Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Has anyone heard about raw protein powder?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: January 26, 2011 04:35AM

This is something I saw on sale at Whole Foods. It is made up of different stuff like sprouts and is supposedly all raw. I cannot recall the brand but you would probably know if you ever go into that dept.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Has anyone heard about raw protein powder?
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 26, 2011 06:31AM

not heard of it .. but its probably better than some of the powders out there smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: January 26, 2011 09:18AM

Sun Warrior... Sprouted, fermented brown rice magic powder or something... seems to me like it's missing the whole point of why raw food works, though. =\

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 26, 2011 09:36AM

why spend so much money on powder
plenty of plant foods u can eat for protein

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: January 26, 2011 10:35AM

There are many raw protein powders such as vega, sunwarrior rice protein powder, some hemp and pumpkin seed protein powders are also raw.

They are very handy if you weight lift and need an extra dose of protein after workout.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 26, 2011 01:31PM

Meh, I would just go for the whole hemp seeds myself. Things start to oxidize when they are ground up. Fresh is best.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: January 26, 2011 01:44PM

I weight lift and don't use protein powders. I recommend real, whole foods that taste good, including enough greens in one's diet.

Date: January 26, 2011 01:54PM

Even consuming well into an excess of calories i was repairing quickly enough as i would on a SAD diet. As soon as i upped the protein post work out i was back repairing optimally.

Protein powder is also quick and easy when i cant get home from the gym quick enough to make a meal. Some fruit post workout would not suffice for me.

Im talking about proper weight lifting here in. Not the usual bicep curls and isolation exercises such that some think means weight lifting. When im deadlifting 100's of kilograms of weight and squating well over 100kg fruit and vegetables just havent cut it for me post workout. I could use nuts but for the amount of protein id also be taking in an unnecessary amount of fat when i could just use a protein powder.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2011 02:00PM by powerlifer.

Date: January 26, 2011 02:54PM

Different strokes, different folks. I properly lift, too, so we at least have that in common. smiling smiley

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 26, 2011 07:21PM

just curious

what is "proper" lifting

sorry about my lack of knowledge in this area

Date: January 26, 2011 07:36PM

la_veronique Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> just curious
>
> what is "proper" lifting
>
> sorry about my lack of knowledge in this area

Making sure the majority of your routine consists of compound exercises which use a number of muscles to execute the movement such as bench press, squat, deadlift, an overhead press, bent over rows to balance out the bench press are the basics of a good routine. Adding in chin/pull-ups, upright dips and other olympic movements more than complete a proper weight lifting routine. There is little to no need for isolation exercises.

You see it all to often people go to the gym and do a couple of sets of bench then spend the next half an hour just doing isolated bicep exercises. This leads to imbalance and often results in injury.

Its also in reference to proper load/volume, such as if your training power/strength you work in the 1-5 repetition range mostly. Hypertrophy is trained around the 8-12 mark usually. You do not go any higher with weights, again you see the rookie mistake people lifting 5kg for 100 reps thinking there doing themselves benefit when all there working is localized endurance of the muscle, endurance is something that shouldn't be trained with weights.

If you wish to train endurance you try to make it as sport specific as possible, i.e if your a boxer train on the heavy/punch bag, sprinter then sprint. Weight lifting is to increase power, strength, various other strength components such as speed-strength and to increase muscle mass.

Im still of the opinion bodybuilding 100% raw is impossible, ive not came across any even remotely big all raw bodybuilder. It is easily achievable vegan thoughsmiling smiley.

hope that helps.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2011 07:43PM by powerlifer.

Date: January 26, 2011 08:45PM

Well, not every weight lifter wants to have a "big" body, FYI. Some of us like to just look damn good and muscular. I'm slim, personally, and not bulky/fatty. It's probably not a good idea to project your own goals onto other people and use them as comparisons. Everyone's different.

I know very few vegans who want to be "big" as opposed to "strong" and "toned" because being "big" has its own health issues associated with it.

Date: January 26, 2011 08:57PM

Utopian Life Wrote:
> Well, not every weight lifter wants to have a
> "big" body, FYI. Some of us like to just look
> damn good and muscular. I'm slim, personally, and
> not bulky/fatty. It's probably not a good idea to
> project your own goals onto other people and use
> them as comparisons. Everyone's different.
>
> I know very few vegans who want to be "big" as
> opposed to "strong" and "toned" because being
> "big" has its own health issues associated with
> it.

Again there all trained the exactly the same way above, only the load and volume changes if you want to train for that good and muscular look. Big comes with food, if you dont take in excess calories you wont grow. If you just maintain calories and do the above youll most likely get a good and muscular look.

And you dont have to be bulky/fatty to be big either, none of the above projected my goals anyway. This is how proper people train, my regards to raw bodybuilding is that most look ill with crazily low bodyfat percentage rather than any decent level of muscle mass which is what bodybuilding is about.

veganbodybuilidng forums has loads who train as bodybuilders, there are literally hundreds of vegans on there that i keep in regular contact with.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2011 09:01PM by powerlifer.

Date: January 26, 2011 11:09PM

Yeah, I have no desire to be big. My body wouldn't take well to what I consider non-food items like powders and dehydrating stuff like grains.

Posted by: klomasius ()
Date: January 27, 2011 01:29AM

I have the Sun Warrior powder, I got it to try it out. I don't use it much, but I might once I kick up the exercise and get off this fast.

You don't NEED protein powder, raw or not, for me it's just another addition to the variety of foods I eat. I employ the 80/20 rule, as long as 80% of my diet is fresh living foods, I can eat raw foods that are bottled/packaged for 20% or less of my diet and still be optimally healthy.

You can try it out, and if it's not for you, don't buy it again!

Date: January 27, 2011 01:51AM

I think what attracts me to this is possibly putting it in smoothies for extra oompth or whatever. I find that protein shakes are very satisfying...Ever had Odwalla or Naked Juice smoothies? I know, they're not raw, but ever had one anyhow?winking smiley They fill me up! And if it was raw, it would be more acceptable to me...

Posted by: klomasius ()
Date: January 27, 2011 02:16AM

Banana who, then you might want to try the raw powders. I like the taste of the sun warrior one, it does add an extra 'oomph' to smoothies, though I don't usually want/need it, my 9 yo (non raw but veg) son seems to love it.

There's actually a lot you can do with the protein besides just smoothies and shakes. You can also add it to solid desserts, or mousse, there's even a raw fudge slice commercially available where I live that tastes delicious and is made from the Sun Warrior protein powder.

The only thing is that the powder is quite expensive, so if you are on a budget and want to get maximum bang for your buck, I'd suggest not getting it. Though it does last for ages (I've had it for about 3 months and am maybe a quarter of the way thru a packet).

Would I buy it again? Maybe, I'm not sure as I don't need it. But my son loves smoothies with it in, and I can't help but feel that's not a bad thing as he's getting a bunch of nutrients from all the things in put in his smoothies.

Once again, you don't NEED these things but just because you don't need a food, doesn't mean you have to go without ENJOYING it. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2011 02:18AM by klomasius.

Date: January 27, 2011 11:24AM

Id disagree when it comes to needing them for bodybuilding purposes but each to there own i guess. No matter how much i was eating post workout same goes for when i was on a SAD diet, one protein shake post workout made all the difference to how fast i repaired. DOMS were almost un-noticeable.

Date: January 28, 2011 01:46AM

Hey you guys, it's this one: [www.amazon.com]

Rave reviews, toosmiling smiley I was just thinking about days when I might want to do juice feasting along with a couple of green smoothiessmiling smiley

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: January 28, 2011 05:31AM

I have been weightlifting for the past few months now and have found that it would be VERY hard to eat 100 plus grams of complete protein per day during heavy training. SO i've found a combo of whole hemp seeds with the raw hemp protein does a full 22 grams of complete protein per smoothie. So it all depends on your training level. I eat tons of veggies, greens, and fruit and nuts seeds. If you have basic activity level then just eat lots of good things. and you will be fine with just seeds and nuts especially hemp seeds. But if you want serious results from serious weight lifting then the powders are wonderful. I just starting using Vega. Designed by a Raw triathlete. I love it. I repair so quick I can work out everyday usually!

The Raw Lion 440 pounds to 225 pounds!

Date: January 28, 2011 09:39AM

So many of these so powders are full of brown rice protein, why do they do that? Very acidic for one thing, I have always thought of it as a cheap filler.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: January 28, 2011 04:54PM

I haven't checked Sun Warrior's price lately. But the last time I checked, Nutribiotic was a more competitive price. Rice protein has generally been cheaper than hemp protein. And at least Nutribiotics is raw, low temp, has about 55 calories and 12 grams of protein. And no it's not a whole food, but when it's necessary for a supplement, it's a good idea to know which ones come closest, cheapest, raw and vegan. For me it's Nutribiotic. [wize.com]. Yes, I know I sound like a commercial, no I don't work for them. But I have used and liked the product. I usually use it as an adjunct to whole food during off weight lifting days to help rebuild.

Paul

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: January 28, 2011 05:18PM

corrected url [www.allhealthtrends.com]

Date: January 28, 2011 05:47PM

coco Wrote:
> So many of these so powders are full of brown rice
> protein, why do they do that? Very acidic for one
> thing, I have always thought of it as a cheap
> filler.

I agree fully rawlion, coco i wouldnt worry too much about the PH of foods the acid/alkaline theory is worse than overblown.

brown rice is used commonly because its one of the cheapest in most cases.

Date: January 28, 2011 05:54PM

Does cheap = good? Is this stuff healthy? Rice is something I don't think of as particularly good for humans.

Date: January 28, 2011 06:16PM

coco Wrote:
> Does cheap = good? Is this stuff healthy? Rice is
> something I don't think of as particularly good
> for humans.

Its a not bad source of protein, its easily available in mass quantities which is why its cheap. Its no really worse than hemp etc.

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: January 29, 2011 08:04AM

I use the hemp protein powder which is co2 super critically extracted from hemp seeds. I feel like that mixed with the hemp seeds helps it assimilate properly. That's my theory at least, and the Nutiva people recomend that on the package. I use vega because it works, and it has a mixed array of protein sources. It also costs 75 bucks for the big tub too though!

The Raw Lion 440 pounds to 225 pounds!

Date: January 29, 2011 12:15PM

Yeah i use vega thrive mainly also probably the best tasting raw protein powder, as you say has a array of different protein sources, plus has all the extras like efas, maca, vitamins minerals, chlorella etc.

it is expensive though like you say.

Date: January 29, 2011 12:47PM

The only experience I have had with Vega was a bf who took it and it gave him wicked gas. Heh.

The thing about taking something with all those extras in it is that we can only really absorb so much at once and super packing tons of stuff into one serving is a waste imo. I tend to go for the more simple, mono type thing. Even in a smoothie we have a max of only a few basic ingredients. I'd take whole hemp for extra protein myself, I'm about to put in an order to Manitoba Harvest for a 5lb tub. I don't work out like a fiend though so my needs are not the same as those who do.

Date: January 29, 2011 01:00PM

Yeah the probiotics that are in it are pretty potent, ive heard alot of people getting gas initially.

I agree re the absorption but i think there isnt enough that would cause any problems and the protein is around the amount that would be digested at once etc.

Wish i had a dehydrator to make my own superfood bars, i wonder if just putting them in the fridge would harden up. Got a vita mix tnc on the way so that should able to blast dates etc. Eating alot of vegas whole food bars at the moment so tasty.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables