Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Healing weight loss and colitis
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: January 13, 2011 06:17PM

I am concerned about my boyfriend and am wondering if there is anything else that could be added to his diet to help him heal, or also if there is anyone else who experienced something similar and how they have healed...

A few years ago he got really sick and started seeing a naturopath. He was allergic to a ton of different foods and had perforations in his stomach lining, and colitis. He was eating high raw + some meat (fish and strange things the doctor recommended) and he did improve.

He still suffers badly from colitis, though, and he is in terrible pain many days. He's also underweight (maybe 6' and 140 lbs?).

He switched to a 100% raw/vegan diet several months ago. He doesn't eat any nuts, just sprouted flax, hemp, and sesame seeds. We use avocado in place of oil. I sprout often (no grains!), we eat seaweed, and I just started juicing some wheatgrass for him this week (so much fun to watch it grow!). We eat lots of fruit and salad, but are not quite 8-1-1 because of the avocado. Nori rolls are a staple. He has tried 8-1-1 but feels bad without the avocado, and I don't think he can handle eating the sheer volume of food required to get sufficient calories right now.

Is there anything else anyone knows that could help? Does it just take time to heal? Are there any other things that should be absolutely avoided?

Thank you in advance! I love this forum for all the amazing knowledge and people here. smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Healing weight loss and colitis
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: January 13, 2011 06:28PM

There are many different types of colitis some autoimmune such as ulcerative colitis which is triggered off by a certain type of bacteria and also involves adrenal gland dysfunction.

Any idea if they are just referring to an inflammation of the colon or a specific form of colitis.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: January 13, 2011 08:24PM

phantom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He still suffers badly from colitis, though, and
> he is in terrible pain many days. He's also
> underweight (maybe 6' and 140 lbs?).
Eating, even the best foods, is not the answer. Strange as it may seem, an extended Water Fast (21-days, or more)
is the only sure cure. Read Dr. Jack Goldstein's book on how he healed his Ulcerated Colitis...on a 6-weeks Fast. It's available used from
Amazon.com......WY

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: January 13, 2011 08:37PM

It sounds like your boyfriend is doing pretty well diet wise. It may just need some time to heal, or perhaps a water fast is necessary. Check out Self Healing Colitis & Crohn's by David Klein.

Date: January 13, 2011 08:39PM

Crohns is another autoimmune disease part triggered by a certain strain of bacteria and part adrenal gland dysfunction i dont see how a water fast could take care of either of those issues, other than temporarily taking dietary stress off the adrenal glands.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 13, 2011 08:54PM

Well, powerlifer, no infection can be sustained in a body not intaking nutrients allowing it to cadge metabolic processes for its own needs. IMO, a water fast would theoretically work, as, at the very least, it would allow the immune system to "reset" its responses to food stimuli.

Date: January 13, 2011 09:19PM

powerlifer, its a good thing that your understanding of how a water fast works is not a prerequisite for a water fast working smiling smiley

Date: January 13, 2011 09:19PM

Its only triggered by a bacteria not an active infection causing crohns.

A good choice would be yucca root or licorice root for the inflammation.

Lol i just prefer a more scientific approach than water fasting, not that it cant work ive heard alot of good for fasting but i dont put much faith in it for this type of condition which roots are likely not to be helped by temporarily relieving inflammation from no food being introduced.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2011 09:24PM by powerlifer.

Date: January 13, 2011 09:29PM

powerlifer, your mentioning of roots reminds me of one of the drawbacks of water fasting. Most diseases are cause by habits or diet we have that are not in accordance with out body's needs. When we water fast, we give our body a chance to reset itself, because during this time, hopefully we are not practicing those habits that are harmful to us, and with the extra rest and sleep and energy saved from not digesting food, our bodies can heal themselves.

However, if after the fast, we return to our old unhealthful habits, any healing we saw happen on a water fast will reappear given enough time. So while water fasting can remove a lot of symptoms of disease, the disease will come back if we do not remove the habits or foods that originally caused the disease.

Date: January 13, 2011 09:40PM

I agree with most of that as poor diet can cause poor health, digestive stress, if your adrenal glands are dysfunctional then taking away dietary allergens are going to make you feel better, if your liver is stressed etc. Taking away the stressors will help you feel better.

In a way most diseases can probably be attributed to a poor diet, lack of immune boosting and antioxidants etc, but there are many with top notch diets that still end up with disease and health conditions that cant be attributed to diet in my opinion, in some cases genetics play a big factor no matter how great diet/lifestyle is.

Date: January 13, 2011 10:20PM

powerlifer, so what you are saying is that having good health is more than having a good diet. I totally agree with this. The two biggest consumers of our energy are digestion and negative emotions(fear and other mental suffering/pain). A better diet can give us more energy because it takes less energy to digest that food (in addition to the various nutrients we receive). But another source of energy loss is negative emotions, which comes from a mind that is more active than it need to to accomplish our daily tasks.

There are many habits that can deplete our body of energy and health, as well as those habits that can create health. Health depleting habits are negative emotions, consuming drugs, bad diet, toxic home environment, etc. Health building habits are getting sunshine, fresh air, clean water, non toxic environment, exercise, loving relationships, mental and emotional balance, etc.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: January 13, 2011 10:27PM

I have copied out your last sentence Prana so that I can read it often and try to improve all those areas of my life - thank you smiling smiley

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: January 14, 2011 04:00AM

And I'm putting those two last sentences on facebook. winking smiley

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 14, 2011 03:51PM

Yeah, Prana, words to live by! Let's pass them around!

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: January 14, 2011 06:21PM

Thank you, everyone. smiling smiley

He does do a day of juice-feasting here or there (weekly? bi-weekly?), so hopefully it does just need a bit of time. I will also check out the book.

Thanks again! <3

Date: January 14, 2011 07:01PM

Look into the herbs like i say yucca root and licorice root, both are great for inflammation and supportive of the adrenal glands.

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: January 15, 2011 12:38AM

powerlifer
Are they supportive or stimulating?

Posted by: The Fruit Faery ()
Date: January 15, 2011 09:23AM

Its been my experience that what Prana has posted is correct.

Most diseases are caused by habits or diet we have that are not in accordance with our body's needs.

Once we take responsibility for our own health, true healing has the opportunity to occur.

Some of us have difficulty taking on board that we are responsible for creating our personal imbalances.
Those of us who can see this, still struggle to make the corrections necessary to enable healing to occur.

We create walls to hide behind and look for quick fixes to fast track our healing process.
Some of these lead to temporary alleviation of symptoms, however if the diet or lifestyle is not focused on, then sooner or later the disease will reappear (usually in a more traumatic form as it has worked itself even deeper into the body) as the cause still remains.

As someone who has repeated the above process several times, my suggestion to anyone who is suffering is to do yourself a favour, start listening to your body and begin taking the steps toward living in acordance with your body's needs.

I find that it is the only 'healing tool' that I actually require in life!

Love peace respect and healing to all on the path.
FFx

Date: January 15, 2011 09:25AM

Healthybun Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> powerlifer
> Are they supportive or stimulating?

Both are supportive, go with chinese licorice as that isnt stimulating, american licorice is slightly stimulating.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables