Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Do herbs go off?
Posted by: WanderRA ()
Date: January 31, 2011 12:11AM

Ive been grinding some herbs in my mortar and pestle, a combination of poppy seeds, hemp seeds, ground basil, ginger, parsley, garlic.. I havent used all of it and its just sitting there in the bowl.

Do i need to be concerned with oxidation when it comes to herbs?

Also is it wise to combine so many herbs in one concoction?

I take a pinch of the mix of the above ingredients and sprinkle it over my salads to give it extra taste.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do herbs go off?
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: January 31, 2011 02:35AM

well, the fats in the seeds can go bad, and the garlic, if its not dried, can go off fast, and dangerously so, as raw garlic has small amounts of botulism present, its not dangerous at all under normal circumstances, but different things done by people, give it plenty of fuel for growth, and in larger amounts it does become dangerous... if its dried garlic, then you should be fine, and your only problem I can see would be the fats in the seeds going rancid, im not sure about the rest of the herbs, but I do know they lose their potency fast in many cases...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 31, 2011 03:56AM

dried herbs over time if not stored properly (cool dark low moisture etc) definitely can lose their potency smiling smiley add the rancidy factor of the seed as mentioned above and well ya .. a less then optimal product smiling smiley if we are just talking days here instead of monthts or years i wouldnt worry too much (except for the fresh garlic wich can go moldy or worse as curator mentioned) grinning smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 31, 2011 02:06PM

That mixture is fine if kept in the fridge and used within a couple of days. I keep whole seeds (nuts and grains too) cool, the oils within stay fresh and healthy longer that way smiling smiley.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: January 31, 2011 02:52PM

if the garlic and parsley are of the dried variety it will last a fair while, much like other ground and herbal powders if cared for usually last around 2-3 years.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 31, 2011 03:42PM

Not the ground hemp though, that needs to be kept in the fridge. Even the whole seeds should be kept in the fridge even if that's not where you keep other seeds. They are very sensitive those wee hemp seeds!

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: January 31, 2011 03:46PM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not the ground hemp though, that needs to be kept
> in the fridge. Even the whole seeds should be kept
> in the fridge even if that's not where you keep
> other seeds. They are very sensitive those wee
> hemp seeds!

This is true, i missed the inclusion of hemp seeds. Must buy some hemp seeds not had them in ages and there quite nice to snack on and in smoothies, salads.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables