Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Are You a Fruit or a Fat Person? No pun intended..
Posted by: ShineON ()
Date: July 12, 2006 05:08PM

Just trying to figure out what the majority of people on these boards focus on.

Fruits are making me spacey, unable to concentrate. Maybe it's just a matter of getting used to the 80% fruit diet.

Do the majority of people focus on fruits as their main source of calories?

Does anyone focus on a non fruit based diet and if so where do you get your daily calories from?

Does anyone else have a problem with getting spacey after eating a bunch of fruit?

Does this go away!? smiling smiley

Thanks all,

Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Are You a Fruit or a Fat Person? No pun intended..
Posted by: luna_sky_1 ()
Date: July 12, 2006 05:54PM

I'm a 90% salad 5%nuts and seeds and 5% fruit person. the only time I eat fruit is for breakfast. the rest of my meals are salad/veggie based and my snacks are usually seeds and nuts. I'm not really much of a fruit person, I guess. It's not hard to get full and find your daily calories with veggies and nuts and seeds.

Posted by: rawblue ()
Date: July 12, 2006 05:54PM

I probably eat about 40% of my calories as fat (nuts, oils, avacados)
Then about 40% from fruit, about 20% from veggies (mostly greens)

I periodically cut my fat intake to 5-10% for 3-7 days at a time to promote weight loss. I am definately more light headed during those times (and crabbier too! smiling smiley

Best to you in your journey

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 12, 2006 06:12PM

I eat a few pieces of fruit every day. I tried the high fruit diet and became sick.

I follow the diets recommended by doctors and health professionals:

Dr. Ann Wigmore, Viktoras Kulvinskas, Brian Clement, Dr. Gabriel Cousens, Dr. David Jubb, Peter Ragnar, and others.

They all recommend a raw vegan diet lower in fruits, around 15% to 25% fat.

Date: July 12, 2006 07:20PM

Thanks all for your input.. But as a athletic male, my calorie intake needs to exceed 2500 calories per day. If I'm getting these on a non fruit based diet, where are the calories coming from. If I'm not eating alot of fruit, I'm eating alot of fat no? And fat, even from advocados in excess is not good for you from what I'm reading. Mike, Rawblue, and luna, could you give me a sample day of meals for me?

Peace,

Jeff

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: July 12, 2006 07:36PM

Hi Jeff

Just to give the other side, I eat a high fruit diet with lots of greens and some fats. I don't work out percentages, but here's an idea of what I eat:

fruit for breakfast
fruit for lunch
large salad with lots of wild greens (about 150 grams), a large avocado and a couple of tablespoons of flax oil and some veggies, celery, spring onion, red pepper,carrot, etc for dinner

Snacks - fruit, dried fruits, nuts, seeds - I often make a mix up of soaked hemp seeds, soaked sunflower seeds, goji berries, currants, raw cacao.

I'm very active, I walk at least a couple of miles every day, 2 or 3 days a week I'll walk 10 miles.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Date: July 12, 2006 07:44PM

well, i eat instinctively, whatever my body/system calls for
soooo
about half & half fruits & vegies
each one eaten with just a bit of nuts/seeds/avo/coconut or it's butter
that's what my digestion is comfortable with, for now...

LOVE & BLESSINGS, Basia

Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: July 12, 2006 09:56PM

If you are starting being raw, then you may be going through a period of detox. That may be why you feel the way you do after meals.

I don't eat too much fat. It makes me tired. I eat fats with my evening meals.
I like fruit in the morning.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 12, 2006 10:10PM

Opinions:

Ha! ha! I'll defend fruit a little.....

-If you feel spacey.....go back to the highest diet that you ARE comfortable with....and work fruit very SLOWLY into it....if that's what you want to do. Not exactly fair to jump in the deep end of the pool and worry about the water being too deep! Never test the deepest waters with both feet! Ha! Been dying to work that into a conversation! LOL.

-David Mason

Date: July 12, 2006 10:24PM

> If I'm not eating alot of fruit, I'm eating alot of fat no?

No, not necessarily. It depends on which diet you are following. Brian Clement and Gabriel Cousens recommend around 70% to 80% carbs and only a few pieces of fruit a day.

Many people have problems with high sugar diets and are borderline hypoglycemia or diabetic. We are fed soda pop, kool aid, candy, high fructose corn syrup, white bread / rice, and other high glycemic foods from age 1 to the present day. Healing from the years of dietary abuse is much slower when eating a high sugar diet.

People such as Clement, Cousens, and Dr. Robert O. Young found that their patients would not completely heal if there is sugar in the diet because sugar is the mail fuel for many diseases, including fungus, cancer, diabetes, hypoglycemia, yeast, etc...

This is a good audio by Clement: [www.hippocratesinst.com]

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: July 12, 2006 10:36PM

I eat fruit in the morning, in the afternoon, and a salad or young coconuts in the evening. No, no fealings of spaciness at all, on the contrary.

In my first year of raw I ate more fats and then gradually, due to constant improvements to my diet (such as for example by noticing that eating fats for lunch makes me feel not as energetic as eating fruit), I spontaneously progressed to a fruit-based raw diet.

I think that the secret to a smooth, effortless transition is following your body (rather then rules constructed from external sources), eating raw foods that you love eating at the moment, and being open to change in the future.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Mycotoxins and Sugar
Date: July 12, 2006 10:42PM

76 Ways Sugar Can Ruin Your Health (includes excessive high glycemic fruits):
[www.mercola.com]

All forms of sugar feed fungus and mycotoxins, which most of us have in our bodies:
The Top-10 MYCO-Toxic Foods:
[www.mercola.com]

OVERACIDITY AND OVERGROWTH OF YEAST, FUNGUS AND MOULDS
by Dr. Robert O. Young, Ph.D.
[www.snyderhealth.com]
Quote:
"...ONE SICKNESS, ONE DISEASE: MYCOTIC INFECTION

One of my discoveries is that there is only one sickness, and that is the over-acidification of the blood and tissues caused by an inverted way of eating and living. Our present day civilized food with its abundance of sugar and animal protein, especially meat, fish, eggs and dairy products, causes this over-acidification of the blood.

This in turn encourages the proliferation of microorganisms which have a common origin and go through various evolutionary steps, the first one being virus, then bacteria, then fungus and yeast. This is called pleomorphism.

PLEOMORPHISM
Pleomorphic means "many forms". Pleomorphism is the foundation of microbiology, and it discredits the germ theory which traditional medicine believes in. Microforms such as viruses, bacteria and fungi are all the same organism at various stages of their evolution....

...This culminates in the final stage which includes the yeasts, fungi and moulds. These forms proliferate and evolve in a compromised biological environment such as acidified blood and tissues....

...SUGAR, FERMENTATION AND CHRONIC FATIGUE

These microscopic beasties get their energy from blood sugars which our bodies are supposed to be using, and they grow and multiply by eating our bodies' proteins. Their needs can turn into our cravings. One of the favourite foods of these microforms is sugar.

They thrive in a declining pH which is acidic, therefore requiring you to eat more pastas, grains, yeast-containing breads, potatoes and especially high fructose fruits and juices, <b>and more sugar in any particular form.</b>

Fruit is good, but not in a compromised biological terrain, so <b>when you eat fruit it becomes a food for fungus and fermentation.</b>

...These microforms then poison us with their waste products. The waste products are acetylaldehyde, uric acid, alloxin, alcohols, lactic acid, etc. Chronic fatigue is the fermentation of our gThese organisms are indestructible - you cannot destroy them. All you can do is change their form, and cause them to retrograde. Bacilli literally evolve backwards out of that cycle when you change the biological terrain. We can control them by retrograding the yeast, fungi and moulds and their bacteria and neutralize their waste products through supplementation and diet. You do that by giving up the very foods that you crave.

PARASITES

These microforms of mould and fungus mixed with the blood cells can be seen through a microscope and these are found in both healthy and non-healthy individuals.

Our bodies are moulding, rotting and basically hosting a parasite party. Actually parasites are the side effects of the more serious problem of over-acidification.

Why are you so concerned about parasites when you are being fermented or rotted by fungi and yeasts.

I find less than 10% of people are infected with flukes or roundworms or flatworms, but <b>I find 100% of the population infected with these higher development fungal forms in live blood analyses. I have yet to find anyone free of this.</b>

FOODS TO AVOID

Very few of us know that pleomorphic bacteria, yeast and fungus and their toxins are characteristically present in stored and fermented food.

The following list of foods are high in pleomorphic bacteria, yeast, fungus and mould, and produce mycotoxins which cause specific diseases and should never be eaten:

Pig meat including sausage, bacon, salami and ham contain fungus associated with many cancers. Beef, lamb, chicken and turkey contain a variety of different fungi.

You need to avoid all mushrooms. There is no such thing as a good mushroom. Mushrooms disperse spores of fungus throughout the blood and tissues.

Peanuts and cashews contain over 25 different strains of fungi.

Dairy products including milk, cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, ice-cream, and butter contain fungi.

Eggs, barley, corn, stored grains and cereals, and stored potatoes are fully colonized with fungi.

Alcohol contains fungus. Tobacco contains yeast. Yeast in any form such as brewer's yeast or breads should not be eaten.

Sugar including honey, maple syrup, corn syrup, sucrose promotes the growth of pleomorphic bacteria, yeast, fungus and mould and suppresses the immune system response up to five hours.

Vinegar, caffeine in any form, and high fructose fruits acidify the blood and tissues.

When you drink orange juice, the sugars in orange juice are released so quickly into the blood stream that they cannot be oxidized. Therefore they are fermented and the acids that are produced literally anaesthetize the immune system. It shuts it down for three to five hours.

Apple juice does the same thing. <b>The problem is excess sugar.</b>

Grape juice and grapefruit juice are a little different. Apples, oranges, pears and bananas are more likely to be fermented. The banana get liver spots the same way you get liver spots, through excess fermentation and rotting.

If you have spots on your hands, face or arms, if you have moles, these are toxins coming to the surface of the skin. These are acids.

This is a manifestation of the one sickness.

You have to change the inner terrain, and if you do, these spots will either disappear or change in colour.

Hydrogenated oils like margarine and shortening and vegetable oils interfere with normal biochemical processes and increase cholesterol, interfere with liver's detoxification system and interfere with essential fatty acid function.... etc...

(To read how mycotoxins affect those of us on a raw vegan diet, read "Rainbow Green Live Food Cuisine"winking smiley

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: July 12, 2006 11:05PM

Oh, by the way, if you are interested, check out the Fruit Lovers Summit page for some info and examples of those who eat lots of fruit and enjoy perfect health (including athletes) smiling smiley And, of course if you like, email me and join/contribute to the event.

A quote from that page:

"The Four Major Warning Signs of Eating Insufficient Quantities of Fresh Fruit
by Dr. Doug Graham

1. If you ever crave sweets at the end of any meal, you have undereaten of sufficient sweetness from fresh fruit at the beginning of that meal.
2. If you ever desire heavy foods (avocado, nuts, seeds, etc.) at the end of a meal, you have undereaten of sufficient sweetness from fresh fruit at the beginning of that meal.
3 If at any time of day you wish to consume refined sugars such as candy, alcohol, chocolate, cakes, or dried fruit, you have undereaten of sufficient sweetness from fresh fruit at the preceding meal.
4. If at any time you are willing to even consider starchy foods (bread, rice, potatoes, corn, pasta, etc) as a source of sustenance, you have undereaten of sufficient sweetness from fresh fruit at the preceding meal.

The solution, in all four instances, is to eat fresh fruit.

Learn from your experiences. Eat sufficiently of fresh fruit and all food cravings will cease. OF course, continue to eat all the fresh tender greens that you care for, as well."

Sincerely,
Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: July 13, 2006 01:18AM

Mike,

You implied in your message that you are on a raw vegan diet? If this is the case, why are you reading Mercola, who is a blantant anti-vegan and anti-raw vegan. The basis of his dietary advice is that animal products are absolutely necessary for good health. Is this your belief also?

Posted by: vegangoddess ()
Date: July 13, 2006 02:50AM

You might also benefit from Victoria Secret`s experiences through her website, books, etc.......

Date: July 13, 2006 03:16AM

??

Posted by: vegangoddess ()
Date: July 13, 2006 03:36AM

oh oh I meant Victoria Boutenko, lol!!! Sorry. I`m not even able to edit my message so my silliness is out there for all to see smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2006 03:43AM by vegangoddess.

Date: July 13, 2006 05:10AM

I Love it! Thanks for making me smile.. smiling smiley Silliness is a beautiful thing.

Date: July 13, 2006 05:38AM

My dominant macronutrient is fat. smiling smiley

I still eat some fruit though. Figs and apples are the ones I enjoy the most. I don't much care for oranges (or other citrus) or bananas. I'll have some melon maybe once or twice a month.

Once figs come more into season I'll probably have more of them.

I eat all fat with greens. I think this is very important.

Date: July 13, 2006 05:48AM

Bryan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mike,
>
> You implied in your message that you are on a raw
> vegan diet? If this is the case, why are you
> reading Mercola, who is a blantant anti-vegan and
> anti-raw vegan. The basis of his dietary advice is
> that animal products are absolutely necessary for
> good health. Is this your belief also?

Bryan, are you implying that you cannot learn from a person who does not agree 100% with your beliefs. I agree with Mercola on some points, I agree with you on some points, I'd figure you and Mercola actually agree with each other on 70-80% of points (like that hydrogenated oil is bad for example). If you ignore everyone who doesn't agree with you and refuse to listen to them you limit yourself very much. Don't you think?

Posted by: chilove ()
Date: July 13, 2006 06:32AM

I"m definitely a fruit person! It makes the most sense to me. I feel the best on a high fruit low fat diet that includes plenty of greens. Too much fat makes me feel tired and sluggish, and gives me yeast problems.

Take care,

Audrey
www.rawhealing.com

Posted by: jackie ()
Date: July 13, 2006 02:31PM

I'm sort of averaging around 60% carbs, 25% fats, 15% protein. This comes out of about 1800 calories daily. Of course, these numbers change a bit depending on avocados purchased (usually 6 at a time, so they are present in my diet every day until they're gone), my stock of fresh leafy greens (sometimes I just run out of them! Then I eat more fruit), and what special fruits are in season, like figs just about now, and watermelon last month, etc.

I get 2 or 3 fruits for breakfast in my green smoothie, to which I add hemp seeds or 1/2 scoop whey protein isolate (that's if I'm going to be out most of the day - I don't get hungry for 5 hours or so with the whey isolate in my smoothie), and I add beets, carrots, celery and flaxseed in there, too, along with the majority of leafy greens like kale, parsley, spinach, watercress, whatever I have around.

Lunch is usually a really yummie salad, jicama/tomato/romaine/grapes or some such nonsense - whatever I have around, veggie-wise. I'm big on red peppers, cukes, tomatoes, stuff like that in my salad. No oils, ever, anymore. Only the whole foods like nuts, etc. Oh, these are usually monster sized, and they take me a while to eat them. A small salad just won't do. But when I'm done, I'm DONE. But technically, the tomatoes, cukes, peppers are fruits, just not sweet ones. I call them veggies. Hope they don't think it's politically incorrect of me!

Dinner has been weird lately. Sometimes I eat avocado and my concoction of salsa, sometimes a mango or two, sometimes goat cheese and sardines! Yeah, they're not raw, but they make me feel good and I like them! No ill effects, so I just gobble them up and don't think twice about it.

I feel good with the fruits I eat, lots of variety - that's the key to my intake. I don't get spacey or "sugar rushed" or anything, and the thought of figs makes my mouth water. I do try to eat fruits first, before anything else, to let them digest first (my nod to the food combining rules), and if I feel the need to eat a snack (not often) it's usually fruit. Or sometimes seaweed, if it's the salty-crunchy type snack I'm thinking about.

Since I have no ill effects from the fruit, my attitude is life's too short not to enjoy them when available. As long as it's varied during the day.

HOWEVER, 80% fruit daily?

Uh, not for me. Also, I've tried the 10% fat route, and that made me feel bad. Just not able to concentrate, thinking of eating all the time, snacking my way through the day, never satisfied...a nightmare for me personally. Plus my skin got dry, it was horrible.

Thankfully I was able to snare a free coconut source, and started adding young coconut to my smoothies every morning, and that took care of my dry skin and feeling hungry problem - almost immediately.

So, that's my little tale, take from it what you will!

Hey, this is all about experimentation. Try stuff, and if it works, stick to it. If it doesn't, try something else. Don't blindly do something because someone swears it's the only way to go. Listen to yourself, you're the boss!

But keep in mind, the most important aspect of this whole thing, IMHO, is to be healthy, happy, and energetic. Yeah, baby! If you're not there yet, just switch stuff around, and you will be.

Oh, I don't know if you've gotten really deep into the "why" of our foods and the effects they have, but I've found a really cool website that opened my eyes to a whole new dimension of eating. Go here: www.eco-eating.com

THIS is really informative, and helped me out A LOT. Anyway, enjoy!

Posted by: ThomasLantern ()
Date: July 13, 2006 06:36PM

I feel better with higher fruit, lower fat... but I still haven't gone 100% so I'm not worth listening to (j/k!)

Date: July 13, 2006 06:55PM

LOL. Well, I could not eat too much fruit the first couple years I was raw because it would make me spacy, but now due to Victoria's Secret (which is no longer a secret) of consuming lots of blended greens in tandem, I am finding I can eat all the fruit I want as long as I have lots of greens too.

Before I focused more on fats but now I have come to see I really need less fat in my diet. I still have plenty though -- average one avo per day plus 1-2 T. olive oil or flax oil.

Posted by: rawdev ()
Date: July 13, 2006 07:01PM

One thing I find strange with the high fruit diet is if you/I/anyone who eats mostly fruits and experiences problems then the blame is on the fruit choices. My question is what fruits do you people who follow on a high fruit diet eat.

Examples: Avocadoes and Durians are fruits but most fruitarians claim these are a questionable fruit and shouldn't be eaten. Others would be the nightshade fruits.
Bananas are also in question. Even dates are fruits and have been around longer than most of today’s standard fruits, yet are avoided.
High sugar content fruits are mangoes, bananas, watermelons, dates, etc.......

So again, what do you eat/consume?

Listening is the strongest tool in life!!!

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: July 13, 2006 07:57PM

Regarding Rawdev's question about what fruits do high fruit eaters eat:

I am high fruit, but can only speak for myself of course. I eat any kind of fruit, including bananas, tomatoes (nightshade), cucumbers, citrus, dried fruits, tropical fruits, and avocadoes. I usually don't eat more than 1/2 avocado in a day and most days no avocado at all. Especially, I can't eat avocado from about 4:00 PM on because avocados need more daytime to digest if I expect to be able to sleep with a comfortable stomach at night. I live in the tropics and grow most of the fruit I eat. It's a lot easier to grow fruit here than vegetables.

Most of my fat intake comes from nuts and seeds. I usually eat a variety of unsprouted nuts and seeds every day adding up to about 1/2 to 1 cup. If I have young coconuts, I eat less seeds/nuts.

I love salads and most raw greens, but don't usually eat them more than twice a week because they are a little hard on my system (harder than nuts/seeds). When I eat a salad, it's a BIG salad (I'm like Jackie: "a small salad just won't do"winking smiley and it's a REALLY wonderful treat. Just can't do it too often.

At age 55, I'm physically very active, with yoga, running, walking, hiking, walking with weights, swimming when I can, tending to the orchards, and housework.

Best wishes, -Ally

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2006 08:02PM by Ally.

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: July 13, 2006 07:58PM

At the moment I eat quite a lot of bananas. I try and eat as much local fruit as possible, but there's not too much here in England. When I lived in Spain, virtually all of my food was local and I didn't eat many bananas at all.

So, now, I'm eating mangos, bananas, oranges, cherries, lychees, melons, persimons, papaya, etc, etc, really as large a selection as I can get my hands on. I love durian and would eat more if it wasn't so expensive, I just bought one today, I suppose now I'm living in London and can get hold of them easily I have about one a month.

I love dates and eat around 100g per day. I also love dried figs and probably eat around 100g per day, maybe a bit more.

As I said before, I eat a lot of greens, every day I go for a walk and pick wild greens (I don't usually buy greens.) And about 1 avocado per day, although when I lived in Spain and avocados were cheap and plentyful, some days I would eat 2 or 3 or even more, without any noticeable effect.

Other foods include hemp seeds, sunflower and pumkin seeds and flax oil.

(Just for the record, I'm not vegan, I eat probably about 20 grams of cheese made with unpasturised milk per day.)

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: cherimoya ()
Date: July 16, 2006 01:35AM

ShineOn,

I am mostly a fruit eater I will eat squaches that are in season also and some baby greens,cukes,peppers,tomatoes, ect.
As for fat I am sure I get plenty of it if I am in Florida a Florida Avo maybe once or twice a week.When I am in Thailand I will indulge in durian when it is in season.
Sometimes I go months without added fat just the fat from the fruits and veggies I eat very little if any been eating low fat for many years and I have never had that so called spacey feeling.
Had A nice n sweet papaya off my tree in the backyard today and the figs on my fig tree are staring to ripen been eating a few every day it is a small tree I planted a few years ago but it is loaded with figs.
Tommorrow I will go to the market and buy some food mainly fruit here is my list for tommorrow.

12 to 15 pounds of Florida mangos
maybe some Sapodillas or litches if the price is right.
2 ten pound boxes of bananas
7 pounds of tomatoes
1.5 pounds of okra
1 pound of red hot peppers this time of year they are red but not that hot been duds lately as for heat just like red peppers but are still OK.
6 large unwaxed Cukes
3 large Chayotes
1 large Florida Avocado
2 heads of romaine
Some bok choy
3 heads of lettuce
10 limes
3 pounds of sweet potatoes
I am getting hungry just thinking about it.
I really enjoy going to the Farmers market on Sundays.

Cherimoya
Peace Love and Happiness,

Date: July 16, 2006 02:06AM

Make your life simpler, grow some spourts and indoor greens

Posted by: cherimoya ()
Date: July 16, 2006 06:07PM

Djatchi

I used to grow a lot of sprouts and indoor greens once in a while I still grow some but it is a lot more easy to go outside and pick some wild greens and fruit from a tree.

Cherimoya

Love Peace and Happiness,

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables