Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

high folate
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: October 12, 2010 07:39PM

I have had some bloods done - apparently my folate level was high. This was all the dr. had to say. Is this a good thing? a bad thing? should I be concerned?

The dr said ' Well probably you have been eating lots of veg.' !!!!!!!

A quick google had me worried so I thought 'I'll ask the experts' - you guys

advice please?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high folate
Posted by: pborst ()
Date: October 12, 2010 08:18PM

Not an expert. But, if you are getting your folate from vegetables directly and not from "folic acid", a synthetic form of folate found in vitamins, you are doing great. If the folate is coming from your multivitamin in the form of folic acid, you may be increasing your risk of breast cancer upto 20 to 30 percent according to Joel Fuhrman. [www.diseaseproof.com].

In short, we need folate from veggies, but not folic acid from vitamins. If you are taking vitamins, find out if they have folic acid. If it does, might have a problem. Best.

Paul

Date: October 12, 2010 08:51PM

"There is inverse relationship between dietary folate intake and breast and prostate cancer.14,3 Chemical differences between folate and folic acid translate into differences in uptake and processing of these two substances by the cells in the intestinal wall – excess folic acid in the circulation can occur. Luckily, folate from food comes naturally packaged in balance with other micronutrients and the body regulates its absorption.9"

Jan,

I add this just as a check from the same link above. This does not mean your high folate is from folic acid uptake. . I just wanted to make sure you didn't miss this so you can check. Best.

Paul

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: October 12, 2010 09:36PM

Thanks so much - I haven't been taking any vitamin supplements.

Date: October 12, 2010 09:40PM

Outstanding!! Then Jan, you are golden! Best.

Paul

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables