Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Healthy Skin & Raw Food Diet Experiment
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 21, 2011 01:07AM

I've heard so much about everyones skin clearing up, taking on healthy glow, becoming smoother and aquiring a more even tone on the raw food diet.
I propose to do nothing but continue my current maintnence for my skin, and encorporate steadily more and more raw foods until I am at 100% raw, and see what the effects are on my skin.
Currently, I consider my skin to be neither amazing nor terrible. Average skin.It has red patches, a few old scars and red marks, small blackheads, and does not look good under florescent lighting.
The texture is subpar, and sometimes looks scaly. Of course no one else can see these things, but I can, and am not happy with them. I've had quite a history with my skin.
For the last while I have been using only water and aloe vera on my skin. Wash with water in the morning, dab aloe on. Rinse in the evening with water, slater a larger amount of the aloe on.
This seems to work well for me, it calms my skin and seems to be reducing the redness slowly.
While conducting this experiment, I will be trying my utmost not to rub at my skin, as I have a tendancy to do when the texture feels grainy.
My diet as of now consists of fruits, vegatables, grains such as rice, kamut, rye, and wheat, lentils, blackbeans, and the occassional chocolate. Pretty much a vegan diet.
I will update as often as possible, and will be upping my consumption of raw each day.
Let's see how this goes shall we?

Any advice and support appreciated!
If anyone wants to join in with me, go for it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Healthy Skin & Raw Food Diet Experiment
Posted by: madinah ()
Date: February 21, 2011 01:37AM

Cucumber juice on the skin is the best skin cleanser [www.disabled-world.com]

Date: February 21, 2011 01:53AM

Do you just remove the peel and juice it?
Perhaps I will integrate that into my routine.

Date: February 21, 2011 02:13AM

I do not juice, I blend cucumber skin on with lemon juice and use it on my face overnight. Some night I use potato juice but for 30 minutes before washing it off.
I do face massage and skin brushing. I do not look my age at all according to many.

[www.pioneerthinking.com]

Tonya Zavasta the author of quantum eating has beauty products but I prefer to go entirely raw for things on my face.

[www.beautifulonraw.com]

Date: February 21, 2011 02:27AM

Thank you for your imput. I'd love to try it. I'm also of the vein of not using anything on my skin that I wouldn't eat.

Date: February 21, 2011 03:21AM

It is funny but I make potato juice about twice a week, it is very efficient in clearing digestive disorders. After making the juice I will drink some and leave some aside for my face. Internal and external treatments.

Posted by: novice17 ()
Date: February 21, 2011 10:11AM

thanks for the tricks ladies! smiling smiley

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 21, 2011 03:30PM

Good luck! This is exciting!

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: February 21, 2011 09:16PM

Exfoliate the dead skin cells off, and a lot of those problem areas including some wrinkles, blackheads, etc..will soon fade or go away completely. I use and have been using for a number of years the bath gloves that are for that purpose. I get compliments on my facial skin often. I don't use any kind of lotions, but I do use a little bit of natural oils sometimes..but after I put some on I take most of it off. I have been using grapeseed oil or coconut oil.

I exfoliate using some kind of soap..natural soap to help the gloves glide better.

Love,
Prism

Date: February 22, 2011 05:42PM

The first day of this experiment has passed, so I will give you all a run down.
I mentioned in my earlier post that I've been a vegan for awhile now.
Last night we had a staff party at the bowling alley with them providing the food.
Lo and behold, they had pizza. I hate pizza, but my boyfriend convinced me that for this experiment I should start off eating a 'normal' diet and improve it from there. I was game to try it out, especially to see how I felt after, so I had 3 slices of pizza; one cheese, one pepperoni, and one ham and pineapple. Even when I was not a vegan I would never have eaten these.
Almost immediately after finishing I felt nauseous. I tried to suck it up but found myself running back and forth to the bathroom. I finally threw up and felt better. Lesson learned, my body is quite happy without those foods.

My skin today is looking blotchy and unhappy. Today I stay home and incorporate many more raw foods.

Yesterday I ate: 2 Bananas, 1 green drink consisting of; passionfruit, plums, bananas, lemon apple juice, kelp, & stinging nettle, 1 avacado, 2 slices of rye bread and enough organic peanut butter to cover them, and the 3 slices of pizza.

Cheers!
Hope everyone understands my deviation from my initial plan,
it ended up serving me well as I now have a better understanding as to exactly what my body does not like!

Date: February 23, 2011 03:58PM

Day 2 Down, today will be my third day! I woke up this morning with my skin glowing. This is a good sign.

Yesterday I ate 3 bananas, 2 apples, a couple handfulls of blueberries, organic granola consisting of organic whole grains, oats, cashews, almonds, coconut, cranberries, raisins, dates and honey in rice milk. I ate a spinach salad wrap, a portion of handmade scone baked by my grama, whole wheats, sunflower seeds, and other things, and a lot of chamomile tea. I would imagine I drank about 5 glasses of water, I'll try to get 8+ today!

Thanks for baring with me.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: February 23, 2011 09:21PM

You are doing great. Instead of adding more water try adding more juicy fruits daily as they contain lots of water and they can replace some of the drier items you listed.

Love,
Prism

Date: February 24, 2011 05:45AM

Thank you so much for the encouragement!
I think I'm done eating for the evening, so here is my third day's log:
I made raw brownies with raw icing today, and they may just be the best brownies I've ever had. My boyfriend and my mom both confirmed this. I'll pass along the recipe in case anyone is interested.

To make the brownies:

2 cups of (soaked first) organic almonds
1 pound of organic dates
4 teaspoons of organic cacao
1 spoonful of manuka honey
2 lids of organic vanilla

Blend the almonds in a food processor until smooth, then add all of the other ingredients. Blend until it starts to ball up. Dump it out into a brownie pan and pat flat. Put it into the freezer for about an hour to firm up. If you want to add the icing, you could do so before or after the freezer.

Icing:
2 tablespoons of extra virgin coconut oil
2 tablespoons of organic cacao
3 lids of organic vanilla
water to thin
manuka honey to sweeten

You can just blend them all in a bowl, making more or less depending on how thick you'd like your icing. I'm not big on precise measurements, but you should be able to guage how it will turn out. Just keep taste testing! smiling smiley
You can top with walnuts if you like, that's what I did.

So, what else did I eat? I ate 3 bananas, 3 apples, a couple handfuls of blueberries, a mango, a thick hearty lentil soup containing lentils and carrots and all sorts of lovely organic goodness, 3 dalmantheses, and a spinach salad.

My skin is very smooth today, not necessarily much nicer in terms of redness but it feels different. My boy thought it looked glowy.
Cheers all!

Date: February 25, 2011 05:37AM

Today I was flat on my back sick. I was aching and feverish, and didn't move off of the couch for 7 hours. I slept a lot, and didn't feel too inspired to eat anything.
I ate 2 oranges for breakfast, a whole bunch of orange juice, a lot of herbal tea, a few bites of oatmeal and a spinach wrap. I'm just preparing some rice right now, and I plan to head to bed after that. My wonderful little sister took care of me all day.
My skin? I didn't even look that closely at it today, it looks more even in colour.
Cheers all

Date: February 25, 2011 09:28AM

Maybe you should take before and after pictures of the expirement

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 25, 2011 03:01PM

4frida,

Get well soon!

Date: March 01, 2011 03:58AM

Hi Guys, sorry I haven't checked in in a few, I've been pretty sick.
I've basically only eaten orange juice, apples, and bananas with a few exceptions;
a soup, a melon, a couple of bowls of rice, and some black beans.
This morning I had a great smoothie: blackberries, huckleberries, blueberries, a banana, an avocado, and orange juice.
It's not exactly as raw as I would have liked by now, but I did pretty well for being as sick as I was.
Thank you for your well wishes! I'm almost back to well again.
Before and after pictures? I'd rather not post myself on the internet, and I don't want to discourage myself, as I get really insecure when faced with my skin up close. Sorry!
My little sister says ello! She's just decided today that she'd like to stop drinking milk, hurrah.

Date: March 01, 2011 04:00AM

Oh goodness, I forgot to write about my skin!
It's healing really well, probably because I've left it almost entirely alone since I've gotten sick. It looks really well toned all over.
Cheers

Date: March 02, 2011 06:21PM

Yesterday morning I had a fruit smoothie: 2 bananas, an avocado, a bunch of berries; blueberry, huckleberry and blackberry, and flax seeds. It was wonderful. I had an apple. I tried to get down a veggie sandwich; artichokes, lettuce, sundried tomatoes, tomatoes, onion, pickle, but they put a lot of mayonnaise on it and it was really thick bread and my stomache hated it, and it ended up coming back up....

So I haven't gotten to where I'd like to be just yet with raw but I've been pretty unwell.

My skin looks amazing though! It's healing really well and looks surprisingly even toned.
(This could also just be from leaving it alone)

I'll continue to let you know,
thanks guys!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables