Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Least offensive grains?
Posted by: Jonathan Barlow ()
Date: March 04, 2011 04:45PM

I'm going through a gradual process of removing addictive and harmful substances from my diet in an effort to transition to raw. I've been off caffeine and animal products for a few weeks and feel a bit better. I've just recently become aware of the existence and effects of opioids in gluten, so I cut gluten a few days ago and I am hopeful that will make a difference for me. I'll say that my psychological state has been a bit of an issue for most of my life, and moreso over the past few years.

So my question is, how do other grains compare to the "gluten grains" in terms of opioids, addictiveness, pychological effects, and other health effects? Basically, am I any better off eating rice, quinoa, and corn products than I would be eating wheat and other gluten products?

I've also wondered about sprouts, as I have a large bag of mixed sprouting grains, mostly with gluten grains. Some say that the gluten is reduced by sprouting, but I'm not sure I want to test the theory. I suppose it would be safer to stick to seeds, nuts, and non-gluten grains for sprouting in any case.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Least offensive grains?
Posted by: omega-3 ()
Date: March 04, 2011 04:51PM

"am I any better off eating rice, quinoa, and corn products than I would be eating wheat and other gluten products?"

I say definitely. Quinoa is good stuff, and you can sprout it Buckwheat, too. I know that those are the two grain-like things that the Gabriel Cousens crowd recommends. I personally like sprouted buckwheat a lot.

Date: March 04, 2011 04:54PM

Thank you, I do have a big bag of buckwheat to sprout. I'll give that a try first. And I enjoyed scarfing down some "quinoa pasta" the other day, though the first ingredient was actually corn, and it didn't say "no gmo". sad smiley

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: March 04, 2011 05:15PM

Jonathan,

I've done a few queries on your question about sprouting and reduced gluten. The majority of the sites I've been to suggest that sprouting does reduce gluten (a storage protein) by breaking it down into smaller amino acids/peptides. However, the process is not complete and some gluten residual remains. That said, people who are gluten intolerant have reported some success eating Ezekial sprouted bread (not raw). [www.celiac.com] Dr. Fuhrman has said that the more sprouted a grain is, the less starch it has and the more it takes on the characteristic of plant it is growing into, which makes sense. Best of luck on the buckwheat and quinoa. Consider adding wild rice, black rice and amaranth to your list to experiment with. Best.

Paul

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 04, 2011 05:31PM

Amranth can be sprouted too but it's such a teeny weeny little bitty seed that they can get lost quite easily. Use a piece of nylon stocking over the mouth of a sprouting jar for that one.

Wild rice isn't raw, it is steamed as part of the processing. Just FYI.

Date: March 04, 2011 05:47PM

Thanks paul and coco, I did used to enjoy sprouting lundberg wehani rice. I remember it tasted good, but was very tough and required some heat to sprout.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2011 05:48PM by Jonathan Barlow.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 04, 2011 08:44PM

Pseudo-grains are not known to be addictive, the way glutinous grains can be, so give them a go. Steamed or sprouted quinoa, not just white, but red and black(which have differing minerals) can be a very nutritious and satisfying substitute. Sprouted quinoa, in my experience, spoils quickly, so be careful. Teff and amaranth, as coco mentions, are teensy fairies of grains and can be difficult to sprout; a linen tea towel or commercial cheesecloth is a must for rinsing, or you will end up with what feels like glass dust on your kitchen floor or counter--maddening to clean up! I haven't had sprouted buckwheat in a while, but I used to make the crunchiest dehydrated raw granola with it. Will have to pull out the ol' Excalibur and give it another try one of these days smiling smiley

Date: March 07, 2011 08:40PM

Thanks Tamukha! I never knew there were varieties of quinoa. I'm eager to try them now. smiling smiley I've tried a lot of sprouting over the years with varying success. Sadly, I found that sprouted wheat and barley (high gluten) were my high favorites. I like the taste of most nuts also. Most seeds are neutral to me, and I'm plain grossed out by sprouted legumes. The seeds (including pseudograins) are probably the healthiest of sprouts. So I should try to find some creative ways of working them into my diet. I can't chew and swallow too much plain.

I use the "easy sprout" promoted by the sprout people, and it really does take a lot of the time and frustration out of sprouting. It has a removable grate for tiny seeds like quinoa. Makes it a breeze! smiling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 07, 2011 11:01PM

Have you tried lentils? They are so nice sprouted. Other beans not so much for me.

Date: March 08, 2011 06:58PM

hmmm... I've had them before but as I recall I didn't like them...

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: March 08, 2011 07:15PM

then black barley and red rice it is!! lol

[www.purcellmountainfarms.com]

Paul

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables