Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Calories in fresh juice?
Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: January 14, 2009 03:42PM

Does anyone know how many calories are in fresh juice? I've been on a juice fast, and I'm just curious how much I've been consuming. My weight it maintaining, I'm just wondering if I'm getting enough. I know not to count calories, but I'm tiny and like to make sure that I have enough, I guess it just makes me feel better for now. I've been juicing mainly greens, carrots. For example, if I juice 5 carrots, would I count the calories as if I were eating them? Or are there less?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Calories in fresh juice?
Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: January 16, 2009 03:06AM

Same as the whole food minus the fiber calories. Fiber calories are about two per gram, I believe... if you do a search I know arugula once said how many.

So 1 pound chard plus one apple, juiced =[calories of the foods]-[fiber calories of the foods]

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: January 16, 2009 12:30PM

so you weigh the juice, and not the whole food?

Posted by: Wies0087 ()
Date: January 16, 2009 10:12PM

Personally, instead of weighing anything and making calculations, I'd just look it up. I checked out a book on juicing from the library, and it included a chart of the amount of calories in many many types of juice. Maybe there's a similar chart online?

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: January 16, 2009 10:26PM

100 calories per cup from what i've seen.

Date: January 17, 2009 12:36AM

Thank you all very much. I've looked online, but find different results. I guess as long as I feel okay, it's all good! thanks!

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: January 17, 2009 08:30PM

I was saying, you look at the whole food (not the juice) and subtract calories from fiber typically found in that food.
To make something up--food X is 100 calories with 5 g fiber, juiced food X=100-(5*2)=90 calories. Except I think it's 2.5 cal/g not 2 for fiber--I forget.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: January 17, 2009 11:24PM

Another approach is to not count calories at all (I don't) and instead focus on your body signal and the way your body feels (including the fit of your clothes). As a transitional device until you get used to tuning in to your body you could possibly step on a scale occasionally (I do that once a year about birthday time). Good luck.

Date: January 19, 2009 11:46AM

Thank you all for your responses. I agree I don't like to count calories, I'm just very thin and get paranoid but I need to not let that bother me and become stronger. Any suggestions? How to get over what people see and be stronger in the awesome way I feel? And more secure? Any suggestions?

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: January 19, 2009 12:30PM

I agree, it's difficult. People don't think twice about saying 'Gosh you're thin' but they really wouldn't like it if you said 'Gosh, you're fat'.

However I think i am going to be a bit more blunt with people as they need to think about what they are saying.

Tell anyone who comments that you really like the way you are/ feel - do they feel the same way about themselves?

Or perhaps a better way, which I think i read somewhere on this board, is to just laugh because you know inside how healthy you are and it doesn't matter one iota what anyone else thinks or says.

Anyway try not to worry about what anyone else thinks - you sound pretty cool to me.

Date: January 19, 2009 04:36PM

Thanks flipperjan, I needed to hear that. Your words are very encouraging to me. Thank you so much, you're right, if I feel good who cares? I have to try harder not to care. Thank you so much!

Posted by: happyway ()
Date: January 19, 2009 05:13PM

There are internet sites to measure nutrition and installable computer software

[spaz.ca] works on apple computers

it's good for learning things sometimes, but daily use feels compulsive, and ultimately boring.

I learned there is more nutrition in broccolli stems (which can be peeled and eaten raw) then in the florettes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables