Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

WHAT FRUITS/VEGETABLES ARE SPRAYED THE MOST?
Posted by: ShineON ()
Date: July 11, 2006 05:17PM

Organic buying is expensive, I was wondering if those of you who don't eat a 100% organic diet could tell me which fruits/vegetables you don't mind buying conventional and which fruits/vegetables you make sure you buy organic? I hear advocado's are ok conventional but lettuce and such is bad... please help!

Thanks,

Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WHAT FRUITS/VEGETABLES ARE SPRAYED THE MOST?
Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: July 11, 2006 08:49PM

Ok, I don't *know* the details, I just go on what I feel - if I'm buying greens, I will always buy organic (although usually I pick wild ones). I also like to get organic mushrooms.

I hear that strawberries are very heavily sprayed and avocado are not too bad. There is a web site which lists all this but I can't remember it.

Just done a quick search on Google and come up with this:
[www.deliciousorganics.com]

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: July 11, 2006 09:14PM

I would add to the above list that you might consider buying all your nuts and seeds organic. Organic seeds are pretty cheap. Organic nuts are more expensive, but the conventionally grown nuts and seeds have made me REALLY sick a couple of times. Many of the unroasted organic almonds are pasteurized (not raw), and they're very expensive. Organic walnuts taste good and are cheaper.

Best wishes, -Ally

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: July 11, 2006 09:22PM

These links may be helpful:

Produce wallet guide

and

A more detailed list

Wishing you vibrant health

Date: July 11, 2006 09:29PM

Ally - how do U know that the organic almonds r pasteurized & not raw??...
is it maybe just some brands?..not others?...
just wonder as i never heard about that!

LOVE & BLESSINGS, Basia

Posted by: ShineON ()
Date: July 11, 2006 10:59PM

Just found this article, pretty interesting, our friend the advocado seems to be pretty safe to buy conventionally! Yeah! Careful with peaches though.. Sorry for the long post..

* Nectarines had the highest percentage of samples test positive for pesticides (97.3 percent), followed by pears (94.4 percent) and peaches (93.7 percent).
* Nectarines also had the highest likelihood of multiple pesticides on a single sample — 85.3 percent had two or more pesticide residues — followed by peaches (79.9 percent) and cherries (75.8 percent).
* Peaches and raspberries had the most pesticides detected on a single sample with nine pesticides on a single sample, followed by strawberries and apples, where eight pesticides were found on a single sample.
* Peaches had the most pesticides overall with some combination of up to 45 pesticides found on the samples tested, followed by raspberries with 39 pesticides and apples and strawberries, both with 36.

Spinach, celery, potatoes, and sweet bell peppers are the vegetables most likely to expose consumers to pesticides. Among these four vegetables:

* Celery had the highest of percentage of samples test positive for pesticides (94.5 percent), followed by spinach (83.4 percent) and potatoes (79.3 percent).
* Celery also had the highest likelihood of multiple pesticides on a single vegetable (78 percent of samples), followed by spinach (51.8 percent) and sweet bell peppers (48.5 percent).
* Spinach was the vegetable with the most pesticides detected on a single sample (10 found on one sample), followed by celery and sweet bell peppers (both with nine).
* Sweet bell peppers were the vegetable with the most pesticides overall with 39, followed by spinach at 36 and celery and potatoes, both with 29.

Least Contaminated: Consistently Clean

The vegetables least likely to have pesticides on them are sweet corn, avocado, cauliflower, asparagus, onions, peas and broccoli.

* Nearly three-quarters (73 percent) of the pea and broccoli samples had no detectable pesticides. Among the other vegetables on the least-contaminated list, there were no detectable residues on 90 percent or more of the samples.
* Multiple pesticide residues are extremely rare on any of these least contaminated vegetables. Broccoli had the highest likelihood, with a 2.6 percent chance of more than one pesticide when ready to eat. Avocado and corn both had the lowest chance with zero samples containing more than one pesticide when eaten.
* The greatest number of pesticides detected on a single sample of any of these low-pesticide vegetables was three as compared to 10 found on spinach, the most contaminated crop with the most residues.
* Broccoli and onions both had the most pesticides found on a single vegetable crop at up to 17 pesticides but far fewer than the most contaminated vegetable, sweet bell peppers, on which 39 were found.

The five fruits least likely to have pesticide residues on them are pineapples, mangoes, bananas, kiwi and papaya.

* Fewer than 10 percent of pineapple and mango samples had detectable pesticides on them and fewer than one percent of samples had more than one pesticide residue.
* Though 53 percent of bananas had detectable pesticides, multiple residues are rare with only 4.7 percent of samples containing more than one residue. Kiwi and papaya had residues on 23.6 percent and 21.7 percent of samples, respectively, and just 10.4 percent and 5.6 percent of samples, respectively, had multiple pesticide residues.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: July 12, 2006 02:32AM

I can't afford buying organic. sad smiley However, we recently bought a house with a large backyard, and we are planting the fruit trees all over it. smiling smiley

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: vegangoddess ()
Date: July 12, 2006 03:04AM

I think it`s most important to get your greens organic. Then the most sprayed fruits...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables