Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Unsprouted alfalfa seed
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: September 23, 2010 01:41PM

I just started sprouting alfalfa seeds, and I noticed that there are clumps of unsprouted seeds. What am I doing wrong? Its so annoying.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Unsprouted alfalfa seed
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 23, 2010 07:58PM

Depending on where you get the seeds from, they may have been stored improperly or are old and won't all germinate. There's about a 10%-20% non-germination rate for even good quality seeds, so . . .

Posted by: meganbubbs ()
Date: September 24, 2010 04:32PM

When you rinse, do the clumps break up? or maybe when they get light, the light doesn't penetrate all the seeds?

Date: September 25, 2010 03:16PM

tam,
I think its more than 10-20%, so maybe they are bad, or I am doing something wrong.

Meganbubbs,
They never really break up. I looked at them closer and some of the seeds are hulls from other seeds, but most are unsprouted. I am thinking that they aren't draining properly, or not getting enough air or something. I divided it into another container, and actually have eaten what has sprouted ok, but the remainder seems inactive. I started another batch, but was careful to use less seeds, hoping that these will have more room, or won't pile up. Isn't it better to have a single layer of seeds if possible? I made my own flat from a plastic containter, punching drainage holes with a needle. I will see how that works.

Date: October 02, 2010 02:54PM

I think I might just give up on this batch of alfalfa seed. about 1/2 are not sprouting. So I might just end up planting them all and have a nice patch of alfalfa somewhere in the garden.

I did start sprouting Red Quinoa from Trader joes. These weren't even packaged for sprouting, and nearly all of them sprout! I am curious however, is red quinoa safe to eat? I found some info on reg quinoa sprouts, and someone experimenting with them, but I don't commonly hear of anyone eating quinoa sprouts.

Date: October 02, 2010 03:26PM

Mislu,

Odd-I was at me local bulk store yesterday and noticed that they still, after the bin's been empty for weeks, hadn't restocked their red quinoa, which I wanted to try sprouting; it's for cooking, but, hey, you never know. So, yeah, it should be safe to eat sprouted. Caution--sprouted quinoa does spoil almost immediately, so if in doubt, throw it out[into the composter, of course].

Date: October 02, 2010 11:25PM

Tamukha,
That is rather odd. Do many people buy red quinoa there? If there isn't much demand, perhaps there isn't any real rush from their point of view. In fact I remember some stores completely xing out items that just aren't moving fast enough. I hope this isn't the case for you. Trader joes seems to always have red quinoa packaged in a cardboard box. Its organic, and I guess trendy, as they tend to want items appealing to the y generation.

At first I thought it tasted weird, but I am starting to like it.

Date: October 03, 2010 12:35AM

Mislu,

When they ran out, I was there--it was a fairly mainstream looking middle aged fellow dumping scoop after scoop into bag after bag. I must admit that I rudely stopped and stared, but resisted saying, "Hoarding for the coming global apocalypse, mister?" So there is at least one person who puts it much in demand. The assistant manager told me that restocking depends in some cases on the whims of the distributor. As it's fall now, and unseasonably chilly here in Southeast Michigan, I expect they'll be restocking those things more regularly. The bulk store isn't in a chi-chi neighborhood, but they have a surprising array of healthier products, like organic bulk grains and shelf stable products, and imported goods, so red quinoa is probably not that unusual to the clientele.

Date: October 03, 2010 11:51AM

Tamukha,
You have such a great sense of humor! At least it sounds funny from my perspective. I am not sure how I would feel if I was the one doing the scooping. I would probably stop, and laugh, or humor you to let you have at least one scoop. I guess it must be the best red quinoa around.

It sounds like you might have to place an order for yourself, and put it on hold to ensure you get what you want. I think its great that such products are becoming more available in more places. Thank you for sharing your story.

Date: October 04, 2010 01:26PM

I ate some red quinoa sprouts last night. It made me feel sick. I am wondering if it has some toxicity.

Date: October 04, 2010 03:27PM

Mislu,

sad smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables