Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Fresh garbanzos....
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: September 21, 2010 11:05PM

I took the plunge and bought some today. I don't know how many of you have ever seen them before; they are only in one produce market in the Chicago area that I have ever seen. Each bean has a papery husk that is easy removed. I squeezed a chick pea and when fresh, they are rather soft (unlike the hard-as-rock dried ones!). Has anyone ever tried to sprout these or cook them? I am thinking they would be better than the dried for sprouting because they would automatically be softer!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fresh garbanzos....
Posted by: cyclopsicle ()
Date: September 22, 2010 03:31AM

I have sprouted dried garbanzos a few times and made hummus with them. A nuttier taste definitely, and they have that "shell" you mentioned that I like to pop off. I kind of like the taste, I eat them alone sometimes.

Re: Fresh garbanzos....
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: September 22, 2010 04:22PM

cyclopsicle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have sprouted dried garbanzos a few times and
> made hummus with them. A nuttier taste definitely,
> and they have that "shell" you mentioned that I
> like to pop off. I kind of like the taste, I eat
> them alone sometimes.

I don't know that the husk remains when the chickpeas are dried. They are very papery so I would think that processing would remove them. I am not sure. What I am interested in knowing is if anyone has attempted sprouting them in the fresh state. Maybe it's not possible to do so?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables