Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Consuming overripe fruit
Posted by: Jonathan Barlow ()
Date: March 29, 2011 12:54AM

Is it harmful to consume overripe fruit? I often eat bananas that are almost completely brown on the outside, with skin that falls apart, and flesh that is mushy and tastes almost slightly alcoholic perhaps. Is that unhealthy? And sometimes I throw bruised and mushy old pears into smoothies. And sometimes I don't get around to cutting my pineapples until they smell rancid and have mold on the outside. The inside seems ok though. I guess I fail to keep track of the ripening progress but then I don't want to waste anything.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Consuming overripe fruit
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: March 29, 2011 01:01AM

You don't have to waste the fruit. But you don't have to eat either. Put the fruit into the compost, and make soil with it.

If fruit is tasting at all alcoholic, or even if it just smells alcoholic, its best composted. You might be able so salvage some unfermented fruit, but that can still be risky.

Date: April 11, 2011 06:41PM

Thanks Prana. Wish I had a garden to use compost.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 11, 2011 06:46PM

Just put that piece of fruit under a bush outside. Try not to let anyone see you at this urban composting and use a different bush every time but this is what we do whenever we're out.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 11, 2011 11:34PM

I was eating an apple on the street and I threw it in the bushes and saw this lady yelling at me from within her parked car. I made no real effort to hide the fact that I was doing this because my hometown is supposedly soooo uber liberal and all. Nope, she was obviously pissed that I was "littering." eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 11, 2011 11:38PM

She was ripe for a conversation about composting that lady. Save your ire for the people tossing McDeath styrofoam garbage out their car windows granny, pft.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2011 11:39PM by coco.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 12, 2011 01:06AM

Hey, it's ORGANIC! And these are the same types who probably use a chemical gardening application...

Date: April 13, 2011 10:13PM

I've often wondered if it is considered littering. I throw fruit cores/skins out my car into grassy/wooded areas all the time.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: April 14, 2011 02:09AM

it is legally considered littering, sure there is obviously a huge moral difference, but unfortunately the law does not feel it is different... littering fines are HUGE so id be a bit more careful about it...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: April 14, 2011 05:17PM

Unbelievable. But thanks I'll be more careful.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables