Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Its genetic...
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: March 07, 2011 01:06PM

Thats such a favorate phrase I have heard by a number of people, when it comes to health and longevity. There maybe a factor of genes, but I always understood that most factors around health and longevity are within our choice to modify in our living patterns.

I often wondered why my partner says that a lot, but I think its because he doesn't want to give up certain things, or that there is a lot of conflicting information around the subject. Have you heard this a lot?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Its genetic...
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 07, 2011 01:14PM

It is a common excuse many fall into the trap of overusing. Genetics play a massive role in health and disease BUT to an extent we have to look at what past generations lifestyle factors were like.

Does diabetes run in the family, well its likely because poor dietary habits have been handed down from one generation to another etc. But yeah there are many diseases that have genetic elements, but also healthy lifestyle can help prevent or treat these conditions.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 07, 2011 04:31PM

Agree with powerlifer, though I believe there is such a thing as a "constitution" that can be passed down from one family member to another, regardless of lifestyle factors.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 07, 2011 04:48PM

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Agree with powerlifer, though I believe there is
> such a thing as a "constitution" that can be
> passed down from one family member to another,
> regardless of lifestyle factors.

Yeah thats what i meant also, although i didnt explain it very well, in some cases its genetics that are to blame in others genetics get vastly overblamed for poor lifestyle and dietary habits handed down via generations.

One example i really believe in is addiction and addictive behavior especially to certain substances such as alcohol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2011 04:49PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 09, 2011 08:58PM

Yes, people use this as a cop out no doubt. So in saying it's genitic, they don't have to change their behaviour, they say they can't help it, it's out of their hands. However, genetic influences are only a greater tendency to a certain behaviour etc, such as addiction. However, it's still within the person's control to make good choices, but they may have to be more diligent than most, and work a little harder than most.

Posted by: RocketShip ()
Date: March 10, 2011 08:17AM

If it weren't genetic then we would all be identical. There are tons of inheritable genetic traits in the human body, including disease. It also makes sense that metabolisms are inheritable.

I wouldn't expect a thoroughbred and a drafthorse to metabolize food the same, nor would I expect a greyhound and a pug to metabolize food the same. So why should we expect people from different genetic backgrounds to metabolize food the same?

I have moles on my body in exactly the same spot as my parent (neither of us have a lot of moles but there are some in significantly identical locations on our bodies.) If something as insignificant as a mole can be passed from parent to child, as well as other physical features that makes us look alike, then certainly the inner workings can be similar as well.

But in the words of Dr. Phil: some people are genetically predisposed to having a sluggish metabolism and that just means that they have to work a little harder to stay trim and healthy. It won't be easy, but it isn't impossible.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: March 10, 2011 06:54PM

I learned of a genetic thing related to lungs. If a person doesn't produce this enzyme, the lungs don't work properly and then they can get copd which is most often related to smoking. Its pretty rare, but it happens.

Its like alcohol, some people can drink a lot without immediate visible harm, while others suffer terribly from even moderate consumption. Same with smoking, some actually get a benefit from very light smoking, supposedly. but most people suffer terribly from smoking, especially chain smoking.

So there are variations for everyone, but what does that mean one shouldn't practice certain safeguards? Wouldn't the same people with tolerances to bad things still experience greater levels of health without the *crap*?

Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: March 20, 2011 12:35AM

I'm also on the nature side of the nature vs. nurture debate.

We're given a very powerful set of limitations in our genes. This is an intentionally overdone way of looking at it, but none of us grow into puppies or fig trees no matter how hard we try. People seem very accepting that some factors like height are due to genetics, but not others like weight.

We can all train to run faster or longer, but some people will never be as fast as others despite the same training. Some people will never be as fit as others despite their best efforts.

Despite saying that, I still think the responsibility is on each of us individually to maximize our potentials. But, for some people the reward they get from participating in destructive or indulgent behaviors today is far more attractive than the uncertain possibility of staving off chronic disease or living a little longer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables