Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Papayassad smiley
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 31, 2011 12:52AM

As I posted some time ago, I had an experience with a papaya that had evidence of being irradiated. I had read somewhere that ALL Hawaiian papayas were treated this way, but as I hardly ever get those kind, I didn't really think much of it until I bought one from Mexico that was all mushy and funky inside. I think the seeds had even started sprouting! So I ended up returning one and having another that was the same way. There is a ring of darker area close to the seeds and I believe that "they" zap it and it affect the inner parts the mostsad smiley So a few days ago I bought another papaya from the same store (and this is probably at least six months later) and it's obviously been zapped, although not as much. The papaya is totally affected by this, even the taste. I will take it back but I am wondering if any of you have noticed this also. I am gonna go to a different ethnic market in the near future and see if this is widespread or just this store. I am also contacting the ownersmiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Papayassad smiley
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: March 31, 2011 02:18AM

hmmm, ive never been able to stand the taste of papaya (or passionfruit) only fruits I dont really like...so Ive not ever really noticed this, the few I shared with others first times I tried them, where nothing like that though... maybe these ones you are getting are really old?

Date: March 31, 2011 06:32PM

Nope. Too-ripe papayas are just pretty tasteless. These are boiled. They have a ring around the middle part, the texture is horrible...I actually had one in the past where the seeds had sprouted. Total frankenfood stuff.

Date: March 31, 2011 06:51PM

yikes... if the seeds are sprouted though, wouldnt that show that its most likely NOT been fried? wouldnt they not be able to sprout?

Date: March 31, 2011 07:26PM

I dunno--freaked me out. But I could definitely see a ring around the middle when I cut it. Totally unnatural. Maybe the heat was enough to make them sprout but then they were deactivated? In any case, not only does it taste cooked but it is probably not enzymatic.

Date: March 31, 2011 09:11PM

yuck...sounds nasty...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 31, 2011 11:23PM

They sound old or like they were frozen. Gross. And sad too, I love papaya.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables