Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Oil that can be added to fresh juice
Posted by: dinesh75 ()
Date: January 16, 2009 04:21PM

Hi guys,

I currently juice fruits and veggies. I add chlorella, spirulina and some raw super food supplement to it. This is my big breakfast every day. Now I am thinking that I should start adding some healthy oils.

What do you guys recommend that I add? Flax seed? coconut? suggestions plz!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Oil that can be added to fresh juice
Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: January 16, 2009 06:47PM

Why add anything to fresh raw natural vegan foods ?

Posted by: dinesh75 ()
Date: January 16, 2009 07:02PM

oh I was thinking of fresh vegan oils smiling smiley. I am really leaning towards cold pressed raw organic flaxseed oil.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 16, 2009 09:13PM

Nuts, seeds, and fatty fruit are better than oils.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: January 16, 2009 09:20PM

I don't see a problem with adding hemp or flax oil to your juice. Do what you want, not what others think you should do.

Posted by: justin1 ()
Date: January 17, 2009 12:44AM

Utopian Life Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't see a problem with adding hemp or flax oil to your juice. Do what you want, not what others think you should do.

---in total agreement...!

---as well you can use a cold pressed virgin olive oil (preferably organic) (just do not over do it, as with any other thing...smiling smiley)

---be guided by your body signs and trust body's inner intelligence-instinct and ability to choose right.

---to "combine" fruits (sugars) with good healthy fats is beneficial..., but of course only you yourself can find it out...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 17, 2009 04:33AM

arugula Wrote:
> Nuts, seeds, and fatty fruit are better than oils.

Oils digest better than nuts, IME.

Also nuts & mostly imbalanced.

note : even your study shows olive oil being superior to even many vegetables

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2009 04:44AM by communitybuilder.

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: January 17, 2009 08:29PM

Nuts etc are while foods, oils are not and lack vitamins, minerals and other nutrients of the whole food. How your our body be evolved to regulate something that doesn't exist in nature?

Date: January 17, 2009 09:20PM

rost0037 Wrote:
> Nuts etc are whole foods, oils are not and lack vitamins, minerals and other nutrients of the whole food. How your our body be evolved to regulate something that doesn't exist in nature?

---some nuts are better than others, such as brazil nuts and macadamia nuts are the best, as they contain more good healthy fats, and very high grade/quality of biovailable protein...

---...so, both fats and protein from nuts are good and necessary to complement and balance the fruits. protein from nuts "upgrade" the protein from fruits.

---you use cold pressed organic olive oil to get needed fats to balance out sugars from fruits, it is not for vitamins you use the oil.

---fruits contain all the needed vitamins, minerals, and proteins you need, what you should do is to keep it all balanced, sugars, fats and proteins...

---so, rather more sugars and fats with a lesser quantity but higher quality of proteins...

---the "whole" food is our concept which serves a certain good purpose, however we live in an messed up world, and we must do our best to set up our foods as balanced as possible in their combination.

Date: January 17, 2009 10:43PM

rost0037 Wrote:
> Nuts etc are while foods, oils are not and lack
> vitamins, minerals and other nutrients of the
> whole food. How your our body be evolved to
> regulate something that doesn't exist in nature?

You mean like a computer?

Isolated juice extracts don't exist in nature either & neither do knives or spoons, how far back do you want to go?

Posted by: happyway ()
Date: January 17, 2009 10:59PM

IMO
drink fruit juice without anything added
and have you oils/fats with another meal
then again my religion is food combining
but my gut is grateful

Date: January 18, 2009 05:51PM

happyway Wrote:
> IMO drink fruit juice without anything added and have you oils/fats with another meal then again my religion is food combining but my gut is grateful

---indeed i leave my tasty fresh gently squeezed fruit juices alone, and experience their taste as it is...

---fats and denser foods could be placed in the end of a meal...

---what food combining scheme do you follow...? is it a NH one?

---do you follow a sequential eating, a sort of "mono" eating of one fruit/food at a time...? with a time intervals in between the different foods...?

---i think it is good to know about food combining, however, as you say your own gut should guide in our choosing...smiling smiley

---as i understand it is still a bit of a mystery how and why foods are better combined and handled by our organism..., - if you have any further insight on that it would be interesting to know, there are always more space to learn and grow...winking smiley

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: January 18, 2009 05:55PM

communitybuilder Wrote:
> rost0037 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Nuts etc are while foods, oils are not and lack
> > vitamins, minerals and other nutrients of the
> > whole food. How your our body be evolved to
> > regulate something that doesn't exist in
> nature?
>
> You mean like a computer?
>

unless you eat your computer, it's not too relevant.

> Isolated juice extracts don't exist in nature
> either & neither do knives or spoons, how far back
> do you want to go?

the naked toolless ape. that's how far.
so yes, i agree, no utensils or juices is best

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: January 18, 2009 06:40PM

communitybuilder

Isolated juice extracts don't exist in nature either & neither do knives or spoons, how far back do you want to go?

I don't think you have to go back any further then the present state of good digestion, absorption, and elimination with whole foods eaten simply being the optimum model.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2009 06:42PM by EZ rider.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: January 18, 2009 07:28PM

I haven't eaten oils as a staple for over 6 years now. If I get a meal at a raw restaurant, there might be oils in there, but for myself, I use whole foods.

Eating an oil is somewhat akin to eating table sugar. In table sugar, the fiber, water, vitamins, and minerals have all been removed from the sugar cane, and all that remains is one single nutrient - sugar. Same is true of oil, that the fiber, water, vitamins and minerals have all been removed, and all that remains is one single nutrient - fat.

Most transitional raw foodists eat too much fat, some in excess if 60% fat as a percentage of calories. I used to make salads that were in excess of 80% fat. If you start putting oils into your vegetable juices, these meals will be in excess of 60% fat, perhaps even in excess of 90% fat.

For a transitional raw diet, this is OK. But long term, I wouldn't do it.

Date: January 19, 2009 06:42AM

Justin:

---what food combining scheme do you follow...? is it a NH one?

More or less

---do you follow a sequential eating, a sort of "mono" eating of one fruit/food at a time...? with a time intervals in between the different foods...?

Some of my meals are mono meals. Or 2 foods like: bananas and apples. Or 3 foods like : apples bananas and dates. Many are simple with no slicing, dicing and sauces.I'm not into sequential eating the way Dr. Stanley Bass is; but I do tend to start the day out with a couple fruit meals.

---i think it is good to know about food combining, however, as you say your own gut should guide in our choosing...smiling smiley

Yes the body gives excellent feedback.

---as i understand it is still a bit of a mystery how and why foods are better combined and handled by our organism..., - if you have any further insight on that it would be interesting to know, there are always more space to learn and grow...winking smiley

The basics seem simple to me:
[www.formerfatguy.com]
[www.ask.com]
[www.alderbrooke.com]

This book disagrees with H. Shelton on a few points, and has some interesting info.
The New Book of Food Combining: A Completely New Approach to Healthy Eating Paperback: 144 pages
Publisher: Element Books (February 1995)
by Jan Dries (Author)
[www.amazon.com]

this is the link for Dr. Bass's article on sequential eating:
[drbass.com]

Date: January 19, 2009 11:42PM

happyway Wrote:
The basics seem simple to me: [www.formerfatguy.com]
[www.ask.com]
[www.alderbrooke.com]

This book disagrees with H. Shelton on a few points, and has some interesting info.
The New Book of Food Combining: A Completely New
Approach to Healthy Eating Paperback: 144 pages
Publisher: Element Books (February 1995)
by Jan Dries (Author)
[www.amazon.com]

this is the link for Dr. Bass's article on
sequential eating:
[drbass.com]

---thanks for sharing

---can you shortly sumarize the main idea from this source to what you agree?

---in what way it differs from Shelton's food combining?

---btw, i like and resonate more with T.C.Fry's fruitarian perspective, but i am not sure of his fruit combining ideas..., - is it the same acidic-subacidic-sweet fruit types classification logic...?

---as well: fats-sugars-proteins combining schemes do not seem to me simple and logical at all..., all depends on ratios to eachother, as one fruit contain all the three: sugars-fats-proteins....

---for example, i experience that drinking citrus fruits "triggers" desire/craving for fats; as well proteins trigger desire for fats; high sugars trigger desire for proteins and fats...etc etc...

---then, body's chemical (pH) balance (or more often unbalance) differs from body to body, or from time to time for the same body...

---personal testing, experimenting and evaluating of the after effects from eating/drinking seems be the only way how to choose and decide for the "perfect" ratio of substances and their properties and - effects from different foods and types of foods, IME...

Date: January 20, 2009 12:08AM

fresh Wrote:
> unless you eat your computer, it's not too
> relevant.

It's very relevent. It effects how we use our bodies, how we think, it puts off chemicals. It changes us as much as what we eat.

> > Isolated juice extracts don't exist in nature
> > either & neither do knives or spoons, how far
> back
> > do you want to go?
>
> the naked toolless ape. that's how far.
> so yes, i agree, no utensils or juices is best

We're not naked or toolless. Why would anyone want to deevolve below even tool using chimps?

Posted by: doghouse reilly ()
Date: January 20, 2009 01:42AM

I agree with Bryan. My health improved on so many levels when I finally stopped consuming all oils. They are the most refined food a "raw foodist" can consume.

That being said, try it out in your juice if you want. Even when I was eating a lot of raw oils, putting it juice made me gag.

Date: January 20, 2009 12:30PM

Justin as you say your own body is the boss.

Good bowel function for me is an easy quick evacuation after every meal on average, but not always; with the toilet paper remaining clean.

Anything that doesn't interfere with that, or cause discomfort is alright from a "food combining viewpoint".

Everyone probably has different levels of hydrochloric acid production.

My partner likes fruit with lettuce and celery, I don't.
I have no desire to combine oranges with bananas, or dates with grapefruits.

Beans cause gas because they are a protein starch combination.

It all seems simple and doable. There is a lot of information online.
Sorry, I don't remember the details of the book, it is very cheap used from Amazon. I think the book agrees with your point that some fruits are acid sugar combinations. Anyway I enjoy Shelton's system and so does my gut. However it's only one tool. Presently my body doesn't seem to want any fats or nuts, it's a mystery; but as you say things differ from time to time for the same body.
Mistakes are temporarily uncomfortable, but because I learn from them, I would rather suffer briefly than remain blind and continue in folly. After some headaches I got the message about the nuts. Probably "my" body is more into cleansing than building at this time...who knows?

I have no idea why citrus causes you to crave fat. According to Doug Grahm not enough fruit calories causes cravings for grains, fats, and etc. He says many people don't eat enough when they begin raw and recommends eating bananas past the full feeling to get used to eating enough. He has an online forum and website and book.

But of course as you say Justin your own body is the boss.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: January 20, 2009 01:35PM

communitybuilder Wrote:
> fresh Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > unless you eat your computer, it's not too
> > relevant.
>
> It's very relevent. It effects how we use our
> bodies, how we think, it puts off chemicals. It
> changes us as much as what we eat.
>

has nothing to do with digestion

>
> > > Isolated juice extracts don't exist in nature
> > > either & neither do knives or spoons, how far
> > back
> > > do you want to go?
> >
> > the naked toolless ape. that's how far.
> > so yes, i agree, no utensils or juices is best
>
> We're not naked or toolless. Why would anyone
> want to deevolve below even tool using chimps?

please. it's not devolving.
because you will have proper digestion and relationship with food.

Date: January 20, 2009 10:26PM

Bryan Wrote:
> I haven't eaten oils as a staple for over 6 years now. If I get a meal at a raw restaurant, there might be oils in there, but for myself, I use whole foods.

Most transitional raw foodists eat too much fat, some in excess if 60% fat as a percentage of calories. I used to make salads that were in excess of 80% fat. If you start putting oils into your vegetable juices, these meals will be in excess of 60% fat, perhaps even in excess of 90% fat. For a transitional raw diet, this is OK. But long term, I wouldn't do it.

---Bryan, thanks for sharing

---could you please elaborate more on your fat consumption:
--is it 10% fat of your total amount calories per meal or per day?
--do you consume avocado and/or nuts and/or some other fatty fruits?
--are you 100% fruiarian, or do you eat vegetables as well?

---i understand it is usually used expression that "fat craving" is a "transitional" thing, but i feel that even long term raw-foodist and raw-fruitarians are getting this type of frequent cravings for fat..., i have been on a raw vegan mostly high-water fruits diet for 8-years, and prior to that on a "healthy" vegetarian diet for many years, and still as long as i eat conventional foods, i get this "fat-cravings"...

---question is, toward what are we "transitioning"...?
...- breatharianism...?
(...- in this case, fasting, not eating or foods, would be the real substance behind transitioning, where eating and foods, as long as these are not too harmful or addictive, are really of a secondary importance..., ime)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables