Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pesticide reaction
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 22, 2010 07:48PM

So last night I go to the grocery store to get my produce to make my juices for the day..They have everything organic with the exception of Kale, so I figure I'll wash it well and there should be no problem..Well, it appears that in all my infinite wisdom(lol), I was severely misguided in that thought. Within about a minute of drinking my juice this morning, I got an upset stomach, and my body started to produce massive amounts of mucus...YUCK! In addition to that, I felt lethargic and foggy headed, sinuses swelled up and was having a hard time breathing..Has anyone else had any issue with this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pesticide reaction
Posted by: pborst ()
Date: October 22, 2010 08:30PM

I have been eating well washed and cleaned IPM kale and conventional kale for over 2 years with no reaction. In spite of title, pesticides may have nothing to do with it.

On the other hand, kale has shown up on the Environmental Working Group's list of 12, I believe. That said, you said that you washed it well. And you got an immediate reaction. That's a tough one. It could also be a pathogen, something else you ate. Any other reason why you believe it was a pesticide residue on the kale? Was the kale all you ate that night? If so, good for you. I'm not that restrictive.

In short,based on what you have said, it's pretty tough to say it was pesticides unless you took a sample of the produce. Otherwise, it's just conjecture.

Paul

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: October 22, 2010 08:35PM

TVEG08

It's also possible that the particuluar residual pesticide is one to which you, particularily, are allergic, 'cos what you're describing is a definite histamine response.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 22, 2010 08:59PM

@pborst- I had the same juice I normally have in the morning, the only difference was the kale was not organic this time.

@Tamukha- That was exactly what I thought, as I have had allergic reactions to kiwi in the past and the same thing happened.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: October 28, 2010 01:08PM

TVEG08,
Have you had similiar reactions to other items which were not organic? I cheated once with an item containing cottonseed oil, after several months of all organic. I felt so sick, foggy, awful afterwards. Conventional cotton is one

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: October 28, 2010 01:24PM

Conventional cotton is a very heavily sprayed crop. It was a bag of peanuts. I remember looking at the packaging, thinking what the? Its only peanuts, then I realized that I was wrong, it also contained cottonseed oil.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables