Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What to do with nut shells?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 04, 2011 06:51PM

Is there any use for them? They don't compost well but it's not a thing I want to stick in the land fill. Got any ideas creative people? Thanks! smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What to do with nut shells?
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 04, 2011 07:33PM

i put them (mostly walnut and almond shells) into a ziploc and smash the beejebus out of them then put a handfull into my plant pots on the botom for drainage smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: January 05, 2011 10:30PM

Have a fire or chuck them on the flowerbeds as a mulch - or what's wrong with putting them in landfill - so long as they are not in plastic bags - they will rot eventually. Broken up they are fine in the compost.

Date: January 05, 2011 10:50PM

It's such a lot of shells, they overwhelm the compost bin. And the rubbish collectors here are not fond of unbagged trash. They seem to make a point of spreading it up and down the alley way whenever given the opportunity. A hasty bunch but who can blame them, it's rather a smelly job.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: January 06, 2011 08:07AM

True - it's the flowerbeds then or - are you in the countryside? you could scatter them in the hedgerows or woodlands - now that conjurs up rather a romantic image - wandering through elegant woodlands strewing nut shells!!

Date: January 06, 2011 01:40PM

Ha ha! We're in the city now but not far from the county. Might save them up then and take them out to the cottage in the summer. Won't the kids think that's fun...

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 07, 2011 04:10AM

hey if ya throw on some fairy wings it could be fun grinning smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: January 07, 2011 07:25AM

you should eat them, it will cure anythinggrinning smiley...j/k

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: January 10, 2011 01:32AM

Oh, how I wish you lived next door to me. I'd take those shells off your hands! I save my nut shells and put them through my old vitamix blender till they are well powdered, then put them in the garden. They help with drainage and since the pieces are so tiny they eventually break down into humus. Hot damn, I'd kill for your nutshells.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables