Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Conventional Apples
Posted by: Jonathan Barlow ()
Date: September 28, 2010 03:56PM

There is an article on this site which lists apples as one of the twelve non-organic items most likely to be contaminated with pesticides. I was wondering if I peel the apple, will that completely or at least significantly reduce the risk?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Conventional Apples
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: September 28, 2010 04:18PM

This will largely help, but alot of the nutrients are close to the skin or in the skin themselves so you'll be losing a large portion of the nutrition.

Date: September 28, 2010 04:31PM

Ah good to know! So they would basically just be useful for calories, fiber, and hydration. In any case, I should aim to buy organic or choose something else.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: September 28, 2010 04:54PM

I dont really worry to much about the pesticides and waxes there is such small amounts that i feel it really doesnt make much of a difference. Saying that i usually strive to counter that by buying organic produce.

You will still get some nutrients but like cucumber also the bulk of the nutrition is in the skin or just under it.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 28, 2010 05:12PM

I shave both of those things with a veggie peeler, takes off only a thin layer of skin and I'm not eating pesticides and weird oils or waxes.

Date: September 28, 2010 05:29PM

I usually like to eat apple and cucumber skin. I wish they weren't waxed.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: September 28, 2010 08:41PM

Jonathan,

Whenever possible, I try to purchase my fruits & veggies from local farms in my are that do not spray them to death, or wax them. I know this isn't possible for everyone, but don't forget to check out local farms & farmers markets if you have them available to you.

You could also wash them thoroughly with a vegetable wash, or make your own with lemon juice.

As an aside, I promote the use of Calcium Bentonite Clay (internally & externally) to aid in eliminating toxins from the body. If you are interested, pm me about it.

There is a thread floating around on here somewhere with some info. about the clay...

Date: September 28, 2010 10:37PM

Thanks, good info, juicer! I usually wash fruits and vegetables with a wash cloth and castile soap.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 29, 2010 02:36AM

I've been soaking them in a half and half vinegar and water mix for about 15 mins followed by a fresh water rinse or soak. Takes the "frosting" off of grapes where regular washing doesn't so I guess it's doing what I intend for it to do.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: September 29, 2010 11:06AM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've been soaking them in a half and half vinegar
> and water mix for about 15 mins followed by a
> fresh water rinse or soak. Takes the "frosting"
> off of grapes where regular washing doesn't so I
> guess it's doing what I intend for it to do.

I forgot to mention the vinegar!

Yeah, we mix the lemon juice/vinegar & use that as a wash. It is a pain to have to wash your food, shouldn't be necessary, but has to be done to play it safe...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables