Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Question for BRYAN
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 11, 2006 05:24PM

Hey Bryan,

Please would you tell me what you think about the use of probiotics?

I've been going through a heavy detox and thought taking probiotics might be of some help. I took 4 or five capsules, maybe more, over a 24 hour period, and it SEEMED to clog me up. Any ideas what that's about?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question for BRYAN
Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: July 12, 2006 02:30AM

I would be interested in hearing your opinion too. When I first went raw, I was giving my son some probiotic drinks, for a couple of weeks, and that changed his bad breath to normal. But this did not last. However, I noticed that thanks to raw food diet, he has improved, and recently, since going all-raw, he is even better. His breath is nice and fruitty. So, my guess is that probiotics may help temporarily, but only removing the cause (in the diet) can have the ever-lasting effect.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: July 12, 2006 11:34PM

bump winking smiley

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: July 13, 2006 01:15AM

Michele,

It sounds like the probiotic you used upset the balance of your digestive process. What kind of probiotic were you using? Was it a powered or capsule form, or was it a fermented product like rejuvelac? The tartness in fermented products comes from acetic acid, that according to the hygienists causes digestion or absorption to be halted. The body doesn't really like acetic acid (even though we love the acidic taste of vinegar) and the body won't absorb foods that contain acetic acid.

In general it is hard for a probiotic manufacturer to know what exact balance of probiotics you use, thus its easy for an imbalance to develop.

Its better to look at why your body needs probiotics and to remove the causes of the flora death, rather than being addicted to probiotics for having good digestion. Did you have something happen to your body where you thought your flora was dead (say like taking pharmaceutical antibiotics)?

Given the nature of your heavy detox, have you been taking other herbs or substances known for the healing or medicinal qualities? Any of these kinds of medicinal like substances, even if they are a foodstuff or some kind of plant, can wreak havoc with digestion.

Date: July 13, 2006 06:58PM

Thanks, Bryan. I took something called Tribiotic (in capsule form). I don't believe I'll take it again. I just thought maybe it would help, but I don't think it did. Interesting about the acetic acid too.

Thanks for your comments!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables