Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Moving toward raw
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 26, 2010 09:54PM

Hi all. I am new to this board.

I am 27, going on 28 and just starting to feel the invincibility of youth slip away. I have flirted with raw / vegan life styles in the past but have fallen into a pretty standard 'healthyish' diet and the last few months have eaten a pretty meat-heavy diet.

I am really moved by the pictures and testimonials I have read and seen where people seem to get 10 years younger in 4 months.

On that note I have gone out and bought $60 of organic kale, frozen berries, bananas, etc etc; as good as I can do way out here in VT. I have also been sprouting wheat berries and lentils and am going to sprout some almonds.

I am hoping to hook into this community to sort of keep myself accountable and get ideas on how to really transition to a super-healthy diet, especially keeping in mind I will be deep in the bowels of winter soon.

As my first order of business I made a banana, apple, cider, kale smoothie.

I'd like to hear some great stories on how I should expect to feel, what type of results I should expect, what to look out for, etc etc.

I have a decent blender, and will be picking up a good juicer soon.

Thank you all

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Moving toward raw
Posted by: Delta223 ()
Date: November 27, 2010 02:33PM

Hi,

If you are moving from a very low quality diet (junk food as staples) then you'll probably experience some immediate positive effects like weight loss, increased energy, focus, etc.

But otherwise do not expect radical changes. Nutritional food can be thought of like a weak but natural, long term medicine. The shorter the time-frame, the more subtle the effects.

As a population, healthy eaters will fare much better in old age where you will really see the differences between populations of "healthy eaters" vs "non-healthy eaters." But even here there will be exceptions. Reducing your cancer risk by 80% means some people will do everything right and still get cancer.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 07, 2010 05:18PM

Hi- I am in my third week of eating 100% raw...I have not noticed any changes yet and am feeling very frustrated by this...Everything I read says the weight will melt right off of you following the raw diet...when does it start showing?

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: December 07, 2010 05:58PM

vintage v Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi- I am in my third week of eating 100% raw...I
> have not noticed any changes yet and am feeling
> very frustrated by this...Everything I read says
> the weight will melt right off of you following
> the raw diet...when does it start showing?

Pending you dont have a thyroid disorder or any other issues, weight loss is simple its calories in vs calories expended. You take in more than your expending your not going to lose weight.

Eating raw is no different, check fitday.com or a calorie tracker to see how many calories your averaging daily.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: December 07, 2010 06:43PM

Powerlifter: Pardon me for chiming in. I respect your experience and am not even high-raw yet, but I just want to give another opinion about Vintage's statement and your reply. I had the same experience just switching to a vegan diet for six months, doing an experiment to see what would happen. It took a while to kick in. For someone starting raw, it may be a month or two before one's body began to clean out properly and the metabolism to get into high gear. Like gunk in machinery, our bodies do not function properly when weighed down with toxins. Eating so much high-water food flushes out the body and allow for cleasing! I simply don't believe in calories being equal. It used to drive me batty to watch this woman on the "Today Show" who would say "eat this, not that" and claimed that guacamole was worse than a cupcake (or equivalent silliness) simply because of calories. Refined sugar/flour trumps lipase-laden, fat-digesting avocados?

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: December 07, 2010 10:42PM

It also depends on how much nuts, avocados and bananas a person is eating, those tend to reduce weightloss considerably when eating them as a primary part of a raw diet...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: RocketShip ()
Date: December 08, 2010 06:34AM

Calories in vs expended is old school. Well, to be more accurate... it is old 'cooked' school. When eating all cooked dead food, sure that formula holds true.

Vintage... don't look at eating raw as a 'diet'. If you aren't losing weight then you may need to adjust the types of foods you are eating while your body adjusts. More greens, less fruits or more fat more greens, etc. Remember, your body has just switched from one fuel source to another fuel source and needs time to adjust. You may not be eating ENOUGH food and your metabolism may have crashed.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: December 08, 2010 09:53AM

Theres many different factors on how every food is digested and metabolised but the rule of the thumb still comes down to calories in vs calories expended, it really has nothing to do with cooked food.

Most fruit and vegetables digest quicker than other foods including many other raw foods so that is a factor, but if you were eating 6000 calories raw sitting on your bum all day then you'd put on weight.

Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: December 11, 2010 12:43AM

vintage v Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi- I am in my third week of eating 100% raw...I
> have not noticed any changes yet and am feeling
> very frustrated by this...Everything I read says
> the weight will melt right off of you following
> the raw diet...when does it start showing?

Vintage V, please don't be discouraged, you might be changing and not realizing it. Not all changes from a diet change are visible. Your cholesterol may have dropped, your blood sugar may be stabilizing, your blood pressure might be dropping, your arteries might be repairing, your liver could be healing, etc. Are you feeling any differently on your new diet?

Definitely try plugging your diet into Fitday or tracking what you eat through Nutrition Data or some other source. You might be surprised by how what you are eating adds up nutritionally and calorically.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables