Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New to raw food diet
Posted by: Jet Li ()
Date: December 18, 2010 03:16AM

Hi i am new to eating raw food what i want to know is what exact foods can i eat that are completely raw and will help me put on weight i currently weigh 100 pounds.
The foods i eat must be affordable also have to be 100 percent raw as i cannot afford organic foods in general i am lactose intolerant so i cannot eat any dairy products and these exact foods must contain protein with a good source of healthy vitamins they also have to be unproccessed food not processed. One more thing my stomach is very sensitive to oil

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New to raw food diet
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: December 18, 2010 05:34AM

Avocados are awesome, super good for you, and if you eat allot, will help you gain weight, and it shouldnt matter to much if they arent organic as their thick skin should protect them from pesticides... Bananas are also good... your gonna want allot more variety though, whatever fruits and veggies you enjoy that are within your budget can help increase the variety of raw foods your eating...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: RocketShip ()
Date: December 18, 2010 07:14AM

Jet Li... are you currently eating 100% raw diet? For how long?

Date: December 18, 2010 05:46PM

No i am not currently eating a 100% raw food diet. This is very new to me i have never eaten attempted to eat 100% raw

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: December 18, 2010 05:51PM

Your going to need to take in more calories than your expending to put on weight. Fit day or other calorie calculators will help see what your average caloric intake is.

Calorie dense raw foods are avocados, nuts and seeds.

Date: December 18, 2010 07:03PM

powerlifer could you be more specific answer my question i can't just eat avocados nuts and seeds all day that's boring

Date: December 18, 2010 07:05PM

Another question i have once i go on this 100% raw food diet will that make me lose my hair on parts of my body like arms, legs and everywhere else?

Date: December 18, 2010 07:14PM

Jet Li Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> powerlifer could you be more specific answer my
> question i can't just eat avocados nuts and seeds
> all day that's boring

What i meant was that these are the most calorie dense raw foods so they should be included as they will help increase your calories easily, but the rest should come from fruit and vegetables, and some seaweeds(for iodine).

You will need to play around with a caloric calculator to show how much you need to eat to gain weight on a raw food lifestyle. Me personally im only high raw i eat alot fruit, vegetables but i also eat cooked vegan meals so its easy for me to pick up the calories with beans/pulses etc.

Im not sure about your second question, if eating healthy and not missing vital nutrients you wont lose hair.

Date: December 19, 2010 01:01AM

Reason i am asking is because i have a friend that is on a vegetarian diet and is losing hair everyday.

Where would i buy most of my raw food any suggestions it has to be from an affordable place i live in toronto, ontario

I would like suggestions what do you eat powerlifer?

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: December 19, 2010 02:06AM

welcome to the forums Jet li smiling smiley im in canada too smiling smiley not sure what your friend is doing vegetarian wise but vegetarian and vegan an raw vegan are all very different horses of different colors

seek out silica and protein rich foods they help with hair and nails smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: December 19, 2010 06:26AM

What are some protein rich foods that i can eat that are affordable and also what are good calorie foods that are from fruits and vegetables be really specific i need to know this information right away. One more thing what is alkaline foods?
Anyone here from toronto?

Date: December 19, 2010 07:12AM

Eating a healthy raw food diet is not something that you rush into or can learn 'right away' from a few posts in a forum. I highly recommend you relax, take your time learning how to eat healthy, and begin adding healthy raw foods into your current diet.

But if you are in a great big hurry to go 100% raw... stand in the fresh produce section of your grocery store... look at all the yummy fresh produce... and what you see is what you can eat.

Why are you underweight with your current diet? Do you have a health issue that is making you underweight?

Date: December 19, 2010 07:50AM

Put it this way the food i eat right now with my current diet it does nothing to help me gain any weight anything i eat doesn't absorb or give me the vital nutrients so i have to try something else like the raw food diet. I don't gain any weight with what i currently eat so it makes no sense to continue eating a diet that just doesn't work for me and i don't enjoy this diet i am on most of the time i am very dissatisfied with what i eat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2010 07:53AM by Jet Li.

Date: December 19, 2010 08:05AM

Also i have a very dry scalp so that is why i decided to eat raw food from now on.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what foods would get rid of my dry dandruff? I have already tried using anti-dandruff shampoo that stuff just does not work for me at all.

Date: December 19, 2010 08:58AM

I am curious... exactly what are you eating now? Can you give an example of a daily food intake? How tall are you?

Your current health concerns me, and I worry that you may have an underlining health issue or possible eating disorder considering that you are so insistant that you eat only 100% raw immediately without knowing much about how to eat healthy. (Please don't take that personally... I am here to help. smiling smiley

Date: December 19, 2010 10:57AM

Jet Li Wrote:
> Reason i am asking is because i have a friend that
> is on a vegetarian diet and is losing hair
> everyday.
>
> Where would i buy most of my raw food any
> suggestions it has to be from an affordable place
> i live in toronto, ontario
>
> I would like suggestions what do you eat
> powerlifer?

Vegetarian and vegan diets are notorious for being low or deficient in iodine, does he have any other symptoms of low thyroid, he should try eating seaweeds which are rich in iodine, protein and other minerals that he might be low in.

I eat alot of fruit, vegetables, some nuts/seeds but i also eat a few vegan cooked meals a day, so i can only be considered high raw.

Posted by: merry ()
Date: December 19, 2010 11:37AM

I have heard that zinc deficinecy can make dandruff but I have no idea if that is your case. Other possible cause is yeast infection. You could try virgin coconut oil mixed with a little neem oil - (neem oil isnt 100% necessary) , leave it in for some hours before shampooing. Neem powder is also good mixed with water to make a paste .Both these things have worked for me - the neem probablly most efficively if you can get it. Those are only topical treatments - I hope you can work out your diet so that problem will come less over time....

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 19, 2010 05:18PM

Jet Li,

I second RocketShip's concern that you might have an underlying disorder if you cannot maintain weight no matter what you eat. Have you had a physical with a doctor, lately?

As for living in the T O: start with the Asian markets, then regular green grocers. Buy stuff in bulk, especially sweet fruits--calorie dense foods, like very sugary fruits, or starch or fatty ones(banana, avocado, respectively) can help you put on weight. Check out supermarkets for minimally processed nuts. I'd try health food stores last, as they tend to be more expensive. Good luck.

Date: December 19, 2010 07:01PM

No i have not had a physical lately with my doctor lately i don't have an eating disorder at all this is a rare disorder that i have had for 1 year.

The only thing i eat is oatmeal and pasta right now that's my diet but it's not like it matters anything i eat is useless to my body nutrition wise the food does maintain my weight but other than that it does nothing else. I'm 5"6 i am the only one that has this disorder no i know of has the same health issue i have.

Could you be more specific how would i know if a place is specifically a green grocer and what do you mean asian markets do you mean supermarket?

Date: December 19, 2010 09:28PM

O.o oatmeal and pasta?... wow... I was gonna suggest getting checked for parasites, but if thats all your eating, that may have something to do with it... uhm, any big grocery store will have allot of veggies and fruits, asian markets can have a number of really good deals, they are stores that carry primarily asian foods...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: December 19, 2010 09:38PM

Jet Li Wrote:
> No i have not had a physical lately with my doctor
> lately i don't have an eating disorder at all this
> is a rare disorder that i have had for 1 year.
>
> The only thing i eat is oatmeal and pasta right
> now that's my diet but it's not like it matters
> anything i eat is useless to my body nutrition
> wise the food does maintain my weight but other
> than that it does nothing else. I'm 5"6 i am the
> only one that has this disorder no i know of has
> the same health issue i have.
>
> Could you be more specific how would i know if a
> place is specifically a green grocer and what do
> you mean asian markets do you mean supermarket?

Im not sure if im following this correctly, but why do you feel that any other food than oatmeal and pasta is useless to your body?

Restricting yourself to these 2 foods is setting yourself up for major nutrient deficiencies. If you have some kind of gastro problems let us know i know of many ways to help intestinal issues.

But i have to agree with others im not sure why your limiting yourself to these 2 foods, that is sign of an eating disorder im afraid.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 19, 2010 09:41PM

Jet Li,

You are clearly undernourished; oatmeal and pasta isn't food--it's a foreign aid worker emergency kit. Why is this all you are eating? Why? Expense? Your illness? I don't want to pry, but it would really help us advise you what to eat if we knew what your illness is.

An Asian market is a supermarket with a large produce area, and run by Asians. Most of them in T O will be in Chinatown. A green grocer is a produce market, which may also have some regular goceries, but in any case has fruits and veggies raw and bulk(not just in packages).

I am getting the feeling you are young and not used to doing the shopping. Ask someone you know and can count on to take you around to these places and check out the costs of raw fruits and veggies. Talk to the manager about freshness and origin of the things you want to buy, and whether you can get discounts for buying stuff in large amounts or over ripe. You need to start taking in a hell of a lot more food of greater variety if you want to get healthy. And if you can, please get a physical done with a doctor. Please.

Date: December 20, 2010 03:19AM

Jet... what is the 'rare disorder' that you have had for a year? There may be members here who have the same problem and can guide you in how they have adjusted their raw diet to help the disorder get better. Is the disorder the reason you only eat oatmeal and pasta? Are there specific foods that you just cannot eat for medical reasons associated with the disorder?

How many calories are you taking in each day on average? You asked about protein rich raw foods... where do you get your protein now?

Date: December 20, 2010 03:21PM

I can eat anything except foods that are high in oil like bacon and my stomach is sensitive to oil. I don't eat foods that have protein in them on an average day i get less than 1500 calories i don't know what to do anymore i will be seeing my family doctor this week to see if it helps. This disorder does not prevent me from eating anything else also i mentioned i am lactose intolerant

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2010 03:22PM by Jet Li.

Date: December 20, 2010 07:10PM

I am glad you will be seeing the doctor soon. Be sure to be totally honest with him/her about what you eat and how much so he can help you. smiling smiley

Date: December 20, 2010 07:48PM

Im not sure what you mean by high in oil, i take it you mean in the case of frying bacon.

What disorder are you on about jet li im eager to help but cant without more information. If its because your stomach is sensitive to certain foods it doesnt mean to eliminate all food. Every food contains some degree of protein. If the disorder your on about is a digestive ailment there are many things we can suggest, i had problems myself.

But to be frank the way your living isnt healthy and will cause major problems down the line, just because you dont put on weight eating these foods doesnt mean they arent being absorbed you'd know if they werent they'd come out whole in your bowel movement in which case bitter herbs on the back of the tongue and supplements to increase your stomach acid/bile flow would be vital.

When your young putting on weight can be hard, metabolism can be very fast in youth so like i say just because your not putting on weight doesnt mean the food isnt being absorbed. Your going to end up shutting your body down on these 2 foods.

I hope this helps in some way.

Date: December 20, 2010 08:20PM

What i meant was anything i eat i feel it is useless to my body nutrition wise even if the food absorbs so what it makes no sense to eat food just for the sake of eating it that to me is a waste of food it no way benefits my body.

Date: December 20, 2010 08:35PM

Jet li, good luck with your condition, I hope the Dr can help you, and that our suggestions will end up being helpful as well.

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: December 20, 2010 08:53PM

Jet Li Wrote:
> What i meant was anything i eat i feel it is
> useless to my body nutrition wise even if the food
> absorbs so what it makes no sense to eat food just
> for the sake of eating it that to me is a waste of
> food it no way benefits my body.

It does though mate even though you might not feel it, your nourishing your body with much needed vitamins, minerals, amino acids etc. It is not going to waste.

What your doing is a very dangerous practice, coming from someone with a light eating disorder background i can relate to these thoughts but you need to get help or snap out of these thoughts soon.

Putting it another way what makes oatmeal and pasta significant over other foods you wish to eliminate?

Pending some intestinal condition anything you eat nourishes the body whether it is processed, raw etc it doesnt matter. Even if you do have an digestive condition like i had you need to take in as much nutrition as possible.

Take care

Date: December 21, 2010 03:50AM

Actually i have had this disorder since february this year until now not for 1 year i was wrong just clearing that up i'm going to see my doctor to get a physical tommorrow than i will see what is really wrong with me. I got this disorder after i worked at my previous job that's how i started to get this disorder.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2010 03:54AM by Jet Li.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables