Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Know of RAW hemp seed sources?
Posted by: Janabanana ()
Date: April 15, 2011 07:20PM

HEMP SEED—“Raw” Hemp Seed is the single most perfect food for rebuilding the cell membranes and nerve sheaths needed for sovereignty. Dr. Jerry Tennant mentions the need to enhance the body's bile making abilities (or take supplemental bile) in order to digest the fats needed to "rebuild" the liver in order to metabolize the fats well. The components of hemp seed serve this whole rebuilding process as people with gallbladder problems are able to absorb Hemp Seed oil where they could not digest other oils and hemp seed removes obstructions of the liver and gall bladder. In terms of nutrient content, shelled hemp seed is basically 34.6% protein including the perfect protein Edestin and a high content of sulfur-containing amino acids (methionine and cysteine), 46.5% fat – a third of which is Omega 3 and 11.6% carbohydrate. Hemp seed is also a good source of the antioxidant Vitamin E which helps to preserve its Omega 3 content. Hemp seed also has the following components needed for rebuilding the cell membranes and nerve sheaths: Lecithin for the protective sheaths surrounding the brain and nervous system and it helps in the breakdown of fats and enhances liver activity and enzyme production. Its derivative Choline is needed for nerve impulses from the brain throughout the nervous system and for liver and gall bladder function; and acetylcholine is crucial for short-term memory. Inositol promotes hair growth, reduces cholesterol levels, and is calming to the nervous system. Phytosterols or ‘plant hormones’ or phytoestrogens, affect cholesterol absorption, hormone regulation, and cell metabolism.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Know of RAW hemp seed sources?
Posted by: Prism ()
Date: April 15, 2011 07:47PM

I believe that a member here called Swimmer knows of a raw hemp seed protein mix. You could send a pm to him to find out the name of it.

Maybe do a search online for raw hemp protein mix.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 15, 2011 08:09PM

Manitoba harvest is a good company out of Canada. There must be one south of the border though, have you googled it or asked at your local health food store?

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: April 15, 2011 08:40PM

hey coco, I was reading something last week that was saying, raw hemp seed (that can be sprouted) is illegal to sell in the U.S. which is unfortunate... I think if its some how NOT able to be sprouted (but still technically raw?) then it IS legal...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: April 15, 2011 08:49PM

Once the shells are off it can't be sprouted. Also if it's ground it can't be sprouted. Usually hemp in the shell has been steamed or irradiated to make it non-viable. In Canada too, it's heavily regulated because it looks like pot even though they are nothing alike at all. It's the stupidest thing ever, anyone should be able to grow hemp in their garden.

I have to tell you though, if you nab some bird seed with hemp in it your gonna be able to sprout it just fine. Even some hemp in the hull that isn't supposed to be sproutable still is, you just have to try it.

Date: April 15, 2011 09:22PM

ahhh, cool... I shall have to try out some bird seed sometime then, heheh

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: April 15, 2011 11:31PM

I'll contact Nutiva to see how raw their product is.
VEGAN CELL MEMBRANE BUILDING
Raw vegan alternatives to Dr. Budwig’s recipe combination could be ideal considering the radiation now in the environment. We could make dehydrated crackers, breads and pizza crusts with flax, hemp and chia seed combined with sprouted grains like buckwheat, quinoa, amaranth. Then we could make spreads with soaked-sprouted seeds of pumpkin, sunflower, seasame, buckwheat, combined with red peppers, garlic, brewers yeast, miso, lemon juice, and antioxidant spices like cumin and tumeric, which may be blended with flaxseed oil. Nori rolls made from these spreads may include alfalfa sprouts, avocado, cucumber, red peppers etc….

The sulfur containing amino acid methionine is an intermediate in the biosynthesis of cysteine, carnitine, taurine, lecithin, phosphatidylcholine, and the antioxidant glutathione. Plant-based sources of methionine include sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, peanuts and lentils. Cysteine and methionine are found in foods such as brazil nuts, fish, cottage cheese, poultry, yogurt, egg yolks, red peppers, garlic, onions, cabbage family, oats, and wheat germ. The Aztecs grain amaranth is between 15-18% protein including the amino acids lysine and methionine; and Quinoa's protein is high in lysine, methionine and cysteine. L-Cysteine and L-Methionine are the sulfur amino acids that form "keratin," which is the protein structure of hair, skin, bone, cartilage and connective tissue. Methionine is the "start" amino acid in the process of protein synthesis, and is therefore the beginning of every single protein made.

Methionine assists in the breakdown of fats and assists with the digestive system and removes heavy metals from the body and is also a great antioxidant as sulfur inactivates free radicals. Methionine is considered a lipotropic agent and works with choline and inositol to help prevent excess accumulation of fat and cholesterol in the liver by increasing the liver's production of lecithin; and protects the kidneys. S-Adenosylmethionine (SAMe) is a key physiological agent formed in the body by combining the essential amino acid methionine to adenosyl-tri-phosphate (ATP). A deficiency of methionine, vitamin B12, or folic acid can result in decreased SAMe synthesis. SAMe is also required in the manufacture of all sulfur-containing compounds in the human body including glutathione and various sulfur-containing cartilage components. Hemp seeds contain all nine essential amino acids with a high content of sulfur-containing ones methionine and cysteine. The MSM form of sulfur is important for joint health and helps form connective tissues.

Date: April 16, 2011 02:53AM

You can strain stuff through cotton cloth on a colander.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: April 16, 2011 04:01AM

In addition to Manitoba Harvest, Nutiva is another good source for shelled hemp seed, sometimes called hemp hearts. If you are looking for whole raw hemp seeds with their hulls on, AFAIK, there is only one online source, Nutsonline.com

I currently buy my hemp hearts from Nutiva as their price was a little less expensive than Manitoba Harvest. But next time, I may try Nutsonline just for a change.

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2011 04:02AM by pborst.

Date: April 16, 2011 05:22AM

actually, I knew a guy who specifically had a patch just for seed production, however it was not hemp,lol...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: April 16, 2011 07:39PM

THeSt0rm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> nutsonline.com doesnot sell them raw.
>
> "*Per United States regulations, these hemp seeds
> have been heat sterilized*"
>
> best to get them from your local druglord.

This misconception is part of what keeps hemp so heavily regulated. Hemp is not something you're going to get from a local druglord as it is NOT MARIJUANA! They are two different crops, they have very little in common in terms of practical application. You can't get high smoking hemp, not even if you lit up an entire bale of the stuff. Wipe this idea from your mind please, hemp and pot are different plants entirely.

Date: April 16, 2011 09:31PM

uhm actually, thats not true coco, they are NOT different plants entirely, they are closely related, but hemp is a variety with extremely low levels of the chemicals that can get you high (THC being only one of them...but the main one) and High levels of the a chemical that actually blocks one from getting high (CBD), the thing is,varieties that people smoke for medicinal and recreational purposes, they where all at one point of similar potency to the varieties grown for hemp crops, but over time became a bit stronger, discovered by man, and bred over a very very long time to become even stronger! even now the weed in existence is far stronger than what was available in the 60's-70's...

But yes, they are the same plant more or less, just the hemp variety does not produce enough of the chemicals people enjoy, for them to be able to enjoy it,and a ton that actually block the ability to do so... but they look the same, they even smell the same, their buds are the same, their seeds look the same, and genetically they are as similar as two plants can be and have different chemical properties... if you plant marijuana in a hemp field to hide it, it wont really work for many reasons, but for one, its because the hemps pollen mixing with the MJ will drastically weaken the MJ's Potency... the seeds one could get from their local drug lord (although "drug lords" wont actually ever have any seeds at all, they grow from clones usually, assuming they are even the ones growing it, which often isnt the case.) would have the same nutritional content as hemp seeds... so effectively the same product food wise... but seeds go for far less by weight than the bud does, so they never grow with any males in the bunch, all female plants (sometimes a plant turns hermaphrodite though and impregnates the whole crop...that sucks...lol)

But yeah, they are both Cannabis, just different varieties, just like different varieties of the various plants are still the same kind of plant... oh and Marijuana, can be used for hemp production as well...has the same fibrous stalks and whatnot as industrial hemp...

"The key Cannabis species problem derives from the fact that there is no convenient species barrier between the varying types that would allow us to draw a clear line between them. In taxonomy, often the delineating line between species is that they cannot cross-breed. But disparate types of Cannabis can indeed produce fertile offspring, not sexually dysfunctional "mules."

Consequently, a debate has raged within botanical circles as to how many species the genus contains. At this time botanists generally recognize a unique family of plants they call "Cannabaceae," under which are classified the genus Cannabis and its closest botanical relative, Humulus, which contains the beer flavoring, hops [9]. The prevailing opinion currently recognizes three species: C. sativa, C. indica, and C. ruderalis. [10] "Industrial" types fall exclusively within C. sativa, although all Cannabis plants contain stem fiber and can have multiple uses in primitive societies where they are indigenous."

[naihc.org]

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: April 16, 2011 11:22PM

Curator, don't make this one of those times that you have to argue something just because you love to argue smiling smiley.
You know very well what I meant and you know it's true. Hemp is not something any drug lord wants to have anything to do with and association hemp with pot is what keeps it regulated. It's damaging to it's reputation to be thought of in the same context. No one is getting high on hemp seeds.

Date: April 17, 2011 02:26AM

Coco, I find that offensive, because there has NEVER been one of those times, I literally HATE arguing, it makes me feel physically sick, but I Hate misinformation even more, and no, I had no idea that you meant the complete OPPOSITE of what you actually emphatically stated, I have run into DOZENS of people that have said the same as above, thinking its an entirely different plant, when its even the same SPECIES as most cannabis grown for medicinal or recreational use, just a different variety.

Im sorry if you meant something different, But all I had to go on was your literal meaning, you implied nothing else from it, but emphatically stated "hemp and pot are different plants entirely." Sorry for taking you literally, next time you say anything I will just assume you mean the opposite of what you say. Thanks for warning me.

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: April 17, 2011 02:33AM

Chill out.

They are not the same plant. One produces THC, it is used to get high, it is illegal. The other does not produce THC, it is used as a food product, it is used to make paper and fiber and that's it. They are not the same plant, they are distant cousins, they look alike and that is ALL. I get totally tweaked when people lump them together, this is why I can't plant hemp in my garden, because of this disinformation.

Date: April 17, 2011 03:06AM

well botanists, including the ones who work with the main groups for getting industrial hemp legalized in north america disagree with you as the above article from them shows,(and it DOES have THC, just in small amounts, and high levels of CBA, as I stated, and you didnt read.) ALL hemp strains are sativa, most medicinal and recreational marijuana are also sativa strains,some are hybrid strains, and even fewer are straight indica strains which are generally weaker, Both being Sativa makes them closely related, NOT a distant cousin, any botanist in the world would disagree with you, read the above article instead of just talking BS about stuff you have not studied because you cant handle being proven wrong.

I never expected this level of willful ignorance from you coco, you did not even read the article above which is by the MAIN proponents for Hemp production in north america, naihc stands for "North American Industrial Hemp Council" sure, they arent the exact same variety, but they are the same genus, and same species, they are a different variety within that species, you wouldn't say a black person is not a "human" because they have some very different genetic traits from whites would you? NO, because we are still the same species, the same thing applies to plants, same species is same species, and NOT a distant cousin, the equivalent of a "distant" cousin in the plant world, would not be able to breed successfully with each other.

Another quote from the same pro hemp site. (they are also anti-marijuana)
"Industrial hemp and marijuana are both classified by taxonomists as Cannabis sativa, a species with hundreds of varieties. C. sativa is a member of the mulberry family. Industrial hemp is bred to maximize fiber, seed and/or oil, while marijuana varieties seek to maximize THC (delta 9 tetrahydrocannabinol, the primary psychoactive ingredient in marijuana)."

I hope that at this point its just a difference in semantics, me using what science tells us things mean, and you giving your own personal meanings to words, otherwise, it seems like you are just arguing with me cause you are pissed off at being proven wrong, hence your reactionary cheap shot earlier.

and btw, no, I will NOT chill out, when somebody I care about and respect, completely rejects scientific proof I show them, without even reading it, and then takes a cheap shot at me that I never would have expected, No, I WILL NOT chill out, even if its mostly my fault for being upset because I did not expect to be dismissed and and facts ignored so readily, I should have known better, oh well.

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: April 17, 2011 01:06PM

Those were good posts curator, from what ive read hemp does contain levels of THC albeit very low levels like you state. You would need to smoke/ingest a whack load of plant material to get any sort of psychoactive high.

Date: April 18, 2011 03:50AM

Thanks Chris, theres some cool stuff above too in that link about CBD and how it actually blocks people from getting high,nways, thanks for the comment, I appreciate it, I think im gonna check a couple other threads then go take a nap.

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables