Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Charentais Melons Rock!
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: September 12, 2010 12:12AM

Charentais Melons rock! If you have never tried this type of melon, I strongly suggest it! Especially if you grow your own. I just opened one I grew this summer, totally the best. I wish every melon tasted that great! I was disappointed because I only have two melons. I didn't know how to grow them, plus the soil was not the best. I was actually kind of suprised that I even got these two.

My nephew even liked it, and hes not into fruits or vegetables. I cleaned and dried the seeds, actually at his suggestion. Any suggestions for increasing melon production? I know it likes a lot of compost, plenty of direct sunlight, water. Anything else I should know to max out the melon?

I am looking to try and grow some other type of melon next year,maybe a particularly great watermelon. Any suggestions for something great?

[www.fruitgod.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Charentais Melons Rock!
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 12, 2010 12:44PM

heard rock mineral powder is good
makes it more flavorful too
then again, heard it was good for any food

how beautiful that you grew and enjoyed them

wow

never heard of charentais
nice name though like a jewel or something
sounds likesmiling smiley

Date: September 12, 2010 03:03PM

La-veronique,
Yes, that is what a friend said when she saw the melon, that is was beautiful, like a gem. It filled the house with a wonderful perfume, like fruit and flowers for several days. It tasted very sweet, with a touch of cream and vanilla. This variety is known for having exceptionally high levels of sugar, I am not sure that is such a good thing. Its supposed to be heirloom, but isn't high sugar more hybrid?

Date: September 12, 2010 03:08PM

La-veronique,
I found this Azomite - Trace Mineral Fertilizer Powder, do you mean something like that? Its supposed to have a broad array of minerals, and trace elements.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 12, 2010 03:48PM

Mislu,

I was gonna suggest Azomite; I have found my wheatgrass really improves in taste and health(it's less susceptible to mold) when I add Azomite to the growing medium or watering water.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 14, 2010 01:20AM

hi mislu

cool that it was also fragrant
i never had them
i think i will check them out now
i don['t know the correlation between sugar content and hybridization
it would seem that there would be a direct relationship
but maybe its actually inverse
i don't know
nice thing to ponder
or maybe it differs from food to food

i never heard about azomite
but if it helps tamukh's wheatgrass
i'd say the proof is in the pudding smiling smiley

sounds great

tamukha

did the wheatgrass taste sweeter?

i heard that the better high quality ones taste sweeter

Date: September 14, 2010 01:56PM

la_veronique,
Charentais Melons have a thinner skin, so they don't ship well. They aren't as easy to find as other melons in the market. I found them once at a food co-op. One that had a higher sense of consciousness about food, one that would take the time to load them into a melon type of 'egg carton', with 'easter grass' between them. I was just so impressed that they took such lengths to provide people the chance to try them.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 14, 2010 09:05PM

la_veronique,

Yes, the wheatgrass with Azomite was sweeter, and quite nice tasting, unlike some I've tried.

Posted by: Ariel55 ()
Date: September 15, 2010 11:04AM

I just bought some charantais melon locally grown in Devon UK. I couldn't believe, that is a first, they are always imported from France, but beautifully ripe and fragrant they were too

Posted by: Swayze ()
Date: September 15, 2010 02:09PM

These look very similar to the Tuscan melons they have at my Costco from time to time, which are absolutely delicious (even better than musk melons, actually).

Swayze
[www.fitonraw.com]

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: September 15, 2010 04:21PM

wow, that DOES look allot like a tuscan melon...id google to see if they are the same, but my brain is to tired to want to even open the extra window to search for it...lol

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: September 16, 2010 02:54PM

yes, quite a bit like tuscan melon. However, I do prefer the subtle difference that a charentais melon has. Either one are better than a musk melon, but thats just an opinion. Maybe it was because it was from my garden, can't get much fresher or local than that! I think even musk melons would be great that way also. Its just that commercial prouduction just leaves the food somehow lacking...

There is a theory that the consciousness of the gardener or grower influences the taste and nutritional qualities of a food, and perhaps some other less tangible aspects. What do you all think? I even found the one I grew to be different from the melon I got at the health food store. Its difficult to prove scientifically, as consciousness can't be measured in foods, or can it?

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: September 28, 2010 05:14AM

not sure, but I was rather surprised when the tea made from the poppies I grew this year at my buddies house, was not nearly as bitter as normal...maybe it had something to do with the healthier frame of mind ive been slowly developing? maybe, or maybe not...but poppy tea is pleasant...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables