Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Are the persimmons out yet?
Posted by: fruitylou ()
Date: October 06, 2010 06:36AM

I'm in California and ready for those persimmons. The year went by quick actually. I think it really is true there is so much variety year-round with fruit. But alas, I'm ready to stock up on persimmons.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Are the persimmons out yet?
Posted by: Ariel55 ()
Date: October 06, 2010 07:29AM

I had some yesterday, I am from the UK and these ones came from Spain, they were not organic though, so I'm waiting for those which are usually a little later, can hardly wait, they are one of my favourie fruits

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: October 06, 2010 12:14PM

We also get them from Israel (always feel guilty about buying from Israel) I didn't know about the Spanish ones - I will look out for them - thanks Ariel.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: October 06, 2010 12:24PM

Im from the UK also ariel55, but have never seen a persimmon before will have to keep my eyes open for them.

How do you eat them? Do you need to peel?

Date: October 06, 2010 03:04PM

powerlifer - you may know them as sharon fruit. I slice the top of and suck out the flesh - then I divide the rest into quarters and eat the flesh but not the skin. you can eat the skin but I can never find organic sharon fruit and think they have been handled a lot etc.

When they come into season Lidl usually have very large ones (not always better than the small ones though) very cheaply. I'll try to remember to post when/if I see them smiling smiley

Posted by: omega-3 ()
Date: October 06, 2010 05:35PM

So... when do they appear? Anytime now? I wonder if I'll be able to find them in the supermarkets in Massachusetts. I've only eaten a dried one.

Date: October 06, 2010 07:05PM

This may be helpful to those that haven't eaten them before as it explains which variety can be eaten when still firm and which not. Alas omega - it doesn't say when they are in season no doubt a bit more googling would reveal that but i don't have the time now - sorry.
[smoothiecast.co.uk]

Posted by: Ariel55 ()
Date: October 07, 2010 11:56AM

flipper jan, I get them from my local groce. He does a lot of organic and really good quality fruit, I try not to get anything further away than spain and france, although bananas and kiwi are the exception.I get a load of special deals too as I know you are not too far away it could be worth a visit, mind you, all his good stuff only lasts hours and it is not everyday, more like ocassional but I get it when it is there, he always tells me what is coming in, good deals I got this year were a tray of organic white nectarines for £5.00 and a about 10 organic Kiwi fruit for a pound

Date: October 07, 2010 02:42PM

Sounds fantastic but unfortunately it is too far - a 60 mile round trip - two hours travelling - you know it's just too much. Central Devon is a real blackspot for fresh fruit and veg apart from the hideous supermarkets (although waitrose is better than the rest - 15mins away!!)

I would love to live down your way - i love the whole vibe there smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables