Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I found a nutcracker in the street this morning
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 22, 2011 03:44PM

It didn't work but it got me to thinking about buying nuts in the shell. I haven't paid attention to the prices, but it probably would be a bit cheaper (of course, you have to automatically double the price to compare it with the shelled variety because of the difference in weight) and the freshness would also be better. Does anyone know if nuts in the shell are treated with heat, also? For instance, unshelled almonds...do they zap them after they've been shelled? I would think the heat couldn't penetrate the shell but honestly I don't have a clue. If I don't get an answer from anyone, I may contact some almond farm in CA and ask them how it works...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I found a nutcracker in the street this morning
Date: April 22, 2011 05:08PM

One of the things that got me to thinking is that people always talk about shelling nuts as labor-intensive but you could do it while talking to someone, watching a movie, etc. And I would just shell one cup at a time at most!

[www.amazon.com]

LOL @ above...I betcha Kidraw has one of thesewinking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2011 05:19PM by banana who.

Posted by: Mean One ()
Date: April 22, 2011 05:10PM

It's easy enough

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: April 22, 2011 10:44PM

I have made fresh peanut butter shelling them while watching a movie.
Made enought to fill a jar.
I think if the shell isnt split wide open,they havent been subjected to heat.

Opinions?

vim

Date: April 23, 2011 06:59PM

Man, Vinny, there's nothing like fresh walnut meats! The bagged ones can sometimes be a bit bitter. It would be wonderful to know that the uncracked shelled nuts are not heatedsmiling smiley I am going to the Chicago Green Fair in a couple of weeks. Last year there was a vendor selling "raw" almonds and I pinned him down about the rawness of the almonds because he had some spiel about them being "flashed-pasteurized" and I am saying that even if you only subject them to 212 degrees briefly, doesn't that kill the enzymes? And I think he finally had to concede that point. But if I see him again, I will ask about the shelled nuts because he probably knows the drill...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables