Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Wheatgrass detox effect!
Date: February 26, 2011 10:05PM

Since Christmas, I've been barely raw and I've been trying to get back into it for the last few weeks. I've been having a few shots of fresh wheatgrass here and there, and it seems to be really upsetting my stomach (diahorrea). I've never had a problem with it before, yet all of a sudden I seem to be getting this horrible side effect. Maybe it's detox as my diet has been sucky this winter? Any thoughts/experiences would be appreciated smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wheatgrass detox effect!
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: February 26, 2011 10:27PM

I wouldnt suggest your diet is the cause wheatgrass can cause this increasing fruits, vegetables, seeds, nuts and seaweeds will help.

wheatgrass can really upset some individuals. I get on fine with it but my friend ends up nauseous and vomiting.

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: February 26, 2011 11:11PM

If I was getting back into raw food, I would not start with wheatgrass, I would rather go with more fruits, more raw juices first for few weeks before drinking wheatgrass because it can be a very hard cleanser.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: February 28, 2011 11:11AM

You see, Wheatgrass Juice and Fruit just don't mix. You have to be committed to one or the other. I feel a high-fruit diet is not best for me. It's too much Sugar for my nerves. I'm putting my money on Green Smoothies (with a small amount of fruit) and Wheatgrass Juice.
Go with your feelings.
Let the Games begin.....WY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2011 11:13AM by Wheatgrass Yogi.

Date: February 28, 2011 11:21AM

I love wheatgrass although the taste to me is vile, i used to start off every day with a shot or two of fresh wheatgrass.

The funny bit is ive noticed more benefits from the powder than the fresh. Not the cheap chinese wheatgrass though proper new zealand wheatgrass. But there both good. Plus at times i had problems with mould often when growing batches of wheatgrass.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 28, 2011 03:59PM

I am endlessly confused by people who say wheatgrass tastes bad. I think it tastes clean and sweet; is it just me?

No one knows why wheatgrass is handled differently by everyone, though theories abound. I believe it is a potent medicinal substance, and that, when getting back to raw, it might be better to start out with raw vegetables and fruits, simply prepared, and to work your way back up to wheatgrass. Good luck!

Date: February 28, 2011 04:24PM

I would agree its quite a potent detoxifier and rebuilder, i also know some that just cant tolerate it in fresh form at all for whatever reason and its not because they have any health issue or toxic as there in a great state of health.

But yeah the taste is vile haha, it got to the point where i would gag trying to put it over, luckily the powder is sweeter and i can tolerate that and get good if not better effects anyway.

Only one other food makes me gag in a similar way even thinking about it, is wakame seaweed. Slimey and eww lol.

Date: February 28, 2011 09:20PM

Thanks for all the replies smiling smiley I've been eating more veg (both raw and steamed) and lots and lots of salad, but not very much fruit. I used to quite like the fresh taste of wheatgrass, but the last few times I've had it from the juice bar, it has tasted quite, uh, overpowering, and not very nice. Maybe their wheatgrass has been left out too long. It looks okay, but given the juicebar is inside a shopping centre with no real natural light, it's a wonder that it grows!

I'll think I'll have a break for a while, and if I do go back onto it, it'll be grass that I've grown at home.

I think the biggest gross-out is shots of spirulina. OMG. Euwww!!!!

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: February 28, 2011 09:38PM

I love wheatgrass, its strange for me, cause its both sweet and delicately grassy, yet somehow also really strong... but I handle it fine with no issues and love the taste...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables