Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Diatomaceous earth experience?
Posted by: PatchMomma ()
Date: February 14, 2011 11:37PM

Just wondering if anyone out there has used diatomaceous earth before. My husband researched it a bit and found all sorts of good things about it but we've never heard of anyone taking it before.

We've got a 50lb bag (food grade) we've been using for our animals but since our lifestyle change we're selling off our livestock and will have tons of it left. Figure we might as well use it if it's beneficial. It's worked to keep our chickens and goats nice and healthy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Diatomaceous earth experience?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 14, 2011 11:45PM

I've only ever used it in the past for insect control but I think Powerlifer has mentioned it before. It's hard to wrap my head around eating what I've always thought of as cockroach control dust tongue sticking out smiley.

Posted by: MY*ID ()
Date: February 15, 2011 01:40AM

I purchased some from www.earthworkshealth.com after a relative started taking it internally and had great results. Within two weeks, my nails became much harder and stronger. I keep forgetting to take it, but my experience with it has been good. Also, during the summer, my dog got fleas and I rubbed it all over him for a natural treatment and it worked 100%---no drugs needed! It IS cockroach control dust! smiling smiley (And fleas too)

Anyone else looking into it........always be sure to look for FOOD GRADE!

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: February 15, 2011 09:54AM

DE is a great supplement, silica is pretty poorly absorbed and extra is a good idea especially as you age. Stomach acid lowers as we age which is why disorders such as osteoporosis can occur. Bitters on the back of the tongue help increase stomach acid.

Silica is essential for skin, hair, nails, connective tissue etc aswell as DE acts as a natural intestinal parasite cleanser.

Date: February 15, 2011 01:06PM

Ok, how exactly do you take it though? I'm game but Ugh, eating dirt tongue sticking out smiley.

Date: February 15, 2011 01:10PM

It just takes like cloudy water in my opinion. You add it to your water coco, its cheap as chips, you can even ration it further by just retopping up the cloudy DE water.

1 tablespoon per quart of water if i remember.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: February 15, 2011 04:06PM

Oh gosh.
We used it for years in our swimming pool filter.
Had to pour a can full of it into the skimmer after every backwash.
And on windy days it went everywhere.

Vinny

Date: March 10, 2011 02:11AM

I first purchased it for the garden, then read about using it for/on pets, then talked to someone who takes it and heard about all the good things it can do. So...now both my mom and I have been taking it for about a month and a half. My mom has noticed more energy and has lost weight along with healthier nails, I have noticed my hair growing faster (though it seems to get oily if I don't wash it every day so wonder what that is about?) my nails are harder, it's like having a shot of espresso in the morning and I am very clear headed when I used to get these brain fogs and crash if I didn't have coffee or eat every couple hours. Also, I have noticed my skin maybe seems younger? The smile lines around my mouth are smoother. You do have to make sure you drink lots of water so you don't get constipated with DE, and it works best to take it in the morning or early on an empty stomach so it wont absorb nutrients and pass them out so you can't use them. I have talked to some who started taking it at night before realizing that the DE was keeping them awake (since it gives you energy/clear head). Make sure you get the food grade, not the stuff they use in pool filters or other bug killers. I got mine at a natural garden shop and asked them if it was specifically food grade.

Date: March 10, 2011 09:57AM

DE wont interfere with absorption of nutrients so you don't need to worry about that and yeah your right make sure its food grade.

The reason its so great for skin, hair and nails is because silica is one of the most important nutrients when it comes to the above.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables