr. Campbell is just whacky. And I'm pleased as punch that Dr. Campbell is taking it right back to him.

Thanks for posting this, Harley, good to know what we're up against.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 14, 2010 10:17PM

Some people just can't seem to resist bacon and they'll do ANYTHING to talk themselves into believing it's ok to eat it. Same with coffee, chocolate, cheese, etc. I do it with wine, that stuff is FULL of health benefits! winking smiley grinning smiley.

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: September 15, 2010 12:31AM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I do it with wine, that
> stuff is FULL of health benefits! winking smiley grinning smiley.

Not according to Mercola, it ain't. He thinks that alcohol is bad, period, and the minor health benefits are outweighed by its badness for our health. So He sayeth...

[articles.mercola.com]

It appears that even "moderate" quantities (defined as 1 drink per day for women) may not be good in the long run. Mercola has written a few articles on his site about this topic. This is only one.

Here is a small summation of his opinions:

"Some of the WEAKEST science we have is epidemiological observations, and that is precisely the type of science that has been used to support that drinking wine in moderation is healthy for you."

Posted by: rab ()
Date: September 15, 2010 01:07AM

This book, "The China Study", if it were fifties, would disappear from libraries and bookstores. Nobody would publish it again. End of story.

Internet is the problem. They should regulate internet, so that books like that would never be available around the globe, It creates unneccessary suspicion about official science. So, someone has to do something about it.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 15, 2010 01:11AM

rab,

Totally do not understand what you are trying to say. "China Study," pro or con?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 15, 2010 01:18AM

yes, also confused here.

I meant that I talk myself into believing the hype about wine having benefits because I like it and I want to believe. I know it's not great for anyone, no alterants are. If the body has to do special work to flush it out, it's not helpful no matter what good things it supposedly does. Doesn't balance out IMO.

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: September 15, 2010 01:46AM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> yes, also confused here.
>
> I meant that I talk myself into believing the hype
> about wine having benefits because I like it and I
> want to believe. I know it's not great for anyone,
> no alterants are. If the body has to do special
> work to flush it out, it's not helpful no matter
> what good things it supposedly does. Doesn't
> balance out IMO.

Yes, I understood what you were trying to say - sly & funny! I just posted what I did for the benefit of people who think that alcohol consumed moderately but regularly is somehow beneficial.

However many jokes are made about it, though, for some people a bit of alcohol is indeed "medicinal". Not a nutrient, a medicine. I do believe this. For one thing, certain herbs are assimilated way better when they are tinctured in alcohol (which you know but others here might not). But the amount is probably about 1/2 a teaspoon a day.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: September 15, 2010 07:15AM

rab - have you read The China Study? It's a fantastic book

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables