Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

dehydrator questions
Posted by: merry ()
Date: December 09, 2010 02:12PM

hello - I am reading some raw food recipes and find alot of them use a dehydrator. i dont have one and probably wont get one right now...
Is anyone raw food without using a dehydrator - is it necessary? I guess this is a common questions but would like to know the answer...

Also here I live in India and for about 6 months of the year we have good sun - has anyone tried cooking things directly in the sun - like slow cooking like crackers etc.? does it work?
I use a solar oven - I guess the temperatures are still to high to consider it raw food although it does taste and feel better cooked like that - but was wondering about a solar oven used without the panels as a dehydrator???

and for the 6 months of the year when there is monsoon, is it possible to be happily raw without anything at all?

thank you!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dehydrator questions
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: December 09, 2010 03:22PM

Hey, dehydrator is not necessary at all, its more used by those who like gourmet raw foods, many just eat lots of fruit, vegetables, nuts, seeds etc without the fancy recipes

personally i like a mix of both.

where i live rarely gets good enough sun so i cant answer your other question.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 10, 2010 04:32AM

You can definitely take advantage of the sun in India! That is the original dehydrator. Start of by experimenting with sliced fruits, see how long it takes. The biggest issue will be flies and such, you can buy a tiered (several levels) screended in dehydrator that you can hand from a pole or a tree and that will take care of that. Good luck!

Nomi Shannon
The Raw Gourmet

Posted by: RocketShip ()
Date: December 10, 2010 05:49AM

I have tried dehydrated raw foods in every form possible -- and the only time they taste good is when someone else makes it. I cannot make a proper dehydrated food!! I can handle simple stuff like crackers and flat cookies but anything more complex and I can't get it right. Which is frustrating because I dehydrate for a day or two then... yuck.

So I gave up trying to dehydrate meals. I use my dehydrator to make fruit leathers and stuff for my pets.

IMO, you do not need a dehydrator to eat raw. However, I think most people 'going raw' will go through the dehydrator phase and try all the recipes. Some will be successful, some won't (like myself).

Posted by: merry ()
Date: December 10, 2010 07:58AM

thanks for the replies everone have given...I guess for now I'll try out how a high raw diet suits my body before investing in the dehydrator...I'll try some cooking in the sun recipe and post here if it comes out well - flies are suprisinlgy not a major problem where I am but ants are - anything sweet they will detect within seconds sometimes so I will have to keep it above a bowl of water in some way.....

Posted by: RocketShip ()
Date: December 10, 2010 08:25AM

Perhaps you could build something like this so the ants can't get to it:
[stores.homestead.com]

Or you can get more complex... a google search for "sun dehydrator" has a lot of information.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables