Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Nutritional yeast and maple syrup?
Posted by: thatoneguy ()
Date: January 20, 2009 12:00AM

I keep seeing nutritional yeast and pure maple syrup in raw recipes, even though these aren't raw.

I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to use nutritional yeast and maple syrup when I go raw. There's a part of me that doesn't want to simply because they aren't raw. But, on the other hand, I'm not opposed to using spices (powder). I almost look at nutritional yeast as a cheesy flavored spice.

I'm also not opposed to using other things that aren't "technically raw" like agave (from what I've found, even the kind marked raw aren't truly raw) so I almost want to say as long as it's organic pure maple syrup it's okay. I'm not sure if I'm okay with using frozen veggies since they are heated before freezing. I suppose if I were running low on money and in a tight situation I would.

There's a part of me that doesn't want to use things that aren't truly raw, but at the same time I don't want to be dogmatic.

So, do you use nutritional yeast and maple syrup? and why or why not. If you do, are you considered high raw or can you just get by with saying raw?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2009 12:13AM by thatoneguy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nutritional yeast and maple syrup?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 20, 2009 12:05AM

thatoneguy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you use these are you still considered a raw
> foodist?

Does the label matter?

Date: January 20, 2009 12:11AM

> Does the label matter?

I'm more concerned with why raw foodists use these when they aren't raw and if I should, too.

I would like to know what to call myself, too, though.

Posted by: tglasco4 ()
Date: January 20, 2009 01:00AM

i used to use these when i first went raw and then i outgrew them. i would suggest that you don't worry about it and seek to eat as much raw fruits and veggies as possible. If nutritional yeast and maple syrup help you with that then go for it. If you stay with it eventually you will stop using them anyways.

Peace.

todd

Date: January 20, 2009 02:51AM

thatoneguy Wrote:
> I'm more concerned with why raw foodists use these
> when they aren't raw and if I should, too.

Because they're full of nutrition (well nutritional yeast anyway, I don't use maple syrup). Nutritional yeast is a good source of protein & b-vitamins & beats taking a supplement.

>
> I would like to know what to call myself, too,
> though.

Your given name? winking smiley

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 20, 2009 02:57AM

[Nutritional yeast is a good source of protein & b-vitamins & beats taking a supplement. ]

Some of the vitamins in nutritional yeast are indeed supplements, typically they have added niacin (B3), thiamin hydrochloride (B1), riboflavin (B2), pyridoxine hydrochloride (B6), and B12.

But people for some reason will prefer to pay more for flakes than less for the same thing packaged in a bottle.

Date: January 20, 2009 03:19AM

tglasco4, thanks for the input! I'm still going to use them now in my transition period. I guess I'll just have to see how I feel about them once I go raw.

communitybuilder and arugula, I never thought about nutritional yeast as a supplement! That is a good way to look at it because I'm not opposed to using things like spirulina powder.

Date: January 20, 2009 03:25AM

TTG, I have nothing against supplements if used prudently, and I do use supplemental B12 and D2.

But I can't find any reason to take any other supplements--I can get everything else needed most assuredly from my food. With B12 and D that is not a certainty so I supplement.

I don't take superfoods, unless you consider my 8 or more cups of greens per day to be superfoods. They are certainly superexpensive when you consider the cost per calorie but I am not going to give them up unless my income drops drastically.

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: January 20, 2009 06:21AM

Hi thatoneguy

I've been raw for two years and have never used nutritional yeast or maple syrup. No, they're not remotely raw.

It's a pity that some chefs feel the need to use these, as many raw foodists have demonstrated that it's very easy to make delicious raw food dishes using raw ingredients. Chris and Zoe at purelyraw.com, for example. And me!

Nutritional yeast is used to give a 'cheesy' flavour. To me, it is pointless to discuss the 'benefits' of 'nutritional' yeast, as, after all, why not then discuss the 'benefits' of all sorts of cooked foods?. But, as you say, thatoneguy, it simply isn't raw! The problem with continually using this stuff is that real 'nut cheeses', to the palate accustomed with non-raw nut cheeses (ie those using NY) will fall short.

Maple syrup is a processed syrup, which is hardly any better for us than white sugar (no matter what its manufacturers may tell you), and, again, isn't raw.

I strongly recommend you avoid nutritional yeast, maple syrup, nama shoyu (salty liquid made from rotting cooked soy and wheat), etc, as none of these are raw and in my opinion make it harder for people to transition to raw food rather than easier, as they pervert the palate, ie mask the tastes of the raw food so that recipes without these ingredients seem 'bland'.

I live for the day that one of the 'big name' raw chefs has the confidence and bravery to kick these non-raw ingredients out of their recipes.

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: January 20, 2009 06:39AM

PS

If you scroll down this page you can see pics of some of the raw transition dishes that somehow I've managed to make using all raw ingredients.

[www.rawforlife.co.uk]

Date: January 20, 2009 11:54AM

debbietook, thanks for the info! I've asked this on other forums and so far you're the only one who is 100% against nutritional yeast and maple syrup. Thanks for your answer, this gives me something to think about.

That food looks so good! I favorited the site.

As I transition I'll probably try to stop using them. I'll just have to see.

Posted by: tglasco4 ()
Date: January 20, 2009 03:34PM

As I transition I'll probably try to stop using them. I'll just have to see.

This is the key friend. Don't let other's convictions steer you from what works for you. Whether or not the questioned items are raw is not as important as drastically increasing your intake of truly raw foods (i.e. fruits and vegetables). Allow yourself to do that first, if you choose to go 100% raw, then go for it. Let your own body speak to you and follow what it says then you will be fine in the long run.

Of course there are many delicious dishes that can be made 100% raw and as your journey progresses you will always be discovering new things. But don't get derailed off the path trying to fit into a mold. This has caused many to try raw and then give it up to their own detriment. i don't want that to happen to you, but rather, it would be nice to see you grow in health and experience over time. Develop, progress and advance as your body, mind and experience dictate.

Grace and Peace be multiplied unto you.

todd

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: January 20, 2009 03:58PM

thatoneguy

There's a part of me that doesn't want to use things that aren't truly raw, but at the same time I don't want to be dogmatic.

IMO doing compromised raw yields compromised results.

Date: January 21, 2009 02:30AM

arugula Wrote:
> But people for some reason will prefer to pay more
> for flakes than less for the same thing packaged
> in a bottle.

Not need to be snippy. They also taste good, can be used in recipes & have a large amount of protein (well for vegans anyway). Beats taking a pill.

Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: January 21, 2009 08:34PM

I find it easiest to stay raw and enjoy myself by including these and other questionably raw ingredients. I don't want my life to be about a constant strive for better health and perfection, I've gone that road in raw food and I'm much happier with a less strict stance on things. In my opinion including nutritional yeast and maple syrup (on rare occasions) makes it easier for me to stay raw over the long term.

Sunflower
Raw Food Chef and Writer
Comfortably Raw
[www.comfortablyraw.com]

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: January 21, 2009 10:22PM

Considering a raw foodist eats 75-80% OR MORE IF THEY CHOOSE raw, you're fine. Do what you like. smiling smiley

Date: January 21, 2009 10:30PM

communitybuilder Wrote:
> arugula Wrote:
>
> Not need to be snippy.

Boy, yesterday and the day before were my day to get lots of
"comments."

Maybe I should take a break from all discussion fora for a while.

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: January 21, 2009 11:15PM

arugula said: "Maybe I should take a break from all discussion for a while."

NOOOOO!!!!!

I think there are some super sensitive people around here. Or super arrogant. I'm not sure which. But anyway... I didn't think you were being snippy, just direct.

Hang in there.

Date: January 22, 2009 01:31AM

arugula Wrote:
> communitybuilder Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > arugula Wrote:
> >
> > Not need to be snippy.
>
> Boy, yesterday and the day before were my day to
> get lots of
> "comments."
>
> Maybe I should take a break from all discussion
> fora for a while.

Oh come on argula, you know we love you. Don't go. sad smiley

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: January 25, 2009 06:13AM

Arugula should stay! I don't know why people are getting so defensive. Everything is fine.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables