Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Fruit & Vegetable Digestion
Posted by: ShineON ()
Date: July 10, 2006 07:16PM

From what I've researched your not supposed to eat fruits after vegetables. Ok here are my questions:

1. Is it bad to eat fruits after nuts?

2. Is it bad to eat vegetables after fruits?

3. How long after I eat a big salad or vegetables, can I consume fruits?

4. How about nuts after vegetables?

Thanks!

Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fruit & Vegetable Digestion
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 10, 2006 07:59PM

Hi Guys,

I have the same questions on combining of food, surely you cannot combine certain foods. This is a long discussion, since there are protein and starch, neutral and acid, sub acid and sweet fruits?

Does your way of living support the same stance?

Esme

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 10, 2006 10:05PM

-A simple thing to remember is:

1) Mix as little as possible
2) Eat faster things first (like soft fruits and juices) and eat slower things much later (like fibrous vegetables).

-In my experience, juice takes about 30 minutes to move through........fruit takes 30-60 minutes.........veggies take 1-2 hours.....and nuts or processed foods can take 2-4 hours or longer.

-I'm sure many of the wonderful folks on this board can give you the more detailed skinny - if you wish.

-David Mason

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: July 11, 2006 12:01AM

Jeff, the answer to this question is "It depends on where you are". Ultimately, it is best to mono-eat, but before you get to that stage, you will be likely to go through various transition phases (see Transition topic there, for example).

Happy munching,
Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: July 11, 2006 01:02AM

ShineON,

I don't eat greens every day because I am somewhat sensitive. On days when I don't eat greens, I don't have any trouble combining raw fruits and raw UNsprouted and UNsoaked nuts/seeds. In fact, some fruits and seeds come naturally packed together in one unit - like watermelon, or figs, or berries, or kiwis, or grapes, etc! I usually eat just fruit as my first meal of every day.

It's on the days that I have a green salad that I have to be more careful. I usually eat the salad in the afternoon or early evening, and have most of my fruit and all my UNsprouted and UNsoaked nuts/seeds at least 1/2 hour BEFORE the salad. SPROUTED seeds - like alfalfa sprouts - are fine to eat WITH the salad. I have noticed there are some fruits that I can eat after the salad. Oranges are a wonderful food and are very easy for me to eat after a salad with no problem at all (whole, not juiced). I always squeeze lemon juice onto my salads. I have found that apples, bananas, and plums are some of the worst fruits to eat after a green salad.

In my experience, UNsprouted and UNsoaked seeds/nuts combine easily with fruits, at least after you've been raw for a while. Once the nuts/seeds are soaked or sprouted, they become more like vegetables and combine more easily with vegetables.

Best wishes, -Ally

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2006 01:11AM by Ally.

Posted by: ShineON ()
Date: July 11, 2006 01:43AM

Thank you all so much... I figure now that you should eat fruits before greens/fats, because there is a layering effect in the stomach.

So I could eat salads right after fruit or should I wait 20 minutes ?

Also I am reading that it's ok to blend fruits and greens together and drink them, but not eat them together by chewing in my mouth? weird.

Does this just mean that I shouldn't eat green/fats and then fruits seperately?

Thanks again for your help..

Jeff

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: July 11, 2006 02:15AM

Personally I don't think fruits and greens should ever be eaten together or juiced together or blended together (except for the vegetable kind of fruits like cucumbers and tomatoes, and except for possibly citrus). Especially I don't think apples or bananas should ever be mixed with vegetables, even though that seems to be the thing to do right now for some raw vegans.

You're right to have noticed the contradiction. But like you said, there is a lot of conflicting information, and to find the right way for yourself will probably require some personal experimenting.

Best Wishes, -Ally

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2006 02:17AM by Ally.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables