Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Are powders effective?
Posted by: robertodonnell ()
Date: April 06, 2011 07:04PM

Hi guys, new to the forum. I just wanted to ask peoples opinion on this product:

[www.naturesplus.com]

It has chia/pea/rice protein and around 20 amino acids total.
I don't do a fully raw diet, but I don't eat processed foods either.
I'm trying to cut down on meat etc.

Do you guys feel this counts as a raw supplement. It seems to have enzymes, and it has a lot of fruit extracts. Are these beneficial?

I'd like to replace a considerable amount of my meals with this, although I still eat legumes, and nuts and some fresh stuff and slightly cooked veggies.

My question is how good do you think this kind of product is, and how much of your diet can you replace with it? I'd think it's healthier than a deluxe burger and fries from a diner.

Thanks a lot

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Are powders effective?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 06, 2011 10:03PM

I'd think it's healthier than a deluxe burger and fries from a diner too! These things work for some people and don't for others so you just never can tell until you try it. If you think this will help you out then I say go for it. It may be something you use to transition to an all around healthier diet and that's a good thing.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: April 07, 2011 01:30AM

I think you are better off spending your money on fresh fruits and vegetables over a powder. But if this food helps you stay raw, by all means indulge.

One note on the ingredients - this product contains cyanocobalamin, which in the body breaks down into cyanide.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: April 07, 2011 02:06AM

Brian Clement has said that Wheatgrass Powders and Tablets are less than 1 percent effective. I would imagine all powders fall somewhere in that range.
Knowing that, I still take Chlorella tablets...kind of like a placebo effect.....WY

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: April 07, 2011 08:48AM

Id like to see some proof from Brian that they are less than 1 percent effective, what aload of guff lol.

Many of them are just dried versions of fruit, grasses, vegetable. Its just taking them in a different form in many cases.

You should always look to getting as much nutrition from food first, as supplement is exactly that a supplement to a good diet. Although many of them are needed if you have health problems, need extra source of concentrated protein as a bodybuilder etc.

Date: April 07, 2011 12:17PM

I forgot to to mention herbal powders and spices in my post, they are an example of how effective certain powders are. Many have been healing with various herbal powders and dried powdered spices for thousands of years.

Date: April 07, 2011 12:23PM

powerlifer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ......Although
> many of them are needed if you have health
> problems, need extra source of concentrated
> protein as a bodybuilder etc.
Exactly!! And if one wants to Meditate all day long, they can get by on far less Protein. In fact, a Calorie Restriction Diet may be preferred.
I've always liked to eat High Nutrition, and just let my weight fall where it may...Muscular without bulges. If you want to build muscle, that's up to you. But why would you want to? To call attention to your Body?.....WY

Date: April 07, 2011 12:26PM

To be stronger. This is a goal for me in life, to be very strong. I will need it for the work I wish to do (creating permaculture and forest gardens, building cob homes, teaching yoga).

Date: April 07, 2011 01:01PM

coco Wrote:
> To be stronger. This is a goal for me in life, to
> be very strong.
To be stronger is my Goal too. But, I'm saying you can be stronger doing ones Work, without spending time lifting weights.....WY

Date: April 07, 2011 02:39PM

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
> powerlifer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > ......Although
> > many of them are needed if you have health
> > problems, need extra source of concentrated
> > protein as a bodybuilder etc.
> Exactly!! And if one wants to Meditate all day
> long, they can get by on far less Protein. In
> fact, a Calorie Restriction Diet may be
> preferred.
> I've always liked to eat High Nutrition, and just
> let my weight fall where it may...Muscular without
> bulges. If you want to build muscle, that's up to
> you. But why would you want to? To call attention
> to your Body?.....WY

To start i don't believe in calorie restriction no do i think its healthy.

Why would i want to build muscle and strength, well for one as a boxer/martial artist increase strength, powder and muscle makes me a more rounded and better athlete. Another reason is because it makes me look good and feel happy. A happy person is generally a happy person.

I don't know why what i wish to do came into it, i said supplements were specific to ones needs and that food should always come first. Protein needs are increased for athletes and those who exercise that was merely what i was saying in this case of a bodybuilder extra protein can be crucial to repair and gains.

What is doing ones work out of interest?

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: April 07, 2011 04:07PM

I don't think "doing one's work" is enough. I am a dancer and I rock climb, but if I don't train my body in other ways (cardio, weights, etc) on my off days, I don't make the same gains.

Date: April 07, 2011 07:07PM

Gardening and building are not year round activities where I live. I'd surely spend a couple of months working inefficiently and in a lot of pain in spring each year if I didn't work at keeping strong year round. Stretching is important too and that's not part of any of my work.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: April 07, 2011 08:02PM

By they way, in case you didn't know, this is most likely a SPAM post. We get a lot of these, where a person who just registered the same day posts a link to some random product. For the most part, the products don't have to do with raw vegan foods. But in this case, it seem like it does.

Date: April 07, 2011 11:20PM

Oh, he sounded so sincere and asked such good questions, I just assumed he was for real. Oh well, good convo anyhow...

Posted by: robertodonnell ()
Date: April 14, 2011 01:19AM

Hey guys, thanks for the answers. Just wanted to log in cause I saw someone said maybe this was spam. I'm real! I mostly read and don't post a lot but I did want to get the boards input about this powder since I've been taking it and feel good from it.

One of the main things I noticed was my breathing and blood sugar felt better and all that.

Anyway, I'm real. I live in New York and blah blah blah yeah.
But I hate spam so just wanted to clarify.

Thanks guys. BTW thats a bummer about your body converting it to cyanide?
I'll have to check into that further and learn more.
Thanks.
peace

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables