Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How to avoid getting scammed at the farmer's market?
Posted by: Delta223 ()
Date: November 24, 2010 09:58PM

Hi all,

I'm going to a farmer's market for the first time tomorrow. To be honest I'm a little nervous. I normally stick to the big stores for their reputation. Now I'll be dealing with a bunch of guys from who-knows-where with food that probably hasn't been inspected by anyone.

How do you guys shop these markets safely? Is there a good resource for examining food before buying?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to avoid getting scammed at the farmer's market?
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: November 25, 2010 01:22AM

I suggest that you buy organic.

All food-handling procedures for all certified organic produce are inspected by trained inspectors, and organic rules include measures that makes any food contamination extremely difficult. No other produce - no matter whether it's pruchased at a supermarket or a farmers' market - is subjected to such intense scrutiny.

Plus, buying organic is best for the planet, and for the future of a healthy food supply.

Posted by: RocketShip ()
Date: November 25, 2010 05:35AM

Interesting that you view farmers markets in that way... I view the big stores that way! Buying food in mass quantities, no way to inspect the goods, food brought from countries with questionable standards. Versus farmer's markets that have to comply with US standards and who typically don't produce in mass quantities. And with their reputation on the line they have a vested interest in producing quality products.

I would be much more worried about buying produce from countries that use human feces to fertilize vs the US that does not.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2010 05:37AM by RocketShip.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: November 25, 2010 10:52AM

As suncloud says buying organic is a good start, they have to comply with very strict standards i hear.

Ive never really heard of anyone having a bad time or getting scammed at a farmers market here, so im sure it will go fine and do haggle you can get yourself some good deals.

Posted by: Delta223 ()
Date: November 25, 2010 07:05PM

RocketShip Wrote:

I would be much more worried about buying produce from countries that use human feces to fertilize vs the US that does not.

----------

Is this actually a health risk though? I've read that the best meat in terms of protein quality is human flesh, so we may be our own best fertilizer as well!

Posted by: BackAgain ()
Date: November 26, 2010 02:13AM

Don't pay more per pound than what Whole Foods or your local CoOp sells it for. smiling smiley

I did the internet thing once of looking for small farms, farmers markets thinking I'd get better quality and prices but in some cases it just wasn't true and I went back to Whole Foods. A lot of their in season products are "local", just more "local" than I'd drive myself..within the nearest few states. I found organic products from a few states away cheaper and better than some guy who grew them in a greenhouse 10 minutes away.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: November 26, 2010 10:35AM

That is very true Backagain, these supermarket chains have such buying power that they sometimes end up able to offer the produce cheaper.

Although if your buying alot regularly usually you can come to some kind of deal with the farmers ive found.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: November 29, 2010 11:20AM

its quite true, regular bulk buyers tend to get great deals, be4I moved, I had found an organic farm nearby that wuold sell me Kale, in bunches more than twice as big as those in the store, for $1.30 each with a minimum purchase of 7.

They did a similar deal with me for other produce as well, It ended up being cheaper than non-organic food... they also gave me a going away gift, and 2 of them gave me a hug...I miss them, the food and the people...they where awesome...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: clank72 ()
Date: December 03, 2010 09:51PM

Just watch out.

I always tell people, if the fruit looks TOO perfect, there might be something wrong. I've seen apples at the farmers market that look so perfect they look fake. And if they get offended when you ask "are these organic", just say OK, and walk away.

People are willing to do anything for a buck these days, they don't care about you or your health, they need to pay bills.

Just watch out and take precaution.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: December 05, 2010 06:20AM

well yeah...any organic produce isnt going to look completely perfect, although some produce has no real pests, for instance, if you find yourself looking at pretty much perfect habenero's, that doesnt mean they arent organic... just that humans are the only species crazy enough to eat them...hehehe

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables