Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Amaranth flour pancakes - is this raw?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 31, 2010 07:44PM

Hey everyone I'm very new to this raw food diet so I hope someone here can help. I can't find the answer to this question so here goes: I've been making pancakes using amaranth, buckwheat and brown rice flour, but am I somehow destroying the nutrients and enzymes by heating them in the pan? Should I try to cook them on very low heat? I want to keep my diet 100% raw, so I'm not sure if this qualifies.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Amaranth flour pancakes - is this raw?
Date: December 31, 2010 08:02PM

If you're cooking it, it's not raw. Here's the test, if you could put your hand in the pan and hold it there for as long as the pancake and You're not cooking, then the pancake isn't.
The max temperature is 118 degrees or so. But if this is all you're eating that's not raw you're doing pretty great winking smiley.

Date: December 31, 2010 08:55PM

Thanks, that's kind of what I figured. I still want to know if the heat above 118 degrees is actually destroying any of the nutrients, can anyone clarify? I understand that cooking other foods at high temperatures breaks down the nutrients, but are these flours an exception?

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: December 31, 2010 09:37PM

it can destroy some nutrients, it depends on what your cooking, in some cases it can destroy all useful nutrients, and in other cases no, and in a few cases such as with most tubers(like potatoes and sweet potatoes), cooking at higher heat is the only thing thing that makes them completely safe to eat, then there are certain things like a tomato, when gently cooked, loses some nutrients, but increases it cancer fighting capabilities allot... In most cases though with other veggies and fruits and seeds, you destroy most useful nutrients by cooking...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: December 31, 2010 10:24PM

Dude, you can totally eat sweet potatoes raw, they're really good.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: January 01, 2011 08:39AM

you can eat them, but they contain an enzyme that reduces your ability to absorb protein... so, eat raw at your own risk.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: January 01, 2011 01:50PM

Everything has something about it, so many greens have toxins, fruit too much sugar, etc etc. Viktoria Boutenko wrote a great article about eating a variety of foods to negate any negative effects of one. I mean, just how many sweet potatoes is anyone going to eat at one sitting? Not enough to worry about.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 01, 2011 02:20PM

kyle,

The best test for whether a prepared product is raw is how minimally processed it is upon purchase. In the case of milled grain products, they have already likely been exposed to nutrient destroying heat or storage in processing, rendering them "cooked." Also, and more importantly, unless sprouted, many grains cannot be digested by you without the addition of moisture and heat[you're not a bird]. Thus, grain flour is not raw.

To eat things raw does not mean simply eating generally cooked things underheated. There are categories of food, like milled grains and animal products(which I won't go into here), as well as certain plant foods, that cannot be easily digested or are even harmful unless cooked. Do some research, spend some time on these boards, and ask questions like this one, and you'll figure it out. Good luck smiling smiley

Date: January 01, 2011 07:22PM

Thanks Tamukha, that clears things up and makes sense smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables