Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Chewing Our Food
Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: February 13, 2011 12:29AM

It just occured to me - although I've thought about it before - that if we chew our food much better, until it's liquid, we would only have to eat half as much as we do now. I just keep forgetting to do it, and it seems like it takes so much time that the couple times I did try it, I was just too impatient to continue. I guess it would be a good exercise in conscious eating, also. Does anyone have any information or have you tried it yourself with any success?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chewing Our Food
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 13, 2011 12:46AM

BLEND! Swish in the mouth to mix well with saliva of course but blended foods are very easy to digest if you are a lazy chewer. Watch out for deteriorating muscle strength in the jaw if you opt for this though. Chewing is good for your health but hardly any of us do it enough at all, it's true.

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: February 13, 2011 03:15AM

Chewing and Attentive Eating [www.drbass.com]

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: February 13, 2011 11:57AM

I used to be such a lazy chewer and would also mix liquids into meals when on a SAD diet as a kid. Id have chew some food wash it back with soda. No wonder my digestion and health took such a serious hit.

Now i chew until into a paste/liquid and enjoy the flavors of food more in turn.

Date: February 13, 2011 01:32PM

Yes, I also used to drink water when I ate SAD. I was a somewhat conscious eater until a friend of mine said she always read while she ate, and I decided to try it, and now I always have to be reading or online while I eat. It's a terrible habit.

Thanks for the article, madinah. I needed that inspiration. I'm definitely trying it starting today, if I can remember. When I have my green smoothie, I'll just chew each mouthful for a bit.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: February 13, 2011 01:40PM

haha its funny you say that, i cannot eat a meal without reading these days either, it is quite an annoying habit.

Date: February 13, 2011 01:43PM

That's weird you guys.

I sit down to eat with the kids. I have never seen anyone eat so slowly or so quickly at the same time. It's like forever between every bite but eat bite is enormous and gobbled up like a starving animal. I remind them to slow down, take small bites, chew it all well, etc but they never do. Makes me wonder just how we would be eating our food in the wild. Probably like animals do, gulp and go.

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: February 13, 2011 03:46PM

Animals in the wild are eating foods in their natural state with all the enzymes that help digest the food itself according to the Law of Adaptive Secretion of Digestive Enzymes. Our foods are altered, cooked most of the times so we need to add digestive enzymes by chewing it more.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 13, 2011 05:16PM

Primates don't bolt food down, though, and yes, I know were aren't wild animals, but we are closer to laboriously chewing apes than we are to bolt-and-scatter hyenas smiling smiley

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: February 13, 2011 05:18PM

I saw a few minutes of a TV program last night on effective weight loss habits and the portion of the show I saw compared the exact same food prepared two ways: one was cooked and the other was blended with a cup of water to make it into a soup. People felt fuller longer when they had eaten the soup version. It was explained that the stomach with the solid food (with plain water drunk with it) emptied of liquid sooner and left the smaller solids in the stomach to be digested, whereas the soup all stayed longer in the stomach to be digested together making people feel fuller longer.

It didn't look like a formal scientific study, though. Just inteeresting.

My favorite raw vegan

Date: February 13, 2011 06:30PM

Tam, I swear I live with the hyenas. People have always given me grief over how long I take to eat but I like to TASTE things. I don't know where my kids get this speediness at the table, it certainly isn't from me!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: February 13, 2011 06:57PM

i think chewing is really important .. without building up lots of bacteria fighting saliva .. you leave your teeth open to decay .. saliva helps slow down tooth decay

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: BackAgain ()
Date: February 14, 2011 01:25AM

Personally, I don't feel like sitting or standing there for 2 hours multiple times a day just to eat a few pieces of fruit or salad. I have better things to do. I could see if you're a couch potato who watches TV 9 hours a day and chew while you watch.. but I'm not.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: February 14, 2011 01:54AM

you dont need to be a couch potato or sit for hours at a time to be concious about what you are eating .. im not sure how you came to conclusion that you need to do that!

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: February 14, 2011 02:25AM

Well, I totally forgot to be a conscious eater all day today. Better luck tomorrow...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables