Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Can/should pets be raised vegan?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 21, 2011 03:22PM

I say they can be, although for nutritional difficulties, perhaps scrambled eggs or something. I don't have any dogs or cats at the moment, but I just couldn't procure meat for them. It would feel wrong to me. On the other hand, I don't want to deprive them of what they need in order to thrive...

In any case, I came across this video from Matt and Angela Monarch yesterday.

[www.youtube.com]

I guess there is some organization called BARF that deals with raw meat and bones or something? Anyone familiar with this and what do you guys do with any pets you have?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can/should pets be raised vegan?
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: March 21, 2011 03:45PM

i dunno, ive known people with vegan pets that really looked half dead... but ive heard of people being successful with it...but never personally seen it, dogs and cats at least, are carnivorous, their bodies designed to eat almost nothing but meat...I would feel worse feeding them something that does not promote optimal health for them, than I would procuring the meat... unfortunately im not sure if it would be economically viable for most to feed their animals meat, especially the more ethical versions... so stuff like eggs might be a cheaper, more ethical alternative...a cat I had when I was a kid absolutely adored scrambled eggs with salsa...lol...

Date: March 21, 2011 03:49PM

Yes, I had heard that you can feed them scrambled eggs, which are cheap. When I worked at the health store, a man would come in and buy Boca burgers for his dog. He was trying to rehabilitate her or something and he claimed that she loved veggie burgers made from soy. When I read the comments on Youtube under the video I linked, one woman said that they sell vegan dog food at Petco, which is pretty much a relief to me, should I ever get a dog. I was once talking to a woman with a dog and asked her if it ate veggies and then I threw a piece of carrot to the dog and it snapped it up. So cool.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: March 21, 2011 03:56PM

Dogs and cats, can? maybe should? no, they are carnivores, (at least the cats). They should be fed what they have evolved to eat. If you need pet companionship and want it to be vegan, get a rabbit, or hamster or bird. But if you need a cat, don't make it into something it isn't. Imho.

Paul

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: March 21, 2011 04:02PM

they can live off that stuff banana who, but I dont think theyd be very healthy, they where decidedly not healthy, the few ive seen, especially cats... petco carries it, cause people pay for it, and pay a lot...lol

Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: March 21, 2011 04:15PM

If you can't stomach what an animal chooses to eat and you really want one then you should have the space for the animal to hunt on it's own so you don't have to do it for them... cause naturally this is what they would do and I don't think we should force our beliefs onto anyone.... humans and animals alike... Cats and dogs are allergic to most grains Dogs aren't as carnivorous as Cats but still let them eat what they naturally would eat or don't have one.

love laugh and dream

Date: March 21, 2011 04:21PM

@Luvyuu: Yes, growing up I had cats and I remember one of them dragging a bird around. It breaks my heart, I am sorry. I don't like those nature shows where the cute little animal is walking around oblivious and you see the predator stalking it--I spend most of my time hiding my eyes. I guess I am thinking of Ani Phyo. She has a big dog that she has raised as a raw vegan. She gives it durian and everything. She (the dog) looks very healthy. But I would be horrified if my choices affected the health of my pet. I wonder if dogs and cats could be raised vegetarian if it is done from birth?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2011 04:22PM by banana who.

Date: March 21, 2011 04:24PM

The purpose for this thread is to say--I'm not gonna lie--I was a bit disappointed that the Monarchs are going this route. I understand the desire to feed a pet a certain diet tailormade for them, but they are vegans. I thought they would at least wring their hands for a few minutes and express their ambivalence.

Posted by: RawLibrarian ()
Date: March 21, 2011 04:25PM

luvyuu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you can't stomach what an animal chooses to eat
> and you really want one then you should have the
> space for the animal to hunt on it's own so you
> don't have to do it for them... cause naturally
> this is what they would do and I don't think we
> should force our beliefs onto anyone.... humans
> and animals alike... Cats and dogs are allergic
> to most grains Dogs aren't as carnivorous as Cats
> but still let them eat what they naturally would
> eat or don't have one.
>
> love laugh and dream

Ditto ditto!!! Dogs can be omnivorous, but cats are OBLIGATE carnivores. They MUST have meat. They will die without it, and the taurine in the meat ensures that they will not go blind.

If people insist on vegan pets, let them get a guinea pig. The idea of not giving meat to a pet cat is animal cruelty. They simply are not made to live without meat.

I'm a cat owner. What I eat, and what they eat, are completely different and I have no desire to turn my cats into vegans.

Date: March 21, 2011 04:29PM

Okay but what about scrambled eggs? Do they absolutely have to eat animal flesh? That is one of my main questions.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 21, 2011 05:19PM

A cat would not hunt and eat egg naturally (especially cooked egg) so no, I would not say that is an optimal diet. Neither for dogs, offer a dog a plate of meat and a plate of anything else at all and most dogs will go straight for the meat every time. Of course they will, that is what they are designed to Thrive on. There is a big difference between thrive and survive and I don't see how it's a human being's call to choose something inferior for another creature when the optimal is available for them. Sorry. I agree, vegans should have a vegan pet is they can't stomach the idea of feeding an animal other animals.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: March 22, 2011 02:07AM

i think a species should be fed what is meant to be fed .. forcing our personal beliefs on a an animal make it unfair to those without a voice or choice

if you dont like handling that stuff due to your personal choices/beliefs .. dont have the pet smiling smiley or get a pet that is vegan mostly by nature !

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables