Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

bubbies pickles
Posted by: jortony ()
Date: April 06, 2011 02:58PM

I have heard a lot of good things about Bubbie's Pickles. There was a recent post about good bacteria in their sauerkraut. Does this mean they are raw?

[www.bubbies.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: bubbies pickles
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 06, 2011 03:02PM

Yeah, I think they actually are!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 06, 2011 04:11PM

They are raw but you can easily make your own with a fermenting jar like the Perfect Pickler (or a homemade version).

Posted by: veganjuice ()
Date: April 06, 2011 06:36PM

I can't ever seem to get my pickles to taste as good as store bought - plus, they don't get as crispy either!

Date: April 06, 2011 06:44PM

What are you using to make pickles? I get crispy ones with the jar I mentioned. It keeps out all bacteria though, and I never take anything out of the jar with my fingers because that bacteria will cause things to soften up.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 07, 2011 05:11PM

If they are commercial pickles in a jar, they have been heat treated in a water bath for safety. You can make your own with a good old timey recipe and modest skill, or with a Perfect Pickler or some such device. Good luck!

Date: April 07, 2011 07:05PM

Tam, Bubbies are kept refrigerated in the store, I'm pretty sure they are just fermented.

Date: April 07, 2011 08:04PM

I found this in regards to Tamukha's post... it would seem that some companies do hi- heat their product.

"The other two methods of preservation do not require a fermentation step. One method is by direct pasteurization. In this method, the cucumbers are bottled and then exposed to very high temperatures for a set amount of time.

This has the effect of killing all of the natural bacteria that may is present. These sterilized cucumbers can then be further processed into pickles. This method of production results in pickles that have a shelf life of only a few months."

I suppose one would have to determine which method the "pickler" implemented...how to know? I guess they would tell you if you contacted them.

Coco - does your recipe call for a Quick Process Pickling mix or do you use a 4 - 6 week method?

We have plenty of jars to use, so we don't need to buy the perfect pickler. If you would have a recipe or website that explains the process I would be most appreciative. smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2011 08:06PM by veganjuice.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 07, 2011 08:13PM

I did some digging around on Bubbie's and most of their products are, indeed, raw:

[herbangardener.com]

Date: April 07, 2011 09:47PM

Oh nuts! sad smiley

“Bubbies Bread & Butter Chips are vinegar brined and are a pasteurized food product, so there are no live cultures in that particular item."

I love that particular item!

Date: April 07, 2011 09:54PM

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I did some digging around on Bubbie's and most of
> their products are, indeed, raw:
>
> [herbangardener.com]
> roducts-raw/

Very interesting, Tam! Thanks for that. I don't remember getting as clear a picture of their products from their actual site. I am thrilled that their relish is 100% raw! I have never seen it at my local WF's, though. Maybe put in a request or something...I wonder why the kraut gets all gassy, though. Perhaps it's a cabbage thing. They make a horseradish that I am pretty sure isn't raw because if I am not mistaken, distilled vinegar is an ingredient but maybe I should doublecheck my infowinking smiley

Date: April 07, 2011 11:29PM

Pickles with the Perfect Pickler take 4 days because they are fermented, not brined or pickled with acid. The thing that is special about that set up is not the jar, it's the pressure valve which keeps all bacteria etc out and allows for clean fermentation. You could set up your own system for sure, I just don't know how to myself (plus I have the jar so why bother?).
The recipe is just sea salt and pure water, nothing special that you have to buy aside from the salt. Perfect pickles, so nummy num num...

Date: April 08, 2011 01:46AM

coco,

Have you ever attempted a particular pickle recipe, such as bread & butter pickles? We actually enjoy those more than the dill pickles.

The recipe that we followed gave us - good smelling pickles with little taste and a squishy texture, lol. It had several ingredients...I can't remember what they were now.

Date: April 08, 2011 01:55PM

I loathe bread and butter pickles so ... no ... grinning smiley

Date: April 08, 2011 02:48PM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I loathe bread and butter pickles so ... no ... grinning smiley

Um..."loathe?!" Really? Them's strong words, missy...I love them. I get them from Trader Joe's but of course they are pasteurized.

Date: April 08, 2011 05:58PM

There are only a couple of foods I find truly disgusting. Bananas top the list but those pickles are close. Yuck.

Date: April 08, 2011 06:08PM

Bananas? Are you a hybrid from Arcturus or what?winking smiley

Date: April 08, 2011 06:39PM

I hate Hate HATE bananas, oh ugh. Even the smell makes me gag a little. When I make a smoothie in the morning for us I take mine out before adding banana for the kids. If I make theirs first and don't wash the blender out completely before making mine I can't drink it at all. I mean it, I really hate banana.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables