Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Does Supplementing lead to stagnation?
Posted by: vegcase ()
Date: May 14, 2011 03:41PM

Do you think that supplementing a certain nutrient may lead the body to believing it does not have to produce it on its own? And that it may begin to stop producing the nutrient because you are feeding it from the outside?

One example that got me thinking was silica for the skin, normally your skin should have this and produce it but if you apply it to your skin perhaps it will stop making it naturally? There are many things that I can think of that also make me wonder...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does Supplementing lead to stagnation?
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: May 14, 2011 04:07PM

In the case of silica that isn't the case. Silica needs to react with water to form orthosilicic acid, sufficient levels of stomach acid increase the conversion.

Which is why when we age our stomach acid lowers and diseases such as osteoporosis occur.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: May 14, 2011 04:12PM

Powerlifter, I am confused. If you wouldn't mind explaining that again. And are you speaking of silica by mouth? I was speaking of topical application, but I'd like to understand your description also.
Thanks!! smiling smiley

Date: May 14, 2011 05:02PM

Yeah sorry i was meaning oral consumption of either silica containing foods or supplements.

Your not going to run into any problems with topical application of silica. Out of interest what are you using topically?

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: May 14, 2011 05:14PM

The topical silica found at Sunfood.com.

I wonder about other supplements though... silica was one example, but how do we know that the body is producing what it should be? Does our supplementing many various vitamins and nutrients in smoothies and pills cause the body to slow production without them?

Posted by: Corathegreen ()
Date: May 14, 2011 06:52PM

I've always wondered about this as well. My intuition tells me to take as few supplements as possible, so that's what I do. I've always felt that multivitamins and many other things are pretty much crap invented and marketed as healthy in the interest of making money, just like most "health" foods you see advertised on TV which are actually soy filled processed death. The way I view it, if you eat right you need very few, if any supplements. I do take vitamin D, especially in winter.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: May 14, 2011 10:13PM

I agree, in my younger years I took some supplements thinking it was good for me, and had some pretty bad outcomes from them. I take some supplements still, but I keep it simple, like vitamin d, and whole food concentrates. I found these to be more effective.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: May 14, 2011 11:03PM

I ditto Corathegreen.

Vinny

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 15, 2011 02:07AM

"soy filled processed death"

will be the name of my new death metal band, Corathegreen.

I have not found any clinical evdence that supplementing with something that one is deficient in causes a laziness of the system, if that's what is meant by "stagnation." I'd rather get stuff from food, but sometimes the body doesn't cooperate for whatever reason and one might have to help it along.

Date: May 15, 2011 11:19AM

There are some exceptions such as hormones such as DHEA, glandulars etc. These can make various glands become lazy and atrophy them. There is thought that digestive enzymes also cause this.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Pame'laVik'toria ()
Date: May 18, 2011 06:50PM

The only supplements I take are vit d in winter, and a probiotic which I eventually will drop. I believe that every plant we eat has many vits and minerals we know of, and many things we don't. If the plant finds a balance to keep it healthy, it enters our body in a balanced way too. Pills aren't food so don't belong in the body if we can help it. Some things of course are necessary, but at this moment, not for my body.

My video to keep me inspired on my health quest: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 18, 2011 06:53PM

If you're taking a whole food supplement it's the same at eating the whole food, you just need to drink some water to rehydrate it (who doesn't take tablets with water anyhow?). I'd think the original question is sort of the same as asking if one eats food will it stagnate the body's ability to do what it does. Hardly likely winking smiley.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables